UConn vs Oregon Round 1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs Oregon Round 1

Reaction Score
We've had a player as good as dillon brooks the last 3 yrs???? And i'm not saying he's a bad coach, he's a very good one. But much better than ollie is an over exaggeration and isnt true

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We've had a player as good as dillon brooks the last 3 yrs????
Re-read my post. Brooks was not the best player in the country last year.

Reaction Score
Didnt say he was. Just posing the question for context. And the yr before it was debatable. He was VERY good. Secondly last yr really skews those numbers in favor of altman. If ollie has a full team all yr long then those winning %'s are significantly closer. And ollie has had stacked teams??????

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Oregon was stacked last year and losing his 5 best (almost all to the draft). Lets see what this year looks like
Nike does play a part in getting some players there as it has for their football team.
I will agree with CT Basketball that LATELY Altman has bettered KO but by no means has Altman proven that he is a much better coach. Also not sure that "stacked teams" is a appropriate term used to describe KO's recent few teams.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
KO has been the coach of some pretty stacked teams and we've fallen below expectations.

Leaving aside the argument of who's the better coach, that's a stretch. 2014 had it for sure. But all the other years? I don't see it.

I'm guessing you'd include 2016? While it did have some talent, I think it's pretty clear that team was fundamentally flawed at the PG spot. They had either a GT prototypical 2 guard or a freshman at the point. And the results showed as much. jmo

Reaction Score
Leaving aside the argument of who's the better coach, that's a stretch. 2014 had it for sure. But all the other years? I don't see it.

I'm guessing you'd include 2016? While it did have some talent, I think it's pretty clear that team was fundamentally flawed at the PG spot. They had either a GT prototypical 2 guard or a freshman at the point. And the results showed as much. jmo
Agreed. Altman may indeed be a better coach idk. But to say "much better" is insinuating 1 of 2 things. That altman is among the elite coaches(K, izzo, williams, Cal) or that KO is a bad coach. Neither are true. KO and Altman are pretty even imo with KO having a slight edge because of the championship.

Reaction Score
Adams was basically the only player on our team that looks good against Oregon last year. Nearly put us back in a game that had gotten away from our meager team of 8.

Despite the negativity of our fans I really like our lineup next year if we can get at least good defense from someone at the 4 and 5. We are as good as anyone in the country 1 through 3. 1-4 if we go small with Larrier at 4.

Point being, I like our chances in the rematch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have you watched any Oregon games to make this statement? I'm guessing you haven't - he's not wrong.

I watched him a bunch at K State. He's a solid coach. But game coaching isn't making the difference in this or very many games.

pj

Reaction Score

Who thought Shabazz Napier was the best player in the country before KO got him a championship?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Who thought Shabazz Napier was the best player in the country before KO got him a championship?
Outside of Husky Nation his junior season was pretty disgusting, one of the better ones in the Big East that year.

He became the best player in the nation when he led the comeback vs. St. Joe's. Villanova game everyone was watching him.

Reaction Score
LOL. What a hot take. Altman is a much better coach based on what?? We know you aren't basing it on championships

a higher career winning percentage, consistently in the top 25, always atop the Pac 12 conference standings. He's one of six active coaches with six consecutive 20-win seasons. He is widely regarded as one of the best X's and O's coaches in the country, as well as a great in-game manager. Ollie may have won a national championship, but his coaching results besides that are average at best given the amount of talent surrounding the team in the past four years.

And who knows what would have happened last season if Oregon had Boucher for their tournament run.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
a higher career winning percentage, consistently in the top 25, always atop the Pac 12 conference standings. He's one of six active coaches with six consecutive 20-win seasons. He is widely regarded as one of the best X's and O's coaches in the country, as well as a great in-game manager. Ollie may have won a national championship, but his coaching results besides that are average at best given the amount of talent surrounding the team in the past four years.

And who knows what would have happened last season if Oregon had Boucher for their tournament run.
You dont have to convince me he's a good coach. He may even be better than ollie. But "much better" he is not. Much better implies he's so much better than ollie that he'd beat ollie with a significantly less talented team, which he can not. Ollie can coach too, he's no slouch. Just ask izzo, cal, donavan, and hoiberg

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You dont have to convince me he's a good coach. He may even be better than ollie. But "much better" he is not. Much better implies he's so much better than ollie that he'd beat ollie with a significantly less talented team, which he can not. Ollie can coach too, he's no slouch. Just ask izzo, cal, donavan, and hoiberg
Lets end this argument
KO can coach
Altman can coach
Both can coach better with stacked teams
PERIOD

Reaction Score
How about they won one together. Neither pulled all the weight

Unfortunately right now it's looking more like Bazz was the bigger reason but hopefully KO can turn that around.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unfortunately right now it's looking more like Bazz was the bigger reason but hopefully KO can turn that around.

I've said it before, but having a stud Jr and Sr PGs makes anyone look good, Calhoun included. Unless they are transcendent freshman, it's pretty much essential in MCBB.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Of course Duke and UNC get virtual byes to the semis. Also, are we in Maui again because half the teams in our bracket were in Maui with us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom