UConn vs. Memphis @ J.O.C. (Fri. 4/1/19 @ 3p, Sat 4/13 @ 1p & Sun. 4/14 @ *11:00am*) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Memphis @ J.O.C. (Fri. 4/1/19 @ 3p, Sat 4/13 @ 1p & Sun. 4/14 @ *11:00am*)

Reaction Score
BSB Claims Series Win vs. Memphis, 4-2

Notes
  • CJ Dandeneau appeared in his 76th career game on Sunday. Dandeneau moves into a tie for third all-time in UConn history with Mike James (2001-04).
  • Christian Fedko notched his 10thmulti-hit game and fifth multi-RBI game of the season.
  • Anthony Prato's 41 game reach base streak was snapped in a 0-4 performance on Sunday.
  • 7-9 in the UConn order was 4-9 with two doubles on Sunday.
  • UConn has won four-straight series against Memphis.
Next Game: Tuesday @ UMass @ 3:00 PM

Reaction Score
Nate Panzer? He sat out last year and did not make the team out of fall.

Yup, Panzer had to redshirt last year (along with Gozzo and Karl Johnson) as was said here, was on the UConn fall ball roster but got cut.

Reaction Score
Ea

I agree with Coach Penders, Karl Johnson was the real key to this game, building the bridge to Wurster and Dandeneau. Coach Penders in a recent interview called his bullpen a three headed monster, with Wurster, Dandeneau, and Wallace. I'm inclined to think Johnson is threatening to make the end of the bullpen a four headed monster.

According to the interview, Dandeneau and Wallace (suspended for a game) are unavailable for the UMass game.

Reaction Score
The Wallace suspension is total BS. With that said, we shouldn't need Wallace to close out UMass.

Reaction Score
AAC through the weekend...

aac.png

Remaining AAC Composite Schedule Link

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I hope we start to pull away from Cincy or last weekend will be even more painful

Reaction Score
Nice week for us. I am still very concerned about the offense but our pitching was lights out (except Kersten) against a solid offensive team.

Next week at ECU will show us if we are for real.

Thinking about it, next week at ECU is hardly make or break series for UConn. No matter what happens, this road series against a team that is currently rated at 13 in the RPI should not have a negative effect on UConn's RPI. The only problem is that if East Carolina comes up with a sweep, then UConn will be under .500 in the AAC, and that is not a marker that you want for an NCAA tourney bid. Still, UConn would have three more conference weekends plus the conference tournament to make up for it

However, just one win over ECU keeps the Huskies over the .500 mark in conference. On the plus side, road wins over ECU would be provide some more nice markers for an NCAA resume that already has quality wins to it, plus it would provide probably a nice boost to the RPI. If you ask me, the potential gain for UConn out weighs the potential loss in this series.

Reaction Score
BSB Claims Series Win vs. Memphis, 4-2

Notes
  • 7-9 in the UConn order was 4-9 with two doubles on Sunday.
Next Game: Tuesday @ UMass @ 3:00 PM

Nice offensive production from the bottom of the order. Conor Moriarty had a nice series at the plate this weekend. He scored two runs on two walks in the Friday game, and had a double and scored a run in today's game. Hope this offensive showing is a sign of Moriarty warming up, similar to what happened with him last season.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
6 guys in the bullpen with an ERA or less. That will win you ballgames.

Our line-up needs 1 more guy to break out like Nuce did. I feel Gozzo is a candidate to do just that.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Thinking about it, next week at ECU is hardly make or break series for UConn. No matter what happens, this road series against a team that is currently rated at 13 in the RPI should not have a negative effect on UConn's RPI. The only problem is that if East Carolina comes up with a sweep, then UConn will be under .500 in the AAC, and that is not a marker that you want for an NCAA tourney bid. Still, UConn would have three more conference weekends plus the conference tournament to make up for it

However, just one win over ECU keeps the Huskies over the .500 mark in conference. On the plus side, road wins over ECU would be provide some more nice markers for an NCAA resume that already has quality wins to it, plus it would provide probably a nice boost to the RPI. If you ask me, the potential gain for UConn out weighs the potential loss in this series.

Completely agree from an RPI perspective. However, this is the toughest true road series we have played in all year. I will feel much better about our chances of winning a regional if we can go into this kind of environment and either win the series or come close.

Reaction Score
6 guys in the bullpen with an ERA or less. That will win you ballgames.

Our line-up needs 1 more guy to break out like Nuce did. I feel Gozzo is a candidate to do just that.

Randy Polonia is currently heading in the wrong direction after a nice start. It's odd, but as he is dropping down the bullpen totem pole, Avery Santos is rising, and they are the two guys who are basically making comebacks from arm surgery. The biggest difference seems to be that Santos is now one more year removed from being on the shelf than Polonia, and it is probably helping his arm strength. I suspect we will start seeing Polonia closing out not so close out of conference games, similar to what Santos had been doing recently, while Santos may end up joining Gardner and Simeone in the type of work they get. It seems that recently Santos has turned around his less than stellar start to the season.

As far as position players go, while Chris Winkel is not a great offensive player, I definitely think he can do better than the .245 that he is currently hitting. Also possible that Moriarty can get his batting average over the .200 mark. Also think that Kyler Fedko could be the one to emerge out of the D.H. spot, but we'll have to see with that one. Overall, I'm half thinking that if UConn can get a gradual improvement from the bottom 4 in the batting order, that will be a big help right there.

Also, while Nucerino has come on with a big rush, it would not surprise me if his average slips below .300. Still, as we have discussed, given all his other attributes, he still should be an effective offensive player.

Reaction Score
UCF up 15-0 at Cincy in the 8th. :confused: I guess the Bearcats gave us their best effort of the year.

They may have lost one game big, but Cincy took the series and that is the more important thing. Cincy got off to a horrible start, but they have been playing much better since conference play started. Even if you take the UConn series out of the mix, Cincy still has an over .500 record in the conference. They must be doing something right. The Bearcats still have the worst RPI in the conference, but to have 129 as the worst RPI in the conference is not all that bad at all. Overall, it is still a tough conference to play in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom