UConn vs. Maine (Friday 10/26/18 @ 7:05p & Saturday 10/27/18 @ 3:05p) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn vs. Maine (Friday 10/26/18 @ 7:05p & Saturday 10/27/18 @ 3:05p)

Reaction Score
Man, does it ever feel good to get to a point with this program where a Hockey East game seems like a sure fire win

Reaction Score
Great win tonight, but two concerning areas that need to improve. One is the lack of face offs won tonight, and two is the lack of scoring on the power play. I believe they were something like 1 of 7.

Reaction Score
My take on watching my first game this year in person:
This team can compete on a nightly basis if the freshmen skate hard, the talent level has definitely improved to a level where they can expect to win on any given night in HE, PK was outstanding, PP is AWFUL and needs to be figured out quickly, Iskhakov needs to keep his head up going east and west or he will get hit again like he did in the QU game, crowd was light to me..especially for a Fri night, Maine is definitely a better team than they have been the past few years. A good win that they need to duplicate again today.

Reaction Score
Kondelik is gonna be great to watch
Turnbull is another
Great to see miles back
El-Mir stepping up big with 2 goals

Reaction Score
Really excited about this team. like previous comments face offs need work and power play look not on point. but the 3rd power play and on I thought we were getting better chances also their goalie really kept them in the game. The area I saw the most improvement was getting guys to the front of the net. Starting off with a good home opener and ready for a great season

Reaction Score
He covers hockey as well as he covered football.
Mike Anthony: UConn Hockey Upperclassmen Karl El-Mir And Alexander Payusov Lead Huskies Past Maine

>>“They're creating their own confidence,” coach Mike Cavanaugh said. “You get confidence when you struggle and you have to fight through that struggle. Both of those guys have sat games and fought through struggles and found out what it takes to be in the lineup every night, to be a good player in the lineup. They've gone through that. It's something that they have a great foundation they've built.”

“The way you win in college hockey is that a Karl El-Mir develops from four goals to eight goals to 15 to 20. You have to have seniors who are very comfortable. I don't care if a kid is a 21-year-old freshman or an 18-year old freshman. It's new to them. The age really has nothing to do with it. It's experience playing in these games. The successful programs -- Dick Umile was unbelievable at it at New Hampshire -- where all of the sudden it was, 'Where did this kid come from?' And Sasha has put in the work, had a pretty good sophomore year and now he's off to a great start as a junior.”<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He covers hockey as well as he covered football.
Mike Anthony: UConn Hockey Upperclassmen Karl El-Mir And Alexander Payusov Lead Huskies Past Maine

>>“They're creating their own confidence,” coach Mike Cavanaugh said. “You get confidence when you struggle and you have to fight through that struggle. Both of those guys have sat games and fought through struggles and found out what it takes to be in the lineup every night, to be a good player in the lineup. They've gone through that. It's something that they have a great foundation they've built.”

“The way you win in college hockey is that a Karl El-Mir develops from four goals to eight goals to 15 to 20. You have to have seniors who are very comfortable. I don't care if a kid is a 21-year-old freshman or an 18-year old freshman. It's new to them. The age really has nothing to do with it. It's experience playing in these games. The successful programs -- Dick Umile was unbelievable at it at New Hampshire -- where all of the sudden it was, 'Where did this kid come from?' And Sasha has put in the work, had a pretty good sophomore year and now he's off to a great start as a junior.”<<
He did Hockey first...then got Football in the shuffle..Altavilla was moved off of WBB beat and got hockey

Reaction Score
No radio coverage of today's game, that's pretty disappointing. In the past few years campus radio station WHUS would pick up almost every game that IMG did not carry, and some that IMG did carry. IMG is not carrying today's game, no doubt due to their coverage of today's football game. But Alex Giner and WHUS are not covering this home game. WHUS did carry last night's game, but Giner did not do play by play. WHUS has cut way back on sports coverage this season, and now it seems to have affected their hockey coverage. Like soccer, there seems to be little student interest in broadcasting hockey. Alex Giner has been doing WHUS men's ice hockey for the last 10 years or so, but now I'm wondering if he has moved on to other things. If that is so, it does not bode well for WHUS hockey coverage. You can probably look for the odd game on WHUS, but I'm beginning to doubt there will be any consistent coverage on the station.

Reaction Score
No radio coverage of today's game, that's pretty disappointing. In the past few years campus radio station WHUS would pick up almost every game that IMG did not carry, and some that IMG did carry. IMG is not carrying today's game, no doubt due to their coverage of today's football game. But Alex Giner and WHUS are not covering this home game. WHUS did carry last night's game, but Giner did not do play by play. WHUS has cut way back on sports coverage this season, and now it seems to have affected their hockey coverage. Like soccer, there seems to be little student interest in broadcasting hockey. Alex Giner has been doing WHUS men's ice hockey for the last 10 years or so, but now I'm wondering if he has moved on to other things. If that is so, it does not bode well for WHUS hockey coverage. You can probably look for the odd game on WHUS, but I'm beginning to doubt there will be any consistent coverage on the station.

Thought it was strange as well... kept looking for it on ride home from the Rent and then again when home.

Reaction Score
Payusov gets another power play goal late in the second period to make it 2-0 for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Thought it was strange as well... kept looking for it on ride home from the Rent and then again when home.

Funny thing, Husky All Access has an ex WHUS sports staffer (Steve Tucker) doing the play by play of this game. I've also heard Tucker do play by play for Husky All Access for the odd soccer and women's ice hockey game this season as well. Still, I find not having radio coverage of these games to be a real inconvenience and a bit of a downer for me.

Reaction Score
The only part of last nights game that did not look good at all for the good guys was the poweplay. Nice to see they have turned that around today.

Reaction Score
7 minutes to go in the third period, Maine scores a power play goal to make it 2-1. Maine still on the power play since it was a major.

Reaction Score
Maine scores again to tie it up with under 2 minutes to go in the third period.

It's time for overtime.

Reaction Score
Maine scores again to tie it up with under 2 minutes to go in the third period.

It's time for overtime.

Bad timing for that major but @ some point you have to stand up for the team. Sounded like it was getting ugly.

Reaction Score
They shouda won that game.

That 5 minute major was garbage.
Guy hacks his leg, and he puts a glove to the “facemask” and he gets a 5?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom