Uconn vs Louisville player matchup | The Boneyard

Uconn vs Louisville player matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who will guard Shoni , Bria or Moriah? Or will they switch off like they did in Baylor game with Sims. Will Hammond guard Stef ? Kaleena on Taylor.

Reaction Score
“I don’t think that (the Huskies) think we can beat them,” Hammond said. “But we’ve got to have the mentality going in that we can. Hopefully, they get a little full of themselves and think that they have it in the bag.”

I love the assumption from Hammond, especially about thinking we are full of ourselves but hey whatever works for them I guess

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
“I don’t think that (the Huskies) think we can beat them,” Hammond said. “But we’ve got to have the mentality going in that we can. Hopefully, they get a little full of themselves and think that they have it in the bag.”

I love the assumption from Hammond, especially about thinking we are full of ourselves but hey whatever works for them I guess
A link would be great.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Oh, so what. The Cards said basically the same thing before they went up against Baylor last year. Oh, oh......

They're remarks before the NC game seemed a lot less cheery. I think they kind of knew lightning was not striking twice against a top team in the same season.

Reaction Score
We beat them by 35 or so for the NC.
What's different now, other than a smaller bench?

Reaction Score

I know that she's a part of Louisville, etc. etc. etc.
BUT to us UCONN fans, underestimating our opponents and getting full of ourselves is a complete dishonor to our program and the things that we've accomplished over the years. UCONN will bring the same fight that they do against any other opponent, and maybe even more. Ms Sara Hammond, you just got yourself into a bad case of reverse psychology . ;)

Reaction Score
Guard who? I'm more concerned about coach Walz as to what table top clothe shirt he will show up with this time. Perhaps, Geno may have sent him a spare table clothe top from his restaurant, with or without spaghetti sauce stains.
Who will guard Shoni , Bria or Moriah? Or will they switch off like they did in Baylor game with Sims. Will Hammond guard Stef ? Kaleena on Taylor.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

I see zero wrong with her quote. She's basically saying she hopes the Huskies are over confident because that might give L'ville an edge in that area. Let's be honest - L'ville (and Duke) have been a HORRIBLE matchup for UCONN. Every game we've played against the past several years have been complete blowouts.

This is not to say that both those teams aren't really good otherwise, but for L'ville, no matter how great Shoni is, she's gone up against Faris in the past (bigger, stronger, faster) and this year it will be Hartley and Jefferson. Bria's not the defender Kelly was, but Bria is also bigger, stronger and faster than Shoni, and Moriah is light years faster.

With Bria Smith out, L'ville starts (I think) Schimmel, Gibbs, Slaughter, Taylor and Hammond. That's 5'9", 5'9", 6'0", 6'1", and 6'2". The lack the speed, strength and size of UCONN.

Schimmel vs. Jefferson (not sure if Hartley will be on her or not) - Shoni is an uber elite scorer. Moriah is not. But Moriah is much quicker and involves her teammates much more in the offense, vs. Shoni who is more likely to try to take over the game on her own.

Gibbs vs. Hartley - Tia sat out 2011-2012 with a shoulder injury and 2012-2013 with a hip injury. But even at 8 PPG, she's a player who comes off the bench after Bria Smith. Up against a legit 1st or 2nd team AA in Hartley, I don't like that matchup for L'ville...

Slaughter vs. KML - Slaughter has been back from her head injury (I think that's what it was) and KML is back after her elbow injury. Antonita is putting up nice numbers - 8 PPG, 33% from beyond the arc, but KML seems to be getting close to back to her old self and again, KML's skill and shooting more than offset's Antonita's better athleticism.

Taylor vs. Stewie - Taylor is a really solid player - strong rebounder, especially on the offensive end, and is their 3rd leading scorer at 10.5 PPG, but let's be honest - Stewie is the best all around player in the nation (as a sophomore) and has the wingspan of inspector gadget. She's got crazy skills, height, and length, and is a matchup nightmare.

Hammond vs. Dolson - Hammond is a terrific player. Very strong and she's one who got away that I really wish she landed. Wasn't impressed with her the first year, but she's totally blossomed and is a really terrific anchor in the post for L'ville. Her offensive numbers are eerily similar to Dolson's, including stepping out and hitting the 3, but Sara lacks Stef's incredibly high BBIQ, proven by the fact that much of UCONN's offense runs thru Stef in the high post. Stef needs to watch out for foul trouble as she's prone to pick up dumb ones (especially moving screens) and Hammond is too good not to try to take advantage of that.

We all know UCONN will only have Stokes and Chong off the bench today. L'ville is MUCH deeper, and they have some terrific size off the bench (Deines, Dyer, and Henderson - all 6'1", and then Walton who is 6'3" and Vails who is 6'4"). I think Vails is out for the year as she's on the roster but hasn't played a game so far, but L'ville will go a legit 11 deep (their lowest MPG player gets over 9 MPG). If they can tire UCONN out or get us in foul trouble, it could be a closer game than anyone would have thought.

Anyway, I think all the current L'ville players know the historical "score" against UCONN. I certainly don't expect Hammond to say "UCONN has owned us and probably will do so again"...

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I see zero wrong with her quote. She's basically saying she hopes the Huskies are over confident because that might give L'ville an edge in that area. Let's be honest - L'ville (and Duke) have been a HORRIBLE matchup for UCONN. Every game we've played against the past several years have been complete blowouts.

We all know UCONN will only have Stokes and Chong off the bench today. L'ville is MUCH deeper, and they have some terrific size off the bench (Deines, Dyer, and Henderson - all 6'1", and then Walton who is 6'3" and Vails who is 6'4"). I think Vails is out for the year as she's on the roster but hasn't played a game so far, but L'ville will go a legit 11 deep (their lowest MPG player gets over 9 MPG). If they can tire UCONN out or get us in foul trouble, it could be a closer game than anyone would have thought.

I see something wrong with her quote. While it's fine to feel that way and talk that way behind closed doors, when you say that to the press then you really have zero chance of UConn overlooking you because you just gave them a quote they can use as motivation. But I agree that Sarah SHOULD feel that way and I do not find her quote insulting to UConn.

Also, Dyer is not available for this game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I see something wrong with her quote. While it's fine to feel that way and talk that way behind closed doors, when you say that to the press then you really have zero chance of UConn overlooking you because you just gave them a quote they can use as motivation. But I agree that Sarah SHOULD feel that way and I do not find her quote insulting to UConn.

Also, Dyer is not available for this game.
Disagree. The first part of her quote went "I don't think they (UCONN) think we can beat them. But we have to go in with the mentality that we can.". Do you really think that UCONN needs any "extra" motivation based on the 2nd part of her quote, hoping that UCONN over looks them, in order to win? I would doubt if the UCONN players are even aware of that since I'm not sure how much time they will spend on the net looking up L'ville player quotes, and I'm not sure Dailey would bring that into the locker room for bulletin board material.

I mean not to nitpick, but do you really think that UCONN will "overlook" L'ville "less" because of her quote? I get what you are saying in theory, but I didn't sense any snarkiness or arrogance in Hammond's comments. Also, I have no idea what question she was asked. Maybe they specifically asked her "Do you think UCONN may overlook L'ville based on the huge beatdowns the past few years?"...

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think it's fair to give a 19 year old kid a bit of a break when discussing a game against a team who has owned them the past several years...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno will not let UCONN overlook anyone. It didn't when they won 70 and it didn't happen when they won 90. Remember the team knows they are made up of the worst defenders and worst players in the nation.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

This is not to say that both those teams aren't really good otherwise, but for L'ville, no matter how great Shoni is, she's gone up against Faris in the past (bigger, stronger, faster) and this year it will be Hartley and Jefferson. Bria's not the defender Kelly was, but Bria is also bigger, stronger and faster than Shoni, and Moriah is light years faster.

With Bria Smith out, L'ville starts (I think) Schimmel, Gibbs, Slaughter, Taylor and Hammond. That's 5'9", 5'9", 6'0", 6'1", and 6'2". The lack the speed, strength and size of UCONN.

Schimmel vs. Jefferson (not sure if Hartley will be on her or not) - Shoni is an uber elite scorer. Moriah is not. But Moriah is much quicker and involves her teammates much more in the offense, vs. Shoni who is more likely to try to take over the game on her own.

Gibbs vs. Hartley - Tia sat out 2011-2012 with a shoulder injury and 2012-2013 with a hip injury. But even at 8 PPG, she's a player who comes off the bench after Bria Smith. Up against a legit 1st or 2nd team AA in Hartley, I don't like that matchup for L'ville...

Slaughter vs. KML - Slaughter has been back from her head injury (I think that's what it was) and KML is back after her elbow injury. Antonita is putting up nice numbers - 8 PPG, 33% from beyond the arc, but KML seems to be getting close to back to her old self and again, KML's skill and shooting more than offset's Antonita's better athleticism.

Taylor vs. Stewie - Taylor is a really solid player - strong rebounder, especially on the offensive end, and is their 3rd leading scorer at 10.5 PPG, but let's be honest - Stewie is the best all around player in the nation (as a sophomore) and has the wingspan of inspector gadget. She's got crazy skills, height, and length, and is a matchup nightmare.

Hammond vs. Dolson - Hammond is a terrific player. Very strong and she's one who got away that I really wish she landed. Wasn't impressed with her the first year, but she's totally blossomed and is a really terrific anchor in the post for L'ville. Her offensive numbers are eerily similar to Dolson's, including stepping out and hitting the 3, but Sara lacks Stef's incredibly high BBIQ, proven by the fact that much of UCONN's offense runs thru Stef in the high post. Stef needs to watch out for foul trouble as she's prone to pick up dumb ones (especially moving screens) and Hammond is too good not to try to take advantage of that.

Anyway, I think all the current L'ville players know the historical "score" against UCONN. I certainly don't expect Hammond to say "UCONN has owned us and probably will do so again"...
Not bad Eric. I will only disagree about the bench. I always look at close and competitive games to see how deep a team really is.

Against Rutgers, Walter, Denine and Henderson played 3,5 and 4 minutes. Dyer didn't play. I see about the same contribution against Uconn. A few points and a few rebounds.

This foul trouble issue is silly. Louisville is the one that can't afford foul trouble, especially Shoni and Hammond. Those two will have to play close to 40 minutes for UL to have a chance. And UL averages 20 fouls per game compared to Uconn's 11.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And the players themselves very much know that this is the game for this segment of the season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not bad Eric. I will only disagree about the bench. I always look at close and competitive games to see how deep a team really is.

Against Rutgers, Walter, Denine and Henderson played 3,5 and 4 minutes. Dyer didn't play. I see about the same contribution against Uconn. A few points and a few rebounds.

This foul trouble issue is silly. Louisville is the one that can't afford foul trouble, especially Shoni and Hammond. Those two will have to play close to 40 minutes for UL to have a chance. And UL averages 20 fouls per game compared to Uconn's 11.
Makes sense. I didn't look that closely at "close" games that L'ville plays. And I think UCONN is USUALLY too smart in big games to get into foul trouble, but Dolson has shown she's prone to pick up some silly ones. Hartley too. I predicted a 25+ point win for UCONN. I was just trying to point out potential strengths and weakness for each team and how it might possibly play out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom