- UConn vs. DePaul Game Thread - | Page 18 | The Boneyard

- UConn vs. DePaul Game Thread -

Reaction Score
Doesn't stop the off season message board chatter about improved depth though.

when you have a an exceptionally skilled six foot six inch player coming off the bench you have an improved bench compared to last year no? When Camara gets back into game shape and with Megan's continued growth that appears to be a pretty good bench to me...............I don't think anybody seriously thought Geno would go ten deep in the first three and a half quarters of a competitive game.................injuries to KLS, BC and Gabby have slowed down the process of team development but I think Geno and Co will get it right during the AAC regular season

Reaction Score
You mean like Lou? ;)
Haha - hopefully better than Lou...

upload_2017-12-8_19-43-5.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For those wondering what to do for the next 11 days replay those periods of this seasons games where UConn played good team ball on offense and defense. It's like a perpetual highlight reel. It helps, trust me.

Reaction Score
DePaul doesn't have a bench in the conventional sense. They have only 10 players who all play throughout the game, hence the mismatch at the end of the game
And they are in a situation of nothing can be losing entering the game...

Reaction Score
I never understand how our top 5 to 7 players are better than everyone else's, but our bench can't beat anybody's bench. Don't they go to the same practice as the starters? Are they paying attention? I just want them to preserve the lead, and not give away 10 to 20 points of the lead in the last few minutes. Yuck!

when was the last season the bench preserved the lead in the fourth quarter?...........I frankly don't remember

Reaction Score
OMG did Crystal just get yelled at for taking that shot? I get sharing the ball but she had a shot and took it! The girls is on

I think it was a couple of plays earlier. IMO Danger blundered big time. I'm only guessing ofc - but if you notice before she hit the 2 consecutive 3's the prior play Stevens had the ball inside - there were opposing players swarmed around her. From the time she got the ball - she faked a pass to her right then threw the ball back out to a wide open Danger. Danger should have shot. OFC a wild guess on my part- but I think Geno - while he was motioning something about a pass- I think he might have been telling her there wasn't enough to pass.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it was a couple of plays earlier. IMO Danger blundered big time. I'm only guessing ofc - but if you notice before she hit the 2 consecutive 3's the prior play Stevens had the ball inside - there were opposing players swarmed around her. From the time she got the ball - she faked a pass to her right then threw the ball back out to a wide open Danger. Danger should have shot. OFC a wild guess on my part- but I think Geno - while he was motioning something about a pass- I think he might have been telling her there wasn't enough to pass.
Yep. That was it.

Reaction Score
I thought Kyla look like she knew what she was doing on the floor. I hope she can get some more minutes at times when it matters more. I know Geno can win with 6 or 7, but it would be nice to have a dependable 8th player.

I don't see this yet.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Did I strike a bit of a nerve? Somebody else started a thread about how bad the last 5 minutes of the game were and it got plenty of responses. No doubt nobody can match UConn's top 7.

Reaction Score
Golly can you people cut the end of the bench some slack?
You make it sound like these last 3 or 4 are all HS All-Americans that now suck! Big difference between HS ball and UCONN ball!
They're out there trying their best playing better competition that just played most of the game with the hockey-subs system!
They'll need a lot of time with the first and 2nd teamers to improve their games! Working only with the end of the bench mostly in practice isn't going to make them improve their games by leaps and bounds!
It's amazing how fast an average player improves when having to work with the best players on the team!
When I coached HS Wrestling my JV practiced with the Varsity all the time so they had to raise their "game" to keep their heads above water! I told the JV's they better give the varsity kids they're best or else, don't chicken out, attack and see what happens!
I was usually quite proud of the improvement my JV's made from start to end of the season!
You complainers couldn't succeed at your jobs if someone was always dragging you down and holding you to an impossibly high standard!
Give 'em a break, will ya!

Reaction Score
Good game for the most part (we all know about the last few minutes ). I find myself lately saying “Put Z back in!” every time she in on the bench for a little while. Once she figure it out (and calm down from shooting threes) she could be really special.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good game for the most part (we all know about the last few minutes ). I find myself lately saying “Put Z back in!” every time she in on the bench for a little while. Once she figure it out (and calm down from shooting threes) she could be really special.
If there is one thing Z has figured out is that if she cuts hard to the basket, Crystal will get her the ball for an easy basket. While it’s still early in the season, they are working very well together.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No she didn't. she looked good for the brief amount of time she was in there. THAT was the only "good" thing I saw on the floor after the starters left. The bench players do not have to wonder why they don't get more playing time at this point in the season. All they have to do is watch their play on yesterday's game film. Film does not lie!!! :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Gabby often had that deer in the headlights look in her freshman year. She turned out ok. The frosh that stay will be fine.

She admitted on camera in an interview that she WAS NOT ready to play in the Stanford game back in 2014. She knew it, and Geno knew it which is why she didn't get in the game. That was not a game you put unproven players in, or players you don't trust.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's amazing how fast an average player improves when having to work with the best players on the team!

This is true. But leaving just 1 starter out there is like punishing the starter and not accomplishing much beyond putting game time under the newbies' belts.. Not a complaint, because most times it has to be a bit or more than a bit ugly before it will be pretty. As far as the complainers ... we are spoiled, some more than others.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This game was a good way to go on a 10 day break. UConn made it over the century mark for their first time this season. Batouly made it on the court. Hopefully, she will work her way into the rotation.

In a game that should be decided by halftime, Camara should get plenty of opportunity to show exactly where she is against Oklahoma. Geno has already seen the other bench players to this point, and knows where they are in their maturation learning curve. The Sooners (3-5) are in a downturn this season. They currently are on a 4 game losing streak, which includes losses to two unranked mid-majors.

The Sooners play #16 USF (7-1) today in Tampa. This game should give us a pretty good idea of what we'll see from them on the 19th. They lost to the only ranked team they've played to date @ #10 Oregon 92-74.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
They do have increased depth. Their 6th player is all-american caliber. Their 7th player - Walker has been pretty good. And I wouldn't close the door on Boutaly.
While this comment is more rhetorical than anything, when you are up 50+ in the last quarter and 3 of your starters have ankle/foot issues, you use your bench. Each year for several years, 2+ starters have had to sit out due to stress fractures or bad ankles. As a long term fan, understand this is standard Geno practice but while I trust 99% of his plan, never understood this one. By the way, while in Bill We Trust, I don't believe Belichick is perfect either :).

Reaction Score
Did I strike a bit of a nerve? Somebody else started a thread about how bad the last 5 minutes of the game were and it got plenty of responses. No doubt nobody can match UConn's top 7.
At one point, the UConn subs were outscored by over 20 in about 5 minutes. Hard to be that bad even if you put a high school team in so Geno will likely be at this best in addressing this.

Reaction Score
Yes, but it was particularly ugly tonight, because DePaul played regular rotation players, continued to use their press and UConn's reserves had probably not spent very much time in practice working against a press.
DePaul uses 10+ players in their regular rotation so not sure this is an excuse for this performance.

Reaction Score
Touly was open in the back of the D several times but the player at the high post didn't look in time
Yes, Molly especially slow and mechanical with passing. Not sure why - little to lose. Liked seeing her drive to basket a few times.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. UConn just wore them down mentally. Great way to enter exam week.
Think DePaul wore itself out. Their game plan of trying to run against UConn was not wise. Could have been one of the high scores of the year if Geno had not slowed things down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom