UConn vs Baylor | The Boneyard

UConn vs Baylor

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Oh Boy...this is a big game....many believe that the Elite 8 game is the most difficult...and to have to face Baylor in the Elite 8 makes it all the more difficult. We already know that Baylor's defense is rated #12 in NCAA Division I Women's Basketball. Since UConn's defense is rated #2 I guess it is fair to say that this probably won't be a high scoring game. But belying these defensive juggernauts is their offensive prowess UConn has the nation's number 4 offense while Balor is the nation's number 5 offense. Baylor has Nalyssa Smith an extremely talented player. DiDi Richards is highly regarded as the nation's best defensive player. Dijonai Carrington, DiDi Richardson and Moon Urchin are a Srs. and they don't want their season to end and they are playing with a sense of urgency. Baylor is an upperclassman laden team with 4 seniors, 1 red shirt junior, 4 juniors, 2 sophomores, 2 freshman. UConn on the other hand is a underclassman laden team with no seniors, 1 red shirt junior, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, 7 freshmen. But, Freshman Paige Bueckers is emerging as the consensus player of the year and Freshmen Aaliyah Edwards is fast being recognized for her improvement and may very well be the best sixth man. And freshman Nika Muhl when healthy is definitely a pest on defense and disrupts opposing teams offensive sets. Our Jrs. are playing their best basketball of the season.

If UConn plays as good as they did against Iowa then I am extremely optimistic that they will go to the final four. That would be a monumental achievement given that fact that they have no seniors and 7 freshmen. I would expect Baylor to start: Nalyssa Smith, DiDi Richards, Trinity Oliver, Queen Egbo and Moon Urchin with Dijonai Carrington coming off the bench to spell Trinity Oliver and getting major minutes. So, I will use Dijionai Carrington in the match-ups. I think in this game we will see Paige Bueckers, Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook, Aaliyah Edwards and Olivia Nelson-Odota starting. If Nika is ready to go...we may see her get some minutes when Geno elects to go small to push the transition game. We will see Anna Mukurat and Aubrey Griffin off the bench. So, I look for Geno to shorten the roster to 7 or 8 players.

Paige Beuckers 6'0" vs Dijonai Carrington 5'11" - Dijonal Carrington is very athletic, has quick hands and plays with emotion...she will push Bueckers. On the other hand, Bueckers will force Carrington and Oliver to play defense as Paige is always moving, cutting and slashing. They will have their hands full trying to stop Paige on the pull-up jumpers. As usual I will expect the first half of the game Paige will try to get her team mates involved and let the game come to her... I believe this match-up will be: ADVANTAGE UCONN

Aaliyah Edwards 6'3" vs Nalyssa Smith 6'2"
- Oh boy, Aaliyah will have her hands full here...I don't see Christyn or Evina getting this assignment because of the size difference. Nalyssa is an athletic 6'2" All American. I would also expect Aubrey Griffin and Anna Mukurat being called upon to help Aaliyah in trying to contain Nalyssa. Because of the difficulty that Nalyssa poses I see this match-up to be: ADVANTAGE BAYLOR

Olivia Nelson-Odota 6'5" vs Queen Egbo 6'3"
- Queen flirts with a double / double every game. She and Olivia are statistically similiar Queen goes for 11.2 and 8.6 while Olivia goes for 12.7 and 7.9. There isn't a whole lot of difference in these players statistically...but, given the way Olivia has been playing lately...I think we will see a SLIGHT EDGE UCONN but I wouldn't be surprise if these two players end up statistically cancelling each other out.

Evina Westbrook 6'0" vs DiDi Edwards 6'2" - I think Evina will be in for a tough evening as the slightly bigger DiDi will use her defensive prowess to prevent Evina from getting good looks. DiDi may try taking advantage of her size by posting Evina up...but, Evina's defense will be able to prevent DiDi from impacting the game in a major way. While Evina is capable of outplaying DiDi...I think it is fair to say that this match-up will more than likely be EVEN

Christyn Williams 5'11" vs Moon Urchin 5'6"
- Moon is playing inspirational basketball as a Sr. who doesn't want it to end...but, Christyn is playing like a stud. She was recruited as the best in her class and she is beginning to show it. I expect Christyn will be able to keep Moon in front of her and Christyn's quick first step will result in her outscoring Moon...ADVANTAGE UCONN

Bench
- EVEN

Coaching
- EVEN

Score
- UConn - 78 Baylor 72

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that individual match-ups are affected by team dynamics, zones played, switching on picks, stepping in taking charges, bench play, fouls and injuries, scouting and adjustments by coaches...but at the end of the day it is about the players and the match-ups get things started...game / team dynamics require adjustments which is what makes game predictions difficult...it is after all why they have to play the games.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Nan. No women's basketball team lists weights, but every men's team does. That's not equal.

Reaction Score
Oh Boy...this is a big game....many believe that the Elite 8 game is the most difficult...and to have to face Baylor in the Elite 8 makes it all the more difficult. We already know that Baylor's defense is rated #12 in NCAA Division I Women's Basketball. Since UConn's defense is rated #2 I guess it is fair to say that this probably won't be a high scoring game. But belying these defensive juggernauts is their offensive prowess UConn has the nation's number 4 offense while Balor is the nation's number 5 offense. Baylor has Nalyssa Smith an extremely talented player. DiDi Richards is highly regarded as the nation's best defensive player. Dijonai Carrington, DiDi Richardson and Moon Urchin are a Srs. and they don't want their season to end and they are playing with a sense of urgency. Baylor is an upperclassman laden team with 4 seniors, 1 red shirt junior, 4 juniors, 2 sophomores, 2 freshman. UConn on the other hand is a underclassman laden team with no seniors, 1 red shirt junior, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, 7 freshmen. But, Freshman Paige Bueckers is emerging as the consensus player of the year and Freshmen Aaliyah Edwards is fast being recognized for her improvement and may very well be the best sixth man. And freshman Nika Muhl when healthy is definitely a pest on defense and disrupts opposing teams offensive sets. Our Jrs. are playing their best basketball of the season.

If UConn plays as good as they did against Iowa then I am extremely optimistic that they will go to the final four. That would be a monumental achievement given that fact that they have no seniors and 7 freshmen. I would expect Baylor to start: Nalyssa Smith, DiDi Richards, Trinity Oliver, Queen Egbo and Moon Urchin with Dijonai Carrington coming off the bench to spell Trinity Oliver and getting major minutes. So, I will use Dijionai Carrington in the match-ups. I think in this game we will see Paige Bueckers, Christyn Williams, Evina Westbrook, Aaliyah Edwards and Olivia Nelson-Odota starting. If Nika is ready to go...we may see her get some minutes when Geno elects to go small to push the transition game. We will see Anna Mukurat and Aubrey Griffin off the bench. So, I look for Geno to shorten the roster to 7 or 8 players.

Paige Beuckers 6'0" vs Dijonai Carrington 5'11" - Dijonal Carrington is very athletic, has quick hands and plays with emotion...she will push Bueckers. On the other hand, Bueckers will force Carrington and Oliver to play defense as Paige is always moving, cutting and slashing. They will have their hands full trying to stop Paige on the pull-up jumpers. As usual I will expect the first half of the game Paige will try to get her team mates involved and let the game come to her... I believe this match-up will be: ADVANTAGE UCONN

Aaliyah Edwards 6'3" vs Nalyssa Smith 6'2"
- Oh boy, Aaliyah will have her hands full here...I don't see Christyn or Evina getting this assignment because of the size difference. Nalyssa is an athletic 6'2" All American. I would also expect Aubrey Griffin and Anna Mukurat being called upon to help Aaliyah in trying to contain Nalyssa. Because of the difficulty that Nalyssa poses I see this match-up to be: ADVANTAGE BAYLOR

Olivia Nelson-Odota 6'5" vs Queen Egbo 6'3"
- Queen flirts with a double / double every game. She and Olivia are statistically similiar Queen goes for 11.2 and 8.6 while Olivia goes for 12.7 and 7.9. There isn't a whole lot of difference in these players statistically...but, given the way Olivia has been playing lately...I think we will see a SLIGHT EDGE UCONN but I wouldn't be surprise if these two players end up statistically cancelling each other out.

Evina Westbrook 6'0" vs DiDi Edwards 6'2" - I think Evina will be in for a tough evening as the slightly bigger DiDi will use her defensive prowess to prevent Evina from getting good looks. DiDi may try taking advantage of her size by posting Evina up...but, Evina's defense will be able to prevent DiDi from impacting the game in a major way. While Evina is capable of outplaying DiDi...I think it is fair to say that this match-up will more than likely be EVEN

Christyn Williams 5'11" vs Moon Urchin 5'6"
- Moon is playing inspirational basketball as a Sr. who doesn't want it to end...but, Christyn is playing like a stud. She was recruited as the best in her class and she is beginning to show it. I expect Christyn will be able to keep Moon in front of her and Christyn's quick first step will result in her outscoring Moon...ADVANTAGE UCONN

Bench
- EVEN

Coaching
- EVEN

Score
- UConn - 78 Baylor 72
This game will require UCONN to play it's best for 40 minutes. You have to win games like this if you are going to win a championship. UCONN is ready, I am sure. I still cannot believe how Baylor was not a number one and NC State was, but that water is long under the bridge. This is as tough as they get, save Maryland which might even be tougher. We shall see how good this UCONN team has become. No doubt.

Reaction Score
Interesting read. Although I'd predict that Baylor will match up like this defensively.

Richards/Bueckers - Longer defender who can be physical and disrupt Paige's shot
Ursin/Williams- Quick enough to contain Williams off the bounce
Carrington/Westbrook-Similar injury history, stature, and quickness. Fun match up.
Egbo/ONO-The two true posts on the floor
Smith/Edwards -Agile bigs. I actually think Edwards has the mobility and strength to match up well here.

Defensively, I'd guess uconn plays a bit of zone and dares Baylor to make more than a couple outside shots.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Interesting read. Although I'd predict that Baylor will match up like this defensively.

Richards/Bueckers - Longer defender who can be physical and disrupt Paige's shot
Ursin/Williams- Quick enough to contain Williams off the bounce
Carrington/Westbrook-Similar injury history, stature, and quickness. Fun match up.
Egbo/ONO-The two true posts on the floor
Smith/Edwards -Agile bigs. I actually think Edwards has the mobility and strength to match up well here.

Defensively, I'd guess uconn plays a bit of zone and dares Baylor to make more than a couple outside shots.
Everyone knows that Baylor IS NOT a 3 point threat. :rolleyes: They shot a mere 3/10 yesterday beyond the arc. Box score

Reaction Score
Agree this game is less about individual match ups rather how the team adjust based on who Baylor has on the the floor. Not all are threats at all three levels, so knowing the scoot is critical. The rebounding battle will be big. To beat Baylor we need to limit second chance points. Egbo and Smith are also both susceptible to foul trouble, so attaching them early and trying to draw some fouls could be big. Carrington is the only consistent 3 point threat, but you have to at least threaten to contest with Ursin, Bickle and Smith because left wide open they will shoot and if they get hot is could be really bad.

Reaction Score
Clearly, I'm a homer, but this should be a great game. I think the mindset of both teams is "To BE the best you have to BEAT the best!!" And I love that attitude. ?Reminds me of the line from legally blonde (see gif below haha) And while I love all things UCONN, Baylor has a pretty awesome team. NaLyssa, DiDi, Moon (I love her nickname!), Dijonai, etc are super athletic, great ballers, and IMO much better than their seeding (as many have pointed out). Regardless, it's going to be a good one for us fans! GO HUSKIES!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

d7e28d4eeaa21f7a0be95951d789cc7a.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clearly, I'm a homer, but this should be a great game. I think the mindset of both teams is "To BE the best you have to BEAT the best!!" And I love that attitude. ?Reminds me of the line from legally blonde (see gif below haha) And while I love all things UCONN, Baylor has a pretty awesome team. NaLyssa, DiDi, Moon (I love the story about how she got her nickname!), Dijonai, etc are super athletic, great ballers, and IMO much better than their seeding (as many have pointed out). Regardless, it's going to be a good one for us fans! GO HUSKIES!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

View attachment 66361

Reaction Score
Thanks for that great read, @j66kicker! To be honest, the story I remember hearing was that her family was "over the moon" when she was a little baby, which is slightly different than that particular account. In any case, I just edited my post to how I love the name period. ?

Reaction Score
Thanks for that great read, @j66kicker! To be honest, the story I remember hearing was that her family was "over the moon" when she was a little baby, which is slightly different than that particular account. In any case, I just edited my post to how I love the name period. ?
Who knows? I never heard anything about it til I saw your post - her name always just made me think of Frank Zappa (who named his kids Moon Unit and Dweezil).

Anyway I agree - coolest name ever.

Reaction Score
I did not realize that Liv was 2" taller than Egbo and Edwards was 1" taller than Smith. And UConn matches height-wise with the rest of the Baylor team, Obviously, height alone isn't the whole story .But UConn might do better in the forecourt defensively and offensively than I thought. Especially if UConn can drop 3s, preventing Baylor to pack under the basket.

Reaction Score
Everyone knows that Baylor IS NOT a 3 point threat. :rolleyes: They shot a mere 3/10 yesterday beyond the arc. Box score
We have been shooting 40 percent in the tournament. 15-37. I’m confident moon and carrington will make those shots! And if smith makes one too. Watch out

Reaction Score
We have been shooting 40 percent in the tournament. 15-37. I’m confident moon and carrington will make those shots! And if smith makes one too. Watch out
Well Baylor (as well as UConn) have been playing relatively easier opponents, so yeah those numbers would be skewed and I wouldn’t expect to see that same outing tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom