UConn vs Arizona | The Boneyard

UConn vs Arizona

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The game against Arizona is a potential "trap game" (like Michigan may have been for Baylor). I assume the coaches won't allow it, but if UConn is looking past Arizona to the final game, they may get an uncomfortable surprise.

Reaction Score
The game against Arizona is a potential "trap game" (like Michigan may have been for Baylor). I assume the coaches won't allow it, but if UConn is looking past Arizona to the final game, they may get an uncomfortable surprise.
I agree. Uconn needs to come out of the gates guns blazing. Ari will score her points. We just need to hound them defensively. Arizona does not have the personnel to stop Paige, CW, Evina, and Liv. My hope is to have a 30 point lead heading into the 4th quarter and rest Paige and Evina as much as possible. However, we cannot look ahead and think of the championship game just yet. Remember with Mississippi State. I expect Arizona to come out of the gates like a bat out of hell. We cannot sleep on this Arizona team. They are in the final 4 for a reason.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I agree. Uconn needs to come out of the gates guns blazing. Ari will score her points. We just need to hound them defensively. Arizona does not have the personnel to stop Paige, CW, Evina, and Liv. My hope is to have a 30 point lead heading into the 4th quarter and rest Paige and Evina as much as possible. However, we cannot look ahead and think of the championship game just yet. Remember with Mississippi State. I expect Arizona to come out of the gates like a bat out of hell. We cannot sleep on this Arizona team. They are in the final 4 for a reason.
I believe that Arizona is in fact a very good match-up for UCONN. They are not very imposing up front and are not a very good offensive team minus points from turnovers and some spectacular doings from McDonald, who was not a very efficient scorer during the regular season (vs. her stats in the tournament). They are also prone to long scoring droughts and, other that whatever moves/shots McDonald conjures, really don't do all that well in the half court. On the other hand, they are tough defensively.

So, even at their very best on the offensive side of things, I don't think they can score with UCONN unless the Huskies have a boatload of live ball turnovers

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yeah. Hopefully against AU Paige will only see a meager 35 mins instead of the usual 40.
It's U of A...just like it's not Connecticut University...
looney tunes omg GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's U of A...just like it's not Connecticut University...
looney tunes omg GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem
I 100% agree - but the school itself would tell you its UArizona. A so far fairly unsuccessful rebranding to try and separate Arizona from Alabama on search engines.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I believe that Arizona is in fact a very good match-up for UCONN. They are not very imposing up front and are not a very good offensive team minus points from turnovers and some spectacular doings from McDonald, who was not a very efficient scorer during the regular season (vs. her stats in the tournament). They are also prone to long scoring droughts and, other that whatever moves/shots McDonald conjures, really don't do all that well in the half court. On the other hand, they are tough defensively.

So, even at their very best on the offensive side of things, I don't think they can score with UCONN unless the Huskies have a boatload of live ball turnovers
Fairly accurate. What makes Arizona tough for teams not named UConn is the speed. The defense is as good as it is because of some of the fastest hands I've ever seen.

I don't know why but I always follow teams that have long scoring droughts - first Rutgers, now Arizona. If I had to explain it regarding Arizona, I would say they get in streaks where they can't hit the broad side of a barn.

McDonald is all that and then some. But was inconsistent this year, much more so than prior years. For reasons unknown to me.

Of course UConn is much more talented than Arizona. UConn is more talented than most teams. I will be rooting for my Wildcats but I don't have any expectations that UConn can be defeated by them.

Reaction Score
you said it................I'm pretty confident that it won't happen but look past McDonald and AZ and it could be another Arkansas debacle.........

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
They haven't looked past anyone yet. What makes you think they may for this game? At this point every game is a snap shot in time, only indicative of that game, there may be trends to garner, however with only good teams left the players will have laser and tunnel vision on the game at hand. It is our job to speculate on games down the road. 3 down 3 to go. I enjoyed your post. it made me think.

Reaction Score
FYI ESPN just posted that we have the late game on Friday, 9:30pm
Saw that too. I don't know why with UCONN as an east coast gets the later game and Stanford, a west coast team, gets the earlier time slot. 9:30 PM EST is really not prime time viewing for the east coast. The same for 6:00 PM EST for the west coast.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Saw that too. I don't know why with UCONN as an east coast gets the later game and Stanford, a west coast team, gets the earlier time slot. 9:30 PM EST is really not prime time viewing for the east coast. The same for 6:00 PM EST for the west coast.
It’s the higher rated time slot nationally. UConn and Paige Bueckers will draw significantly higher ratings than even a marquee matchup between Stanford & SC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom