UConn Villanova series in the works | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Villanova series in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe that UMass and Rhode Island are available.

I guess I am not in on the joke. Why would we play either UMASS or Rhode Island? When were we rivals with them?

Reaction Score
They are however in a better hoops conference.

Oh, I see now. You are a troll. And probably a .

Unless you are a UCONN fan with just a bad sense of humor. So confusing.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Ollie may need to slow down with these out of league games. We could lose to all of these teams and finish 2nd in the league and end up in the NIT.

Reaction Score
I agree, it seems like we are the new SMU and I am starting to have doubts about our future.
I agree with you. I think UConn should be scheduling other P5 schools as nonconference basketball games. I have been previously chastised for this statement. But Georgetown, Villanova, are not helpful. I agree with Danzz. It would be better to beat up on BC or even RU for that matter than to play other midmajor schools.

Reaction Score
Ollie may need to slow down with these out of league games. We could lose to all of these teams and finish 2nd in the league and end up in the NIT.
Or, he could slow down with the OOC games, never test the team, win all of them, come in second in this crummy league, and go the the NIT, or end up a 12 seed.

He has to test this team against real competition. If we lose all of those games, so be it.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I think UConn should be scheduling other P5 schools as nonconference basketball games. I have been previously chastised for this statement. But Georgetown, Villanova, are not helpful. I agree with Danzz. It would be better to beat up on BC or even RU for that matter than to play other midmajor schools.

No, it wouldn't. The tournament selection committee doesn't care what league your opponents play in. They are interested in whether or not your opponents are good at basketball.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'd totally rather schedule P5 teams like Clemson, TCU, Northwestern, and Washington State over non-P5 teams like VCU, Georgetown, Villanova, and Gonzaga.

Reaction Score

First of all, if you lose to every single good team you play you probably don't deserve to make the tournament anyway.

Secondly, are you suggesting that a better path to the tournament is to beat up on cupcakes and try to make the tournament with a terrible strength of schedule? That's more or less what SMU did last year. That doesn't work.

Reaction Score
We will be treated better than SMU in a similar circumstance. The SMU brand wasn't respected in terms of value to the tourney. No way UConn is passed over last year with SMU's record. SMU was truly disrespected. However, we've earned that respect and if Larry Brown sticks around, so will they.

As far as the league and all this drama about playing tough OOC games:

1. This conference is actually pretty good, just weak at the bottom.

2. Playing the big names isn't just about RPI. More importantly it is about keeping us interested now that we play ECU and Tulane. We need big games for the fans to make up for the lesser games. They are a must.

3. The exposure we get is excellent. We are always on tv. We aren't fading away with all these broadcasts. We aren't being pumped because the heart soul of our team plays for the Heat now. Have to prove he's been replaced.

4. I'd rather miss the tourney losing to good teams than make it after beating bad teams. I'd know we are a paper tiger being around basketball for so long and I wouldn't enjoy the season at all.

Reaction Score
There should just be an early season tournament called "The Classic Big East Classic", played at MSG and featuring a field of teams that were at one point in the old Big East. None of this Creighton business

You sir are a genius

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
We will be treated better than SMU in a similar circumstance. The SMU brand wasn't respected in terms of value to the tourney. No way UConn is passed over last year with SMU's record. SMU was truly disrespected. However, we've earned that respect and if Larry Brown sticks around, so will they.

What a bunch of hogwash. SMU didn't get in last year because their SOS sucked and they had an RPI over 60, with a losing streak to end the season. We wouldn't have been in with that resume, ever.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not for anything relevant other than reading comprehension but Who Ha is stating he's given up on UConn landing in a P5 and feels UConn should play the BE foes.

Reaction Score
Per Amore on twitter, talks with Nova actually fell through for now and nothing is in the works.

I listened to Jay Wright's interview and he was asked specifically whether he missed playing Syracuse and Uconn. He said something like "we've got the Syracuse series going on now and we've had talks with Uconn." He didn't say anything that would suggest that a series is actually close to being finalized.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Or, he could slow down with the OOC games, never test the team, win all of them, come in second in this crummy league, and go the the NIT, or end up a 12 seed.

He has to test this team against real competition.
If we lose all of those games, so be it.

Exactly. The only time I can see playing a slightly weaker schedule is if you know you are going to have all freshmen. Although, then you can't expect the team to do much anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom