UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Villanova Post-Game thread

Reaction Score
I’m with you on this one. They looked tired, emotionally and physically. The Tennessee game took a lot of heart to win and the tank may have been a bit low today.
You are right. But they sure “dug deep” to find the energy to gut this one out. A lot of grit and smart plays ( yes, a dumb one or two). Aubrey absolutely took the game over at one point. Then, Villanova plotted to force fouls upon her ( and sort of succeeded). A great basketball game. Better because we won. But don’t watch next Sunday. We have 5 players and they have 10 +. And great ones

Reaction Score
KUDOS to the team ! Poor girls, no matter how you may say they are tired. I would make a "strategic" sub,one at a time, for Lou, Dorka, to some extend Alyah, just to "catch a breath" even for 1 minute alternately. Even 1 minute should make some mental breath besides physical one. They are tired ! ! It's great they can pull out a BIG WIN !!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Every time I tried to load the CBS Sports app they refered me to my provider. My provider offers CBSSports as part of a $69 monthly package. I am subscribed to CBS Sports through Roku and we have watched games on that streaming service in the past. This time Roku referred me to CBSSports and they referred me to my cable provider.
Sorry to hear that, @vtcwbuff. I am able to get the app on my Roku tv, but I also have the channel on my Spectrum cable. I was able to load the app on a chromebook also.

Reaction Score
Smart coaching by Auriemma. He saved his timeouts to give Aaliyah rest to knock down those free throws at the end. This team needs rest and so I do after this game. Siegrist and Olson looked like Batman and Robin, the Big East will have this UConn team Final Four ready.

Reaction Score
I’m with you on this one. They looked tired, emotionally and physically. The Tennessee game took a lot of heart to win and the tank may have been a bit low today.
Did Lou get hurt? I missed the first quarter, so I wondering if that impacted her game or if she was just extremely off. I was nervous about this game, because she and Edwards played such a huge role in the TN win, and I wondered if today would be a struggle. I really hope that Azzi or Caroline are close to coming back, because teams really be doggin' after her, and I can only imagine how exhausting it is to sustain fighting for your shot for 35 minutes. Thankfully, the team was resilent and Aubrey and Dorka stepped up!

Reaction Score
As CD mentioned post-game, they changed up the defense. Instead of doubling Siegrist they had Aaliyah face-guard her. She wasn't really open. Good move by the coaches.

Olsen scored all of Villanova's points (7) in the final 8 minutes of the game.
Sorry for being late in... I'm exhausted for the trip to and from Hartford, and the electric atmosphere during the game. It really is a different animal when one sees a game almost courtside.

With due respect, UConnCat, I've got to disagree with you and others who talk about the coverage on Maddy S. during the fourth period, not so much what UConn tried, but the reasons why Siegrist was skunked down the stretch. I'm a big fan of Maddy and have been opining she should be first-team A-A, but 'Nova lost a game to a tired UConn squad it well could have won for two reasons:

1) Maddy missed a bunch of first-half shots she normally makes,
2) As Ctkaiser said above, it really was 'Nova's losing touch with their meal-ticket down the stretch. Aaliyah, Aubrey and Dorka had turns trying to stop Maddy, but it took the Wildcats' late-game impatience on offense that shut Maddy down and enabled the Huskies to escape. Olsen is a super young player but she made a lot of questionable decisions in the fourth. Maddy was open and had looks several times and they didn't look her way.

That was my take from my seat a few rows behind the Huskies' bench. My brother and a longtime friend, both very knowledgeable basketball people who also were at the game, agreed they were stunned Villanova so conspicuously forgot about Maddy in the fourth.

All that said, I'm glad they did, 'cause although the Huskies looked physically tapped, they were wearily triumphant (and relieved) at game's end. Praise to Geno, CD and Co. for their ability win games that other top teams might lose.

Compliments to Aubrey for her performance, and to Dorka for a strong second half and several key plays down the stretch.

I won't get into a duel with all of those who talk about how rough everyone is with the Huskies. When I see first-hand how physical the Huskies are, and that refs called 18 fouls on 'Nova and 12 on UConn, I wonder if some of you are watching the same games I am. It's Division I college basketball, and it's a rough game.

Plaudits for the 14,000+ turnout and how supportive and loud the crowd was. That had to help the weary Huskies. I won't have such a good seat next Sunday (I rotate seats with friends and for South Carolina I'll basically be hanging from the rafters). Yet I look forward to an even more enthusiastic crowd then... I just hope everyone can stay behind the Huskies if they happen to fall behind at some point.

Finally, compliments to the pre-game and half-time programs welcoming and honoring cancer survivors. It really was well done.

P.S. Those fourth-graders from Madison, I believe, who played a short 'scrimmage' at halftime were so much fun to watch. They basically traded baskets for the full extent of their game. And they were having a blast... nothing better than seeing kids playing sports.

Reaction Score
There’s AG doubters on the BY? Who?
The difference between UCONN and most other teams including NOVA is that this is such a tight knit, talented team than any of the players can lift the team when others are struggling. Today that was Griffen
I agree that Mady has a beautiful shot but what was here stat of % of shots made. It seemed like She took quite a few shots.

Reaction Score
It’s very difficult to play Villanova in a low scoring
Half court game the lack of players does not allow UConn to press both half and full court and push the tempo
Which negates their superior size and athleticism
In last years big east tourney UConn was 9 deep
And constantly pressed and trapped Villanova
On the way to an easy lopsided win
Playing 5 players the majority of the game limits
How you can play which to me is just as big an obstacle as fatigue
Having had season tickets since 1996 this has been one of the most enjoyable seasons!!
The offensive execution has been so much better than the past few years and is a joy to watch!!

Reaction Score
As much as I love a blow out... It is also good for players like Aubrey and Dorka to have games where they are the stars that get a close win. Otherwise I think you can get players lulled into standing and waiting for Lou and Aaliyah to do all the scoring...

Reaction Score
Holy smokes! Not a pretty win but a win nonetheless. I tip my hat to Villanova and Coach Dillon. They played a pretty darn good game and had the game won if it wasn't for several ill-advised rushed offensive possessions.

Reaction Score
When a top 25 team with a good coach has a week to prepare for a game you know it is going to be a challenge. I wasn’t able to
Watch the game but reading the comments and looking at the box score this was certainly an atypical game for the Huskies. They could have packed it in but they didn’t even though shots weren’t falling. They fought back to take the lead and hung on to win. I’ll take it. On to Providence.

Reaction Score
I was there with 14,000 or so other nervous nellies, none more so than me.

Lots of pink colors throughout the building, and a tribute to a number of breast cancer survivors that was very well done. Touching.

I had underestimated Villanova, they are a much better team than I saw at Mohegan Sun in December when Iowa State trounced them. I thought they would play as a small finesse team but they are actually pretty physical. And Olsen is very good. In person, you can see she has very long arms. Dalce obviously gave Aaliyah some problems.

I thought we were done when it was 51-45, but Nika`s three that made it 51-50 really got the crowd into it. And it was a great crowd.

Gutsy three by Dorka. That was the shot that showed and she took it without hesitation.

Looked like Geno decided to go with individual isolations down low in the fourth quarter and that strategy won us the game. That, and some pretty tough defense down the stretch. Siegrist was held scoreless for the last 8 minutes, that is pretty remarkable.

Aubrey was special today. Really special.

She had four fouls for a long time and was able to stay on the floor and not foul out. Aaliyah did a nice job in that regard as well.

Aubrey`s fourth foul was in front of me and looked like a phantom foul in person but maybe the replay shows otherwise. I saw a couple of others like that as well (especially a foul against Lou on the baseline) but down the stretch, it seemed like the refs let the players decide the game.

I like how Nika is taking it to the hoop.

I saw that Stanford only beat Oregon State by three the other day. Ohio State (overrated IMHO) lost a couple recently. The Boston Celtics dropped three in a row recently before winning in overtime last night. A sportswriter friend of mine told me many years ago that at this time of year, late January to mid-February, strange things can happen in the basketball world. Win, and move on.
I cant let the comment “the refs let the players decide the game”. Then why is UCONN paying them. To me that comment means they weren’t doing their job, which they weren’t. this
game could easily have gotten out of hand Just like the Tennessee game because of referee incompetence.

Reaction Score
Every time I tried to load the CBS Sports app they refered me to my provider. My provider offers CBSSports as part of a $69 monthly package. I am subscribed to CBS Sports through Roku and we have watched games on that streaming service in the past. This time Roku referred me to CBSSports and they referred me to my cable provider.
Did you try Hulu? Im pretty sure we have the same package. i had to really search for CBSSports and found it on HULU.

Reaction Score
My respect to Nika for not getting into foul trouble. Villanova's #3 was literally on her butt all night--at one point I thought Nika would be charged with a foul for butt-checking her.

Reaction Score
A really tired team that played almost the entire game and was still able to pull it out. I am proud of you guys.
Some days you just have to dig in and gut out a win. I'm sure Geno and the staff will find plenty of teachable moments to grind on!

Reaction Score
GENO’s Angels at the Dailey Planet:

SuperMuhl
Count Dorkula
Captain Aaliy-ica
Loubo Cop
Flash Griffin
Azzi the Vampire Slayer
Duch Vader
The Inêsible Hulk
PattMan
Captain Amarvel
Hannibal Bueckers

… and beware, the Iceman cometh!!!

Reaction Score
I was impressed by Villanova. Siegrist is excellent, of course, but O’Brien has really grown since last year. And the freshman Dalce played really well. SJU turned out to be a paper tiger, but Villanova is for real. They deserve a top 25 ranking.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
18FF686B-08D3-4EB3-9901-1D98DE80B51D.jpeg

Reaction Score
Sorry, no. I agree Nova played good D, had a good game plan but Senechal and Edwards missed shots they have made a good percentage on all year. It happens and both were due to have off days.
As I said in another post, Uconn made the same mistakes today they have all year, they were just accentuated by the poor shooting.
Littlemin- - - The reason Lou and Edwards had poor shooting nights were they and really the rest of the team was exhausted from late 1st quarter on!
All the minutes that they've been forced to play because of all the injuries are catching up to our girls!
When a shot is short time after time it's because that players legs are gone, to tired to push off!
If we weren't "snake-bit" with the injuries and our girls were playing 25 minutes a game instead of 38 to 40 they wouldn't be so gassed!
Please give them a break, they deserve it!

Reaction Score
Littlemin- - - The reason Lou and Edwards had poor shooting nights were they and really the rest of the team was exhausted from late 1st quarter on!
All the minutes that they've been forced to play because of all the injuries are catching up to our girls!
When a shot is short time after time it's because that players legs are gone, to tired to push off!
If we weren't "snake-bit" with the injuries and our girls were playing 25 minutes a game instead of 38 to 40 they wouldn't be so gassed!
Please give them a break, they deserve it!
I am sorry but the tired narrative is getting, well, tired. So Senechal wasn’t tired shooting lights out against Tennessee but was today, same with Edwards? But Griffin, Dorka and Muhl weren’t tired so they shot well?
No, they had bad shooting nights, it happens and in no way do I need to give them a “break” because I am not one bit on them for shooting poorly, it happens, and they were still very much irreplaceable, important parts of a very impressive gutsy win.

Reaction Score
I get cbssn on direct tv 221
I’m still figuring out the remote and the channels lol

You don’t get a channel guide anymore with installation you have to use the remote. And when you are as technologically challenged as I am it’s an adventure trying to figure things out!

Reaction Score
Siegrist is a great scorer. She scored 25 points on 9-23 shooting and 1-6 on threes. She was held scoreless for the final 8 minutes of the game. That was the difference.
One of the best players I have seen in women's basketball but left this game wondering if something was wrong with Siegrist at the end of the game. Until the last few minutes, she was ungradable. While she missed a few shots, in the last 5 minutes when they needed her the most, she was somewhat passive, not going for the ball and when she got it, passed it back and seemed to avoid shots.

Reaction Score
I believe Lou missed 10 straight shots after she was hammered in the head and had to leave game. Her shirt was rarely tucked in due to a Vill. player constantly holding on and pulling at her.
Just emblematic of the continuing nonsense and physicality that is degrading the sport. She was tired to begin with but the constant restriction of movement, holding and hand checking was never called. The overall officiating has plummeted to a new low.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom