UConn versus UNC set for 2023-2024 and 2024 seasons. | The Boneyard

UConn versus UNC set for 2023-2024 and 2024 seasons.

Reaction Score

Both games will be played at neutral sites. The 2023-2024 game with played at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn and the 2024-2025 game will be played at the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, NC.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
New blood, yes! My only question, why neutral sights?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Uncasville, CT and Greensboro, NC are not on campus, but they are hardly neutral sites. Both venues will be packed with passionate Husky & Tar Heel fans respectively.

Don't be surprised if a few Duke fans show up to that game in Greensboro. Perhaps one wearing a faded 25 year old hat

hat 2.jpg

Reaction Score
Maybe its me but I don't like neutral site games. A home and home would be way better, both teams gets to experience a different playing environment. Playing in front of your home fans and an opposing teams fans in a packed house is much more thrilling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe its me but I don't like neutral site games. A home and home would be way better, both teams gets to experience a different playing environment.

I think it has to do with TV rights. ESPN sponsors a lot of games like this. I think that the tournament out in Portland is an ESPN created event. Good for ESPN and good for UConn's visibility. To retain the rights they can't be on either home court. The rights to those games have been paid for.
I hope that the schools get a nice guarrantee.

Reaction Score
I think it has to do with TV rights. ESPN sponsors a lot of games like this. I think that the tournament out in Portland is an ESPN created event. Good for ESPN and good for UConn's visibility. To retain the rights they can't be on either home court. The rights to those games have been paid for.
I definitely get that 100% TV dictates all of it but was just speaking from the perspective of the athletes. Should be a fun series.

Reaction Score
I’ll buy that

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Cierra Toomey will now get to see at close range the darker shade of blue that she passed up when she made her college decision ...

Reaction Score
Surprised that Banghart would agree to play a game in a smaller gym. I guess she has no complaints about the Greensboro Coliseum, unlike Jim Boeheim. Speaking of Syracuse, the Carrier Dome is big enough, I suppose.

Reaction Score
Maybe its me but I don't like neutral site games. A home and home would be way better, both teams gets to experience a different playing environment. Playing in front of your home fans and an opposing teams fans in a packed house is much more thrilling.
Hardly a neutral site. Is the XL Center a neutral site? I'm not going to MapQuest it, but which is closer to Storrs, the XL Center or Mohegan Sun? It's got to be close...

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Of three sites that @Skeets mentioned, Mohegan Sun Arena has the smallest capacity, not that much different than Gample, but under 10,000.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hardly a neutral site. Is the XL Center a neutral site? I'm not going to MapQuest it, but which is closer to Storrs, the XL Center or Mohegan Sun? It's got to be close...
Mapquest??? What are you a time traveler from the past?

GoogleMaps
UCONN to Mohegan - 27.3
UCONN to XL - 25.6

Guess it will depend on traffic. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You can be sure they have. It’s not hard for major colleges/universities to secure an off site facilitiy if they need to facilitate a TV network-sponsored game/tournament.

Reaction Score
I like the way Banghart is doing things at Chapel Hill. Expect her to challenge for a spot at the Final Four by 23-24.

This will be a great series for both.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Schools are lined up to play UConn in November and December. Three reasons:
1. The national exposure the game will generate for their program. UConn WBB games are on national TV. ESPN, Fox Sports Net, CBSSN and SNY. Every UConn WBB game is on one of these stations. I’m 3,000 miles away fro Storrs in Southern California and I get every game via these stations.
2. That game can be used as a recruiting tool before and after the game.
3. The experience/opportunity to measure your program against an elite top 5 team.

Not very many coaches would reject an invitation/opportunity to play UConn, be it in a tournament or a stand alone game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I liked watching Princeton play when she coached. The more coaches like her, and like Berubi, the better for wcbb. There will always be a place for size, strength and physicality in the game but at it's heart it should be a game of finesse and misdirection.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom