UConn v. Quinnipiac April 17th @ J.O.C @ 3p | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Quinnipiac April 17th @ J.O.C @ 3p

Reaction Score
8th inning, Nepiarsky gives up a leadoff double, then manages to strand the runner on the bases. Game remains tied at 3.

Reaction Score
Phew - a 4-6-3 gets Napiarsky out of trouble.

Rally caps!!!
rsally cap.jpg

Reaction Score
Lambrecht double drives in Toppa to walk off and win the game in the 9th!!!

Reaction Score
Chris Jones just announced PJ Poulin will start tomorrow. Suspect it will be a staff day with two days off after that.

Reaction Score
Interesting day for John Toppa. Went 2 for 3 at the bat, he's had a bunch of multi hit games recently. Also got hit by a pitch, so he was on base often today. Scored 2 runs including the game winner. He also got picked off 2B at a time where UConn really needed a baserunner. Getting picked off is bad enough, but getting picked of 2nd or 3rd is something of a cardinal sin. Still, despite the one glaring misdeed, he had another nice day at the plate. Still, like many Huskies, he needs to get on base more via the walk.

Reaction Score
With Hill ready to make his return, what do you think Penders should do and what you think he will do?

When Penders gives bench players a chance due to injury or whatever, they really need to take advantage of the opportunity. Two years ago, when Aaron Hill was having one of his periodic fits of not hitting a lick, Penders gave Willy Yahn a start at 3B. Willy seized the job, hit from the beginning, and never looked back. Lambrecht and Moriarty have both gotten a chance to show what they can do with Hill out. They have both had their moments and have shown that they could be good ballplayers in the future should they show further development. That said, neither has gone off and flat out won the 2B job in Hill's absence.

Because of this, I think we will be seeing Aaron Hill get another chance at 2B, and I would agree with that decision. Hill has as part of his resume that hot streak that he pulled off at the end of last year. He is also someone who is capable of getting on base even when he isn't hitting all that well since he is always willing to take a walk (he currently has a .344 on base percentage while hitting under .200). I'd hit Aaron Hill 9th in the order, and hope he gets on base some for Prato, Yahn, and Susi.

Last edited:

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Great post. I have a slight preference for Moriarity, who has significantly higher potential, but we need to start getting on base more.

We won today, but did not play any better than we did last week. Quinnipiac got off to a nice start this year but has been dreadful for a while.

Reaction Score
Great post. I have a slight preference for Moriarity, who has significantly higher potential, but we need to start getting on base more.

We won today, but did not play any better than we did last week. Quinnipiac got off to a nice start this year but has been dreadful for a while.

I expect Moriarty to be the starting 2B next season. Assuming Willy Yahn is gone, it wouldn't surprise me if Lambrecht surfaces in the battle for 3B next season.

Reaction Score
Lambrecht Walk-Off Top Quinnipiac, 4-3

Notes
  • The Huskies record their first walk-off win since March 26, 2016 against Columbia
  • Sam Nepiarsky has thrown 8.2 innings of scoreless relief over the course of his last five appearances.
  • The Huskies are 9-6 when the opponent scores first.
  • Ronnie Rossomando registered a career-high seven strikeouts in six innings of work.
The Huskies are right back at it on Tuesday, April 18 against UMass at 3 p.m. at J.O. Christian Field. P.J. Poulin makes the start for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Chris Jones just announced PJ Poulin will start tomorrow. Suspect it will be a staff day with two days off after that.

I find it funny that of the 6 pitchers who were considered candidates to start at the beginning of the season, three of them are in the weekend rotation, while the other three (Domnarski, Nepiarsky, and Zapata) are not getting any starts at all during the midweek. Rossomando has clearly won one spot, and Poulin is getting a multi game trial as the second midweek starter.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I find it funny that of the 6 pitchers who were considered candidates to start at the beginning of the season, three of them are in the weekend rotation, while the other three (Domnarski, Nepiarsky, and Zapata) are not getting any starts during the midweek. Rossomando has clearly won one spot, and Poulin is getting a multi game trial as the second midweek starter.

In an ideal world, Nepiarsky would be entrenched as the second midweek guy. However, if we took him out of the weekend 'pen, we would have approximately two guys who can be trusted in high-leverage spots: Russell and Rajkowski. I would much rather have Nepiarsky able to pitch the seventh inning of close games no matter where they are in the weekend and hope Poulin can put together some consistent innings than deal with the alternative.

Reaction Score
In an ideal world, Nepiarsky would be entrenched as the second midweek guy. However, if we took him out of the weekend 'pen, we would have approximately two guys who can be trusted in high-leverage spots: Russell and Rajkowski. I would much rather have Nepiarsky able to pitch the seventh inning of close games no matter where they are in the weekend and hope Poulin can put together some consistent innings than deal with the alternative.

It also shows you the importance that college baseball coaches place on weekend conference games vs. the midweek games. Like pretty much any other college baseball coach, Penders wants his best pitchers available to pitch the weekend games. They are willing to take their chances during the midweek. As for Rossomando, he is partly being groomed for both as a fourth post season starter for late May and June, and as a possible weekend starter for next season. He also happens to be a failed reliever for this season.

Reaction Score
Radue is more trusted than Rajkowski....but I get your point we need more than 2 guys to take us home during conference games on the weekend.

Reaction Score
The X factor with three solid innings. Made us sweat a little, but nice job.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I wish Zapata would get some run in blowout games (granted we never blow anyone out and hardly get blown out but still). I find it hard to believe that his stuff is that bad :(

Reaction Score
I wish Zapata would get some run in blowout games (granted we never blow anyone out and hardly get blown out but still). I find it hard to believe that his stuff is that bad :(
I agree 100%. Kid doesn't go from having good stuff freshmen year to stinking. It is mental for him right now. And how do you get out of that funk when not given an opportunity and then when he finally does get thrown in doesn' t perform perfect and then never to be seen again. We have too many bullpen issues for him not be be given more opportunities to turn it around.

Reaction Score
I've been calling for Nepiarsky for awhile as well and look what he has been able to do. Still think he should be one of our week day starters. For some reason him and Zapata just we're just thrown into the back of the doghouse at one point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom