UConn v. Northeastern 2/17 @ XL -- 2/18 @ Northeastern | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Northeastern 2/17 @ XL -- 2/18 @ Northeastern

Reaction Score
It is a big disappointment now. Terrible since Christmas with exception of VT game. Honeymoon is officially over for Cavanaugh and his staff. No more excuses - play consistently and win some tough ones now! Otherwise - bye, bye...
I agree that the honeymoon is over...and I like Cav...BUT to do what you want requires getting better talent with each recruiting class and that requires that the facilities get a facelift on campus. Good bad of indifferent hockey is no different than any other sport. I do think Cav needs to take a look at some parts of his program in the off season...and that has been mentioned already in this thread. Getting someone to come in and take this job that can win at a high level without any facility upgrades isn't going to happen.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It is a big disappointment now. Terrible since Christmas with exception of VT game. Honeymoon is officially over for Cavanaugh and his staff. No more excuses - play consistently and win some tough ones now! Otherwise - bye, bye...

Mike Cavanaugh will not and should not even be considered for replacement for five more seasons.

Reaction Score
Alex Giner on WHUS is saying this may be the worst period UConn has played all season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Alex Giner on WHUS is saying this may be the worst period UConn has played all season.

Of course it is. Its at Matthews.

Reaction Score
IDK about the worst. I'm here and I agree it was pretty pathetic other than the first 2 minutes.

At least we got some shots on goal(11) compared to getting less than 10 over 2 periods. (Forgot which game that was)

Decent group of UConn fans here.

Reaction Score
UConn is the 2nd lowest scoring Hockey East team for conference games. This team should not have the 2nd worst offensive production in the league.

Unfortunately, there is a good possibility UConn has to trek back up to Northeastern in two weeks.

Reaction Score
Since no one was willing to car pool, I'll drive up for the playoffs!

NU is a good team. UConn is crappy in cohesion, effort, etc. It's unreal. Entitled mentality. We played better hockey with Bruce Marshall's kids.

Reaction Score
Mike Cavanaugh will not and should not even be considered for replacement for five more seasons.

Maybe not, we'll see. There are a lot of other concerns for the AD now. He should at least shake up the staff. These kids have been worse than inconsistent lately - they have been listless. Something or, more likely, someone has to fire them up!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This team has shown too much talent in all areas to be playing like they have since the Yale blizzard disaster
Cav is not rising to the occasion and thus the team is not
In early January I had such high hopes for this team now I can see a real quick end to the season and let's see what players decide to stick around
The past 3 -4 weeks have been less than bad

Reaction Score
Just a guess. I have no idea.

I wonder if there is some real division seen or un-seen within the team after the world juniors???

The team without huska and tage kicked butt and won a trophy and they haven't been the same since.

Was there some real team building while in Arizona and with tage and huska back, it killed there momentum? Think about it. A standing ovation @ the Yale game for tage and huska, but little to no recognition on winning their first trophy as a team??

I would be kinda bitter and pissed too.

I wonder if those two getting all the attention and other media attention/NHL scouting etc has killed the cohesion as a team. (Not every kid is drafted and have people oohing and awwing every time they touch the puck)

I never played, so I don't know how the team dynamic is affected by some individuals receiving all the attention.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score

I wonder if there is some real division seen or un-seen within the team after the world juniors???

The team without huska and tage kicked butt and won a trophy and they haven't been the same since.

Was there some real team building while in Arizona and with tage and huska back, it killed there momentum? Think about it. A standing ovoation @ the Yale game for tage and huska, but little to no recognition on winning their first trophy as a team??

I wonder if those two getting all the attention and other media attention/NHL scouting etc has killed the cohesion as a team. (Not every kid is drafted and have people oohing and awwing every time they touch the puck)

I never played, so I don't know how the team dynamic is affectied by some individuals receiving all the attention.

Thoughts?
If that is the case then these kids don't belong on a team in Hockey East. The WJC is something that only a few achieve. There are other schools in HE that had to deal with this and it hasn't seemed to cause them any issues. If you look closely at the product on the ice, the kids just seem off...a step behind/slow...getting beat off the puck and physically out muscled. It isn't something we haven't brought up in this board before. IMHO it has more to do with their physical conditioning than anything else.

Reaction Score

Was there some real team building while in Arizona and with tage and huska back, it killed there momentum? Think about it. A standing ovation @ the Yale game for tage and huska, but little to no recognition on winning their first trophy as a team??

I never played, so I don't know how the team dynamic is affected by some individuals receiving all the attention.

Thoughts?

Overthinking things...

Reaction Score
Overthinking things...

Probably right. It was just a guess. I do agree they are getting pushed around in terms of physicality and endurance on the ice. I agree on changing direction in terms of S&C.

All year, win the ones you shouldn't and lose the ones you should win.

Is it leadership? IMHO, Pratt shouldn't be captain. He's a junior that causes WAY too many penalties that cause the team the game. Richardson or maybe Nichols should be captain. (Probably naas over Nichols)

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I'm certainly not worried about Tage leaving. He doesn't seem ready for Hockey East play at times, let alone a higher level.

Reaction Score
Probably right. It was just a guess. I do agree they are getting pushed around in terms of physicality and endurance on the ice. I agree on changing direction in terms of S&C.

All year, win the ones you shouldn't and lose the ones you should win.

Is it leadership? IMHO, Pratt shouldn't be captain. He's a junior that causes WAY too many penalties that cause the team the game. Richardson or maybe Nichols should be captain.
I think this will be a process and UConn nation isn't used to this kind of a process....most remember Calhoun teams dominating the 90's and 00's...remember RE doing the impossible with football. This is going to take a while...and won't fully flourish until something is done on campus. For Calhoun that was Gampel, for Edsall that was Burton/Schenkman. I know it can be frustrating but IMHO Cav has done a good job and things will improve. I hope he takes a look at his S&C program and makes the changes that seem to be needed.

Reaction Score
I think this will be a process and UConn nation isn't used to this kind of a process....most remember Calhoun teams dominating the 90's and 00's...remember RE doing the impossible with football. This is going to take a while...and won't fully flourish until something is done on campus. For Calhoun that was Gampel, for Edsall that was Burton/Schenkman. I know it can be frustrating but IMHO Cav has done a good job and things will improve. I hope he takes a look at his S&C program and makes the changes that seem to be needed.
Also put on top of that that basketball and football weren't building their programs in the best conference in the sport while having that significant facilities disadvantage against other conference schools.

Reaction Score
I think this will be a process and UConn nation isn't used to this kind of a process....most remember Calhoun teams dominating the 90's and 00's...remember RE doing the impossible with football. This is going to take a while...and won't fully flourish until something is done on campus.
HCREv1.0 took FB to the Fiesta Bowl playing in an off campus facility and practicing on campus just like hockey. I don't think that has anything to do with it. JMHO ....

Reaction Score
We played better hockey with Bruce Marshall's kids.
I was always a Bruce Marshall fan. He did a whole lot with a little. But I dunno. Understand you are deliberately using hyperbole a bit here though. If your point is that they played better fundamental hockey back in the day with far less talented kids, I guess you might have something of a point but you would have to look at film to substantiate that.

Reaction Score
HCREv1.0 took FB to the Fiesta Bowl playing in an off campus facility and practicing on campus just like hockey. I don't think that has anything to do with it. JMHO ....

He's not talking about a sheet of ice - he's talking about high end training and practice facilities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom