UConn v. Michigan State @ Fluor Field in Greenville S.C. (Fri. 3/15 @ 5p, Sat. 3/16 Dbl Header @ 1p & 5p and Sun. 3/17 @ 11a) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Michigan State @ Fluor Field in Greenville S.C. (Fri. 3/15 @ 5p, Sat. 3/16 Dbl Header @ 1p & 5p and Sun. 3/17 @ 11a)

Reaction Score
I know it's useless to second guess pitching staff management because of how much information Penders has that we don't, but I will ask one question. Kersten came out with an 11 run lead. With CJ unavailable probably for both games, and Wally having already pitched over an inning, how in the world do you use up Kevin Johnson for 2 innings there? Don't you want to see if you can get out of that game with the back of the bullpen and leave Johnson for a closer game later on? It was an 11 run lead!

Rant over. On to game two. Let's get our sweep.

Reaction Score
From a pitching standpoint- Kersten to a set up guy (Johnson in this case) to Polonia is exactly what Penders would want going into night cap. Gives Polonia no pressure first step back- and keeps the rest of the pen fresh for this evening.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
We have Wurster, Gardner, Simeone, and Wallace available if need be. I think we will be fine although I would have considered Santos in the 8th myself (I do not trust Avery in any situation in which we are not up by 10 or more).

Reaction Score
Game 1 in the books. Bats looking good today. Kylers shot off the monster was a bullet and missed going over by about a foot. My view from the mini monster.

Attachments

• 1552769827078313725277.jpg
    1552769827078313725277.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Reaction Score
But that's the point. At the moment, with CJ out, other than Wally there is no one coming out of the pen in whom we should have as much confidence as Johnson. It just seems strange to me that Wurster or Mayock didn't try to get the ball to Pollonia.

But whatever. Onwards and upwards.

Reaction Score
I know it's useless to second guess pitching staff management because of how much information Penders has that we don't, but I will ask one question. Kersten came out with an 11 run lead. With CJ unavailable probably for both games, and Wally having already pitched over an inning, how in the world do you use up Kevin Johnson for 2 innings there? Don't you want to see if you can get out of that game with the back of the bullpen and leave Johnson for a closer game later on? It was an 11 run lead!

From a pitching standpoint- Kersten to a set up guy (Johnson in this case) to Polonia is exactly what Penders would want going into night cap. Gives Polonia no pressure first step back- and keeps the rest of the pen fresh for this evening.

No real problem with the bullpen use, as the main thing was to get the game to Polonia in the 9th in a pressure free zone. Turning Polonia into an effective pitcher would be huge. If Polonia gets going and has his control, he would be a huge addition to the bullpen. He would be another closer. Penders wanted to get Polonia into this game, and didn't want to wade through the end of the bullpen and not risk it not happening.

Reaction Score

I think the emergence of Wang made that decision easier. I would also venture a guess that the staff wants to stretch Johnson out pitch-wise in case they need him as a spot starter down the road. I get where you coming from though.

Reaction Score
But that's the point. At the moment, with CJ out, other than Wally there is no one coming out of the pen in whom we should have as much confidence as Johnson. It just seems strange to me that Wurster or Mayock didn't try to get the ball to Pollonia.

But whatever. Onwards and upwards.

I think Penders thinks Wurster is the most reliable guy out there, him and Gardner. If the second game is close, we will probably see them as the bridge to Wallace.

Reaction Score
I guess you can question using Johnson but it just seems really nitpicky. I'll take getting a win and using 3 pitchers total any time

Reaction Score
I think the emergence of Wang made that decision easier. I would also venture a guess that the staff wants to stretch Johnson out pitch-wise in case they need him as a spot starter down the road. I get where you coming from though.

I think Wang may become the swing guy between long relief and getting the occasional spot start this season.

Reaction Score
Top 1st, Toppa singles, gets thrown out at 2B, Prato (who had walked) ends up scoring on the throw. 1-0 UConn.

Reaction Score
I believe Chris Jones said that Prato has been reached base in every game this season.

Reaction Score
Bottom 1st, Michigan State ties it up at 1 on a ground out. Nice play by Langer at 3B to end the inning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom