Uconn v. Lowell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn v. Lowell

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Should be a good game to work on some stuff for both programs. Like everyone has mentioned, gives coach Auriemma a chance to go deep with the bench, if everyone can play, and give some playing time to others.

A chance for his girls to bang shove and push around somebody different. A chance for Geno to try and make some assessments against another set of players. Usually this is done during the two exhibition games. Geno has this one game make make any last minute assessments and tweaks before they play Butler 3 days later. A top 25 team would have been a better measuring tool to use for this, but you go with what you have.

Had UM-Lowel not stepped in at the last minute and volunteered to play UConn, their season would have started 3 days later, and Geno would be making adjustments on the fly.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The UMass Lowell v. Northeastern game scheduled for Wednesday has been cancelled. Fortunately
for us, the problem is Covid issues at Northeastern not at UMass Lowell.

We're still skating on thin ice and the sun is shining. I'm not looking any further ahead than the next game, and I'm looking over my glasses at THAT one. :confused:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11th player on the bench will not come out of the game in the second half, and will not be able to slow themselves down [we always go this speed: "ALL Ahead Flank!"].

Same score as my submarine crew versus the French Subase ALL-STARS: UCONN (like us) 109 to UMASS-Lowell (like France) 16.....
@CDR-Ret if this your prediction, please post it to the Prognosticator's thread so that it's official, Thanks.

Reaction Score
I hate, hate, hate that Uconn is playing this game. There is absolutely nothing good that can come from it and everything bad. The possibility of injuries, the "wink, wink, nod, nod" from other teams, the fact that we could pick any five players on Uconn to play against the other five and it would be more competitive and give everyone more of a workout. A big win - "Well, look who they were playing against" A close game - "Well, maybe Uconn isn't as good as we thought they were." When I hear people say, "Well, for the rest of their life they can talk about "The time I played against Uconn.", my thought is "Well, if you're an athlete do you really want to brag about the time you got beat by sixty points".

For some - maybe --Yes. There's the game within the game. As an athlete you'd like to know what you did - or just amazed at others that are just "great." The athlete might remember some moments in the game for most of if not her whole life.

And for me- if a player gets hurt vs the best or worst I feel awful. I don't care about the opponent. The injury is awful no matter who they play.

Reaction Score
This should be a good low major team. I watched almost every game of theirs last year, as we knew a girl on the team really well. They should win their conference this year.

Thought one of their biggest issues was allowing top scorer Idom to take a lot of bad shots and play with low efficiency after their star 2G was lost for season. Their Pg is unselfish but was turnover-prone last year, she may improve in that area as a year under her belt and she has some nice ability/athleticism. Their 4 is from Australia and reminds of Ania, very cerebral and always in right spot. they will be real small compared to UConn. They have a wing Price, reminds of shorter aubrey, high energy and super athletic, fun to watch as she’ll really be something by upperclass years. Their 5 Solis was real up and down, but also has ability And one of better bigs in that league but disappears a lot.

Just a young, talented group that has to learn to play as a team instead of self & react better to adversity, like most young teams.

Usually, teams that are big underdogs have to shoot well from 3 but this will be a tall order for them. Most league games, they were simply better athletically than most all the teams in their league before a late-season swoon. I’d be surprised if they’re not an ncaa team, unless other teams loaded up on star transfers.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As far as playing time goes, this game is probably the hardest of the season to predict. I bet Geno has 3-4 guard forward combos he wants to test out and you know if he sees something bad on the floor he'll react. A guard combo I'd like to see at some point in the contest is Nika and Paige. Like to see Anna and Aaliyah on the floor together too. Be fun to see the Pogo Stick Twins out there too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For some - maybe --Yes. There's the game within the game. As an athlete you'd like to know what you did - or just amazed at others that are just "great." The athlete might remember some moments in the game for most of if not her whole life.

And for me- if a player gets hurt vs the best or worst I feel awful. I don't care about the opponent. The injury is awful no matter who they play.
I sort of agree with you HH. And injuries can happen against any team but if you are the player injured I think you would have at least want have a sense that it was in a game that really mattered. But there will be an opportunity for our young ladies to learn a few things about themselves so it won't be a total loss.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Let's hope this game goes off as scheduled. UMass-Lowell has had 3 of it's first four games cancelled or postponed so far. Nothing is guaranteed at this point.

1607541214852.png

Reaction Score
Folks looking for stiffer competition aren't going to find it in our next game after UMass Lowell.
Butler is 0-3, having lost to Providence by 21, Creighton by 47, and Michigan by 39.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Shea’s husband did UConn a favor by scheduling this game. You don’t thank them by running up the score. UM-L is not at UConn‘s competitive level. I believe Geno will be looking at how players play and mesh with other players and establish some chemistry. The final score is of least concern. UConn needs to catch up with other conference foes, some of whom (Villanova) have already played 6 games.

This will be our first chance to see everyone in uniform and play as a collective unit at the college level. I’ll be looking at who appears ready to play (knows some/all the plays, and those that don’t). I want to see for myself some of Aaliyah’s toughness we’ve been hearing about. I’m dying to see how ONO looks. She should dominate this low mid-major team. I want to see Christyn, Evina and Aubrey. All 3 should be able to do whatever they want to (run amuck). That’s the disparity in the talent/skill level between the two teams.

UMass-Lowell opened its season last Sunday with a 50 point loss (88-38) at Boston College. UConn would blow the doors off of BC if they were to play. :cool:

Op Edit - Correction: Providence has already played 6 games, not Villanova.

Reaction Score
So who you got? I don't know much about Lowell other than I think its in Mass. They have a good coach I'm told. Can anyone provide info about them? Do they have height for instance. Anyway I'm picking Uconn--119 to 22...
This game is basically an organized work out. The players get to see a different uniform. The UMass-Lowell coach is Shea Ralph's husband....so he is likely quite good. It was to be a "prep" for Butler...but that game is now cancelled or postponed. You can incur injuries in practice or walking to class, so don't add that concern on as a special worry. We have enough worries.

Reaction Score
UMass Lowell is about 10 minutes away from my work. For the entire Fall 2020 semester thus far there have been 52 total positive cases out of 16,062 tests performed on campus which is a 0.32% positivity rate.
This is indeed in stark contrast to the city of Lowell overall which has had higher rates over the last several months including an 11.9% positivity rate over the last 14 days (1881 positive tests)
However, whoever said that MA rates are amongst the highest in the nation is incorrect and actually the current cases per 100,000 people in MA is slightly lower than CT (3,975 for MA compared to 4,002 for CT). Both states fall in the middle of the pack here per the CDC as of today.
I’m thankful that UML was willing to take on this game and am glad that the huskies will finally get to start their season!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom