UConn v. Boston University (Friday 1/14/22 @ XL Center @ 7:05p on CollegeSportsLive.com) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Boston University (Friday 1/14/22 @ XL Center @ 7:05p on CollegeSportsLive.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, that guy thought that girl was going to spill her drink on him.

Reaction Score
Great game. Good earn point by the Huskies. I can’t take the overtime 3x3 gimmick seriously. I’’m happy with the tie and the 1 point. Really good game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Got my new UConn Hockey jersey on and was hoping this would be on NESN. Bummer that they chose BC vs UNH instead.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Got my new UConn Hockey jersey on and was hoping this would be on NESN. Bummer that they chose BC vs UNH instead.

UConn has by far the worst video production value in the league so I don't blame them at all. They didn't even get the video stream up until 3 minutes into the game.

Reaction Score
It was a great game. The kids for both teams played great. 3x3 isn’t real hockey. It’s a gimmick. The game was a tie. No shame in that.

Reaction Score
I’ll start by saying it was great to have hockey back. And now that the sting of the OT loss has worn off on the way home, it was great to get a point out of tonights game.

Yeah we gave up a breakaway goal 8 seconds into OT after we immediately fumbled the puck away but that is in part due to this clown show that is 3 on 3 hockey. For the life of me I’ll never see the positives in it. You want to open up the ice a little bit in OT to try to get a resolution? Just go 4 on 4. But 3 on 3 is NOT hockey at all.

Let’s be honest, BU deserved this game. We got lucky. They hit the post FOUR times. And Hanson had to stop another breakaway. Think about that, it easily could have been a 6-1 loss.
Our offense was rather nondescript. A lot of shots from deep with very few point blank chances that I can recall. Their skaters made more saves and blocked more shots than their goalie did.
The irony is that our best chance was in the first minute or two when one of our players missed a puck at the far side of the net that would have been an easy goal if he connected. Might have been that freshman center #24. Can’t recall the name but he made some poor decisions tonight with the puck.

Now on to Johnny Evans. Can someone explain to me what is going on? He’s now a center? Did I miss something? This guy was supposed to be one of the top snipers in the hockey east this year….and yet I don’t even know who he is anymore.
He’s barely scoring more than I am and I’m sitting in the stands. Shouldn’t we put him back with Kondalik with whom he had a huge year last year?
Last year: 15 goals, 14 assists, plus 8
This year: 2 goals, 5 assists, minus 8

The fact that we are only one point out of fourth without getting ANYTHING out of the man who was to supposed to be out top scorer is absolutely stunning to me. Tonight he had two of our three penalties. He did well in face offs though, I’ll give him that.

As for Nick Capone I’m afraid he’s 30 years too late. He’s a heavy hitter but always gets caught in those in between plays where boarding is always called. 30 years ago when hits along the boards we’re mostly allowed outside of the blatant board, he would been a treat for the fans with everyone going nuts every time he took the ice. Now you’re just waiting for the arm to go up every time he connects. But he still has a couple years left to improve we’ll see.

Refs were ok, stayed out of the way for most of the game, although everyone around us was stunned late in the game when evans was called for a penalty after we tied it (I didn’t see it). Then after we killed the PP, we had a player tripped on a potential breakout but no call. 99%of the time hockey refs will always call a penalty to make things fair in that instance- especially at the home arena.

At any rate if we can take care of business with the UNHs and Merrimack over the next few weeks going into a tough February schedule, we should be in good shape for the stretch run.

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I’ll start by saying it was great to have hockey back. And now that the sting of the OT loss has worn off on the way home, it was great to get a point out of tonights game.

Yeah we gave up a breakaway goal 8 seconds into OT after we immediately fumbled the puck away but that is in part due to this clown show that is 3 on 3 hockey. For the life of me I’ll never see the positives in it. You want to open up the ice a little bit in OT to try to get a resolution? Just go 4 on 4. But 3 on 3 is NOT hockey at all.

Let’s be honest, BU deserved this game. We got lucky. They hit the post FOUR times. And Hanson had to stop another breakaway. Think about that, it easily could have been a 6-1 loss.
Our offense was rather nondescript. A lot of shots from deep with very few point blank chances that I can recall. Their skaters made more saves and blocked more shots than their goalie did.
The irony is that our best chance was in the first minute or two when one of our players missed a puck at the far side of the net that would have been an easy goal if he connected. Might have been that freshman center #24. Can’t recall the name but he made some poor decisions tonight with the puck.

Now on to Johnny Evans. Can someone explain to me what is going on? He’s now a center? Did I miss something? This guy was supposed to be one of the top snipers in the hockey east this year….and yet I don’t even know who he is anymore.
He’s barely scoring more than I am and I’m sitting in the stands. Shouldn’t we put him back with Kondalik with whom he had a huge year last year?
Last year: 15 goals, 14 assists, plus 8
This year: 2 goals, 5 assists, minus 8

The fact that we are only one point out of fourth without getting ANYTHING out of the man who was to supposed to be out top scorer is absolutely stunning to me. Tonight he had two of our three penalties. He did well in face offs though, I’ll give him that.

As for Nick Capone I’m afraid he’s 30 years too late. He’s a heavy hitter but always gets caught in those in between plays where boarding is always called. 30 years ago when hits along the boards we’re mostly allowed outside of the blatant board, he would been a treat for the fans with everyone going nuts every time he took the ice. Now you’re just waiting for the arm to go up every time he connects. But he still has a couple years left to improve we’ll see.

Refs were ok, stayed out of the way for most of the game, although everyone around us was stunned late in the game when evans was called for a penalty after we tied it (I didn’t see it). Then after we killed the PP, we had a player tripped on a potential breakout but no call. 99%of the time hockey refs will always call a penalty to make things fair in that instance- especially at the home arena.

At any rate if we can take care of business with the UNHs and Merrimack over the next few weeks going into a tough February schedule, we should be in good shape for the stretch run.
You know your hockey. Thanks for this. It made me understand where our problems lie. At least a couple of them.

Reaction Score
UConn has by far the worst video production value in the league so I don't blame them at all. They didn't even get the video stream up until 3 minutes into the game.
the Athletic app is awesome, enabled us to watch it on the big TV using Apple TV

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We will not attract a better coach than Cav right now and maybe not ever. Sorry, not sorry. Like lacrosse there are a handful of championship level guys and a guys that have a moment in the sun. Programs and history attract talent and I still see Cav as on the upward trend. If may not be fast enough for some, but look at UNH, Maine, PC. They had their lightning in the bottle moment, but I wouldn't trade any of their guys for Cav. UMass is having their moment now, we'll see how long it lasts.

Cav is still building depth and looking for a few superstars to push over the top. If he doesn't make the NCAA in the 4 years after the new building opens then you can talk. Right now, he is doing a lot with not much.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We will not attract a better coach than Cav right now and maybe not ever. Sorry, not sorry. Like lacrosse there are a handful of championship level guys and a guys that have a moment in the sun. Programs and history attract talent and I still see Cav as on the upward trend. If may not be fast enough for some, but look at UNH, Maine, PC. They had their lightning in the bottle moment, but I wouldn't trade any of their guys for Cav. UMass is having their moment now, we'll see how long it lasts.

Cav is still building depth and looking for a few superstars to push over the top. If he doesn't make the NCAA in the 4 years after the new building opens then you can talk. Right now, he is doing a lot with not much.

Eric Lang. Better coach, would take the job. Has done more with WAY less. AIC makes UConn's current facilities look like the Taj Mahal. They have NOTHING.

Won't happen, but that's a guy who is CLEARLY better and would take the job.

Reaction Score

Eric Lang lives in Hartford and built AIC out of a trash can.

Reaction Score
Why do we want to change coaches? Seems like the Huskies are playing really well. Just beat BC at BC and played BU to a 1-1 tie. Doesn’t seem like grounds to replace a coach. More likely a contract extension is in order.

Reaction Score
Why do we want to change coaches? Seems like the Huskies are playing really well. Just beat BC at BC and played BU to a 1-1 tie. Doesn’t seem like grounds to replace a coach. More likely a contract extension is in order.
8 years of this and no playoff wins. Somehow still putting up .500 records in January before even playing most of the tough games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom