UConn v. Boston College @ J.O.C. (3/27/19 @ 3p) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn v. Boston College @ J.O.C. (3/27/19 @ 3p)

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I agree - but with this depth- during the regular season - if Kersten doesn't pitch better he could lose his slot on the weekend to Haus or Dunlop . Tournament time, in all the years I have followed UConn baseball, I don't remember having 5 viable starters for tournament time AND 5 trusted relievers.
I was thinking the exact same thing while following this thread. Feole's really alone as the ace, but 2-5 appear to be all equally solid. Our #5 this year may be better than our average #3. In prior years we've gotten in trouble deep in tournaments where we run out of arms. We have a nasty closer in Wallace. And we have CJ, Wuerster and Johnson in the bullpen with the potential for guys like Polonia to step up. The bats have been a little shy lately but man the pitching staff is looking dangerous.

Reaction Score
Wallace needs just 12 pitches to blow the meat of their order away.

Have to get 3B settled, but our bullpen is earning us a great deal of wins right now.

It will be interesting to see if the coaching staff gives Will Lucas a 3B start against Central Florida.

Anthony Nucerino keeps on popping up with starts in the outfield. Almost get the idea that if he starts to hit a little, Nucerino might take over in center field and Woodworth would shift back to 2B. In this scenario, Christian Fedko would move to D.H.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the exact same thing while following this thread. Feole's really alone as the ace, but 2-5 appear to be all equally solid. Our #5 this year may be better than our average #3. In prior years we've gotten in trouble deep in tournaments where we run out of arms. We have a nasty closer in Wallace. And we have CJ, Wuerster and Johnson in the bullpen with the potential for guys like Polonia to step up. The bats have been a little shy lately but man the pitching staff is looking dangerous.

Joe Simeone and recently Chase Gardner have had good moments out of the pen as well, as well as the odd bullpen appearances from Colby Dunlop. As has been mentioned by me and others, this bullpen has the potential to be extremely deep.

As for the the lineup, it has a distinct split personality. The top four in the lineup has been terrific, absolutely no complaints about Woodworth, Prato, Toppa, and Christian Fedko with the bat. After that, things trail off quickly.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if the coaching staff gives Will Lucas a 3B start against Central Florida.

Anthony Nucerino keeps on popping up with starts in the outfield. Almost get the idea that if he starts to hit a little, Nucerino might take over in center field and Woodworth would shift back to 2B. In this scenario, Christian Fedko would move to D.H.

The bottom of the order has had a rough go of it. If Nucerino can even hit .240ish along with his ability to walk, I can see your scenario taking place full time.

Reaction Score
Damn, this is putting me in a tough spot. Every time I don't comment during a game, in a game/series thread, we win. Every time I do during the game (except for UL opening weekend), we lose the game (to UVA) or series (1-2 to CofC). As much as I love all of you, I love UConn baseball more. So, until it is indisputably proven wrong, I regret to say I won't be live-commenting during games, though I will continue to lurk and read along as the game plays out (which I've been doing). Happy to have beat BCU, on to Orlando. Can't wait to not post at all!

For the record, the Coastal tourney at 2-2 was a push, with no comments from me.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
These past 2 games are the ones that they have to win. Unlike last year when they tended to somehow let the NE foes beat them. BCU isn't an easy opponent
Love the bullpen right now
Not that worried about the bats, hopefully its the colder weather??????????????????????

Reaction Score
These past 2 games are the ones that they have to win. Unlike last year when they tended to somehow let the NE foes beat them. BCU isn't an easy opponent
Not that worried about the bats, hopefully its the colder weather??????????????????????

Not last year. Last season UConn went 8-1-1 against New England teams, losing their last midweek game to Rhode Island and getting a tie with Bryant. I'll gladly take a record like that against New England teams any year, it would be very difficult to do any better.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Hopefully you are right about the bats.

We did fairly well vs. New England teams last year if I recall correctly. The year before was a nightmare, though.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Not last year. Last season UConn went 8-1-1 against New England teams, losing their last midweek game to Rhode Island and getting a tie with Bryant. I'll gladly take a record like that against New England teams any year, it would be very difficult to do any better.

Ninja!

Bryant was a tough team last year, too. Going 2-0-1 vs. them, BC and Northeastern was good for us.

Reaction Score
Almost a clean interview, before the kid started yelling for his dad in the background.

The problem with all the background noise in the past during the post game interviews was that it could be very difficult to hear Penders at times. Haven't had that problem at all recently, especially in the first two games at UConn. While there might be some noise, Penders comes in pretty much loud and clear. I don't know if they put a moratorium on tractors and such during the interviews, but whatever they did has helped a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ninja!

Bryant was a tough team last year, too. Going 2-0-1 vs. them, BC and Northeastern was good for us.

That one was easy. I looked up the record several days ago and threw it into another thread no more than a week ago.

Reaction Score

Interesting stuff from Coach Penders about both Colby Dunlop and Caleb Wurster. Ok for him to give up those singles as long as he isn't walking the universe as well. With Wurster, Penders talks about his development starting from he was redshirted last season when he wasn't ready to be effective until now.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Interesting stuff from Coach Penders about both Colby Dunlop and Caleb Wurster. Ok for him to give up those singles as long as he isn't walking the universe as well. With Wurster, Penders talks about his development starting from he was redshirted last season when he wasn't ready to be effective until now.

Some of those singles were seeing eye, too. He was probably unlucky to give up the number of hits that he did.

If we force inferior teams to earn their runs, we are going to do very well in New England play once again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pitching Shuts Down Boston College, 3-1

Notes
  • The Huskies have won four-straight against Boston College and move to 62-41 all-time against the Eagles.
  • Mike Woodworth collected his team-leading 12th multi-hit game of the season.
  • UConn is 7-3 this season when they score in the first inning this season.
  • Caleb Wurster has thrown 6.1 consecutive scoreless frames in his last five appearances.
  • Colby Dunlop has allowed one earned run in his last 14.2 innings (5 appearances, two starts)

Reaction Score
Thank you to everyone that contributes to the play by play of game day threads!! Nothing like coming home from work and reading from the start!

Also .... I vote that Nick stay away from the live threads a little while longer... we need more data before we come to a conclusion ...

Reaction Score
Couldn't watch today. Nice read thru. Thanks for the play by play!

And nice win Huskies! Sounds like the pitching staff continue to impress.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom