UConn USA Today Preview #93 | The Boneyard

UConn USA Today Preview #93

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
If you take out the inflammatory language (and there is a lot of it) it is a pretty fair preview. Certainly a decent amount of respect for Diaco but just questions how long it will take to make an impact. I'd also say he's more upbeat on McCombs than most around here are.

"McCombs is a bell-cow, one of those backs who grows stronger as the game wears on – though that wasn't always the case in 2013 – and as such should be viewed as one of three building blocks of UConn's offense: McCombs, Cochrane, Davis."

No mention of Arkeel or Marriner.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...r-schedule-depth-chart-football-four/9730789/

Also, Memphis came in previously at #96.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...review-roster-schedule-football-four/9632647/

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I almost posted the other day that the USF game is going to be huge. That is one they will need in the worst way.

Reaction Score
It will interesting to see what a stronger and slightly bigger Lyle can do. I still think Newsome gets a lot of carries this year.

Reaction Score
I think it's a very good assessment and it identifies the two key areas of question in our upcoming season:

1) The OL is just about a complete unknown. P and GDL could not have duck*ed this up more than they did. If we get good OL plan in 2014, Foley should be given the keys to the kingdom. I am not expecting good OL play, especially early in the season. I just don't know how you put that much youth and inexperience in place and not struggle...at least out the gate.
2) The new defensive scheme will take time to master and we will be doing it with some inexperience at LB. I like Ashiru, but outside of him I don't see anything that remotely resembles Fincher, Lansanah, Lutrus, Wilson, Sio, Yawin. Hopefully there are some young guys who come up to fill spots.

6 wins and a bowl and Diaco will have done one hell of a job out the gate. I don't expect it. Too much to fix.

Reaction Score
He is a little shallow in assessing our depth at RB and WR. But for most people outside of the yard these guys are a mystery. I believe we have both talent and depth. The rest is up to coaching and our OL, which is probably a mystery to all but themselves and maybe Coach Foley.

I like our D more than most seem to. Just have a feeling the line will perform with better energy and the secondary will make plays. Backers will be a mixed bag that hopefully develops consistency as the season progresses.

Specials have to be better. And the best news is we're talking football on the board.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
He is a little shallow in assessing our depth at RB and WR. But for most people outside of the yard these guys are a mystery. I believe we have both talent and depth. The rest is up to coaching and our OL, which is probably a mystery to all but themselves and maybe Coach Foley.

I like our D more than most seem to. Just have a feeling the line will perform with better energy and the secondary will make plays. Backers will be a mixed bag that hopefully develops consistency as the season progresses.

Specials have to be better. And the best news is we're talking football on the board.

Big question for me on D is getting pressure on the QB and whether we can do it consistently enough. I would imagine we'll be decent against the run but someone like Reuben Frank will need to step up big time and prove to be a pass rush threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom