UConn Unc Breakdown | The Boneyard

UConn Unc Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A shocking prediction! Went out on a limb on this one!

Reaction Score
It is an interesting matchup.

What separates UConn and UNC, however, is grit. That team is Downy tissue-paper soft and Uconns core is battle-tested and proven. Once that game gets into the grinder, Uconn pulls away.

Here is a matchup breakdown

PG - Napier Vs Marshall -- size vs speed. steady vs swagger. To me this is a toss-up skill-wise(I am a fan of Marshalls game, personally), but experience edge and savvy goes to Napier. Slight Edge UCONN

SG - Lamb Vs Strickland -- Strickland, to my eye, has underachieved in his time with the 'Heels. Lamb has 2-3 inches in height on him and will be the premier scorer in college basketball this year. Big Edge to UCONN

SF- 'Scoe Vs Barnes -- I think that 'Scoe matches up very, very well with Harrison Barnes athletically, and knows his role on the team. Still, Barnes has a tremendous amount of skill and Savvy. As their go-to player, Big Edge to UNC.

PF - Oriahki Vs Henson -- Another interesting matchup of dissimilar players. Henson is a beanpole who uses his length to make plays. Oriakhi is a monster. I see this matchup really being a struggle for Henson, as Oriahki is more athletic, stronger, and never gives an inch. Henson is an OK player, but this is a terrible matchup for him. Edge to Uconn

C - Drummond Vs Zeller -- First of all, no one knows how Drummond will perform this year, so this is a complete projection. Zeller is a good little player, but in my viewings, has really struggled without a clear size/strength advantage. This is a case of that. However, I'll be conservative, with the expectation that I will be wrong. Edge: Slight UNC

Total: Uconn has an Edge in 3 of the 5 individual matchups, at PG, SG, and PF. i think we are a more athletic overall, and have much better ability to switch our game up from a run and gun situation to a slog and grind situation.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I'd give Marshall a slight edge over Shabazz at this point only because he ran the team last year and it will basically be the same team...SN will have a big adjustment wo Kemba...

I agree with the rest...the key could be the benches...

I like our defense and match ups...but this is a pick em game...if they play 10 times, 5 each imo...

Reaction Score
Oriakhi and Henson is a toss up to me. Drummond I think has an edge over Zeller.

I love Napier and he would give Marshall problems but you prolly have to give the edge to Marshall. Barnes and Lamb and the two easy calls in the matchup.

I think UNC has the edge just because they are bringing James McAdoo off the bench. But who knows hope we get to play them.

Reaction Score
I think Uconn has the intangibles to beat anyone, including UNC. But at first blush, I give unc 3/4 and one push, based on AO at PF and AD at C.

PG - Napier Vs Marshall -- This one is very close. Marshall looked very mature leading unc last year as a freshman and his assist numbers are really good. If SN can avoid lapses and shoot a bit better, SN could move slightly ahead. push

SG - Lamb Vs Strickland -- Lamb is just a better player: too long and smooth on both offense and defense. Edge uconn

SF- Smith Vs Barnes -- Similar to above, I thought Barnes looked like a first team AA by the end of the year. He is deadly on offense. Edge unc

PF - Oriahki Vs Henson -- I actually think this is a mismatch in favor of Henson. I think AO would hold his own on defense against Henson as well as getting rebounds, but I can't see him scoring either. Henson's length would cause Oriakhi trouble. Edge unc

C - Drummond Vs Zeller -- I can't really put AD over Zeller yet either. Zeller is quite savvy and I think AD would have some trouble with a 7ft senior with good post moves. edge unc (for now)

Reaction Score
We really do not know what kind of jump the young pups will make one year to the next- the only one that looks like a lock right now is Lamb and if he is playing as well as everyone has reported I'll give us the edge there. UCONN

Bazz is going to need to be very heady at point this year and show he can make all the right choices with the ball. He is aggressive and that can both help and hurt you- if he makes a good jump we might have the edge- as things stand from last year I think you have to give Marshall this one. UNC

Barnes is a beast. Although if we were playing them head to head it will be nice to have our best D player on him- might be able to slow him down a bit. UNC

Henson is very athletic and can score in lots of ways. AO is bigger and stronger but I would have to give the edge to UNC.

AD should be able to match Zeller by the time we would play them- early in the year I think Zeller would out nasty AD and you would find AD on the pine with foul trouble. If we are talking March I am going to give AD the edge because he is a beast- Zeller is not a beast. UCONN

So basically UNC is the more talented team. If you go to their bench-the next 5 could be a top 25 team no problem-edge UNC.

Here's the rub for UNC- we were only the most talented team one of the three years we won the NC. Having the most talent does not always equate to Ws in the post season.
I expect UNC to be in the FF this year- they are loaded, deep and one of the better teams on paper that has played in several years. Just to be compared to them right now is a little over the top as far as I am concerned. If everything goes our way -and our guys improve and have the same chemistry without Kemba- can we beat them- sure- we could beat anyone- but out of the gate UNC is going to be tough.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
The only edge UNC has on us is Barnes and McAdoo. The biggest gap is at the two, where overrated strick would get schooled badly. I dunno bout you guys but I'll take AD over Zelller anytime, 'savvy.

Reaction Score
It is an interesting matchup.

What separates UConn and UNC, however, is grit. That team is Downy tissue-paper soft and Uconns core is battle-tested and proven. Once that game gets into the grinder, Uconn pulls away.

Here is a matchup breakdown

PG - Napier Vs Marshall -- size vs speed. steady vs swagger. To me this is a toss-up skill-wise(I am a fan of Marshalls game, personally), but experience edge and savvy goes to Napier. Slight Edge UCONN

SG - Lamb Vs Strickland -- Strickland, to my eye, has underachieved in his time with the 'Heels. Lamb has 2-3 inches in height on him and will be the premier scorer in college basketball this year. Big Edge to UCONN

SF- 'Scoe Vs Barnes -- I think that 'Scoe matches up very, very well with Harrison Barnes athletically, and knows his role on the team. Still, Barnes has a tremendous amount of skill and Savvy. As their go-to player, Big Edge to UNC.

PF - Oriahki Vs Henson -- Another interesting matchup of dissimilar players. Henson is a beanpole who uses his length to make plays. Oriakhi is a monster. I see this matchup really being a struggle for Henson, as Oriahki is more athletic, stronger, and never gives an inch. Henson is an OK player, but this is a terrible matchup for him. Edge to Uconn

C - Drummond Vs Zeller -- First of all, no one knows how Drummond will perform this year, so this is a complete projection. Zeller is a good little player, but in my viewings, has really struggled without a clear size/strength advantage. This is a case of that. However, I'll be conservative, with the expectation that I will be wrong. Edge: Slight UNC

Total: Uconn has an Edge in 3 of the 5 individual matchups, at PG, SG, and PF. i think we are a more athletic overall, and have much better ability to switch our game up from a run and gun situation to a slog and grind situation.

Thoughts?

I'm going to go ahead and give us the coaching advantage.

Reaction Score
No one is mentioning our biggest advantage in a matchup - JC!!!!!! He would find a way to win this one!

Reaction Score
Funny how many Mcdonalds All Americans they have at UNC. Roy sure can recruit but coaching is a different story. How can you not have an edge with all those top 10 recruits. Id go to battle with our group anytime!

Reaction Score
No one is mentioning our biggest advantage in a matchup - JC!!!!!! He would find a way to win this one!
I don't particularly care for Calhoun personally. When it is all said and done though there is no better coach in America to orchestrate a convincing and powerful 1 game strategy. My money would be on UConn/Calhoun if this match up comes to fruition. I do think Roy is a very good coach though. I do not envision UConn vs. NCAR in the final however.

Reaction Score
barnes is awesome and i dont know what his % is but hes not a good shooter. check out the kentucky elite 8 game. i saw a couple games earlier in the season and he wasnt hitting from the outside at all. i think a unc/uconn matchup comes down to one thing. pg play. who wins that matchup wins the game. if bazz is hitting shots and getting the ball where it needs to be and marshall struggles or gets into foul trouble its game over and it might not be close. he is the heart and soul of that team. if bazz doesnt take care of the ball or has to sit with foul trouble it opens marshall to do what he wants on offense and getting into a game in the 80`s with unc is a bad idea.

Reaction Score
Barnes struggled with his shot early in the year but he turned it around. Dont think you can say Hes not a good shooter.

caw

Reaction Score
Not a ton of insight in the "article" but not unfair or overly biased. Going into this season I don't think there is a clear-cut favorite. Just so much talent on the top 4-5 teams with UNC having the best argument to start the season up top due to them returning the most and relying on freshmen the least.

Zeller and Henson may have serious issues defending Andre and Alex due to the size of UConn's frontline. I also think having 3-4 players that could defend the three position could help a ton.

Reaction Score
The UConn whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Reaction Score
All that matters really is that Andre ON zeller...

Imagine some college scrub against an NBA superstar. That's what you get when Andre plays against Zeller. I don't care how "great" Zeller is. Andre is one of the best players of the generation and I will detest this until hes gone and this will be a fact. Andre is Amare Stoudamire x3 and Zeller is just another white 4x college player...not even a comparison...uconn wins...nuff said.

Reaction Score
UNC-UConn would be a damn good title game. And Zeller will probably be a NBA rotation guy, certainly not a college scrub.

Reaction Score
On paper I think UNC is the more talented. HOWEVER, Uconn has proven that the best talent " individually " does not always win. Harrison Barnes can create with the ball and is a beast, although he lacks consistency in his shot making. I love Bazz, but I do give Marshall a slight edge at this point, but as the season goes on and we see how bazz handles the whole show that may change.AO and AD will out perform Z and H. McAdoo is a goodie, but we are deeper. Uconn can play lockdown defense and we have the the most important ingredient JC. For all the talent that UNC gets, Roy finds away to not win the big ones consistently.
Lamb is just more consistent than strickland. Uconn by 10

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
All that matters really is that Andre darnS ON zeller...

Imagine some college scrub against an NBA superstar. That's what you get when Andre plays against Zeller. I don't care how "great" Zeller is. Andre is one of the best players of the generation and I will detest this until hes gone and this will be a fact. Andre is Amare Stoudamire x3 and Zeller is just another white 4x college player...not even a comparison...uconn wins...nuff said.

Dude I love your enthusiasm but you need to calm your hard-on a little bit. He's never played a college game and he's Amare x3?

Reaction Score
Mostly good points by everyone. Over person said Barnes can create for himself and I don't think this is true at all. He was a million times better when he had a real pg setting him up and really struggled making things happen himself w Drew there. Also, saying Zeller is a college scrub is flat out stupid. I think Unc had more talent but Ireally like how Uconn matches up. Shabazz would give KM fits and that's who makes them run, their best player would match up against our best defender in Smith and our inside players have so much more muscle down low.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
UNC will clearly be a strong team next year, but it certainly seems like a lot of the positive predictions for them are based upon two factors...the historical reputation of the UNC program and the reputation of Harrison Barnes. UNC has had a very storied program but that has little to do with how dominant their team will be in 2011-12. Harrison Barnes was rated as the #1 player out of high school and they colors a lot of how he is viewed now. He is a very solid player and I must admit that I have only seen his NCAA tournament games against Marquette and Kentucky. However, although he does have the ideal dimensions for a 3, he is not any more than above average athletically, only has an average handle and scored most of his points on open jumpers. Many talking heads are projecting him as a top 3 pick, but I just don't see it. He absolutely lacks the athleticism and handle of players like Kobe Bryant or LeBron James and has nowhere near the defensive ability of Roscoe Smith. UNC as a team had a strong finish to their season, but they got hammered by Duke in the ACC final and were dominated by more than what the final score showed against Kentucky in the final 8. They have good talent and exceptional overall height on paper, on one hand a good passing point guard who also is not a break-you-down off the dribble type and never showed great synergy as a team. I think they will be in the running for a similar finish to this year but I don't seem them as a dominant number one type team

Reaction Score
I'd give Marshall a slight edge over Shabazz at this point only because he ran the team last year and it will basically be the same team...SN will have a big adjustment wo Kemba...

I agree with the rest...the key could be the benches...

I like our defense and match ups...but this is a pick em game...if they play 10 times, 5 each imo...

I think what separates the two teams is the head coaching. Roy has won two national championships in his career and IMO, he had had a clear talent advantage both times. With Kentucky and UConn matching that talent this season it isn't going to be a cakewalk like it was for ole Roy in 09 when he beat Villanova and MSU in the final four, two teams that have put a grand total of one (bench) player in the NBA since. The mental and physical toughness of UNC still hasn't been tested. Last season they had a tendency to take games off, sleep walk through games, etc. I remember one game Roy was so mad he put all of the walk-ons in. You'd never see that happen with this UConn team.

Reaction Score
UNC should be much better this year ten last year-why- for the same reasons we should be better this year. They had three first round draft picks that stayed in school and are very deep if those players improve like we hope ours have improved they will be the best team in the country on paper. Uk, OSU or any number of 5-6 teams could beat them on any given day- but if they are not a lock for the FF this year no one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom