UConn @ UMass Minutemen (Saturday 11/25/23 @Noon @McGuirk Alumni Stadium, Amherst MA) Game on ESPN+ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn @ UMass Minutemen (Saturday 11/25/23 @Noon @McGuirk Alumni Stadium, Amherst MA) Game on ESPN+

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is a bigger game than a lot of people realize. 3-9 and 2-10 is the difference between atrocious and just bad, and we need to get a winning streak going against UMass and deny them a 4th win.

Reaction Score
I would encourage everyone to watch Mora's presser today completely because I am sure there will be some press on this and it will mostly be negative/alarmist. I think its a mixed bag. To his credit, Mora seems genuinely passionate about winning here and cares deeply about the future of the program. However he also makes NIL money the main focus of everything, and it's an easy way to justify what has been a lackluster performance this season by players and coaches. He states that we need at least $1.5 million NIL each year to compete as a high level G5. Realistically we have no way of judging the merits of this claim because NIL values are not publicly disclosed so, while I presume he is getting his figures from somewhere, we don't know if they are legit. He also seems unhappy that our future schedules have more Power 5 opponents than other G5 schedules, and our fans shouldn't complain about losing to Power 5 schools unless somebody finds a way to bring more $$ into the program to buy players. The reality is that there are other G5 schools that can and do compete with power 5 schools and somehow find a way with G5 resources. But ultimately it's just another excuse and really out of touch with the reality, which is that few fans this season were complaining about losses to NC State, Duke and Tennessee. However when you get your doors blown off by GA State that's another matter.

Reaction Score
Spend the time…

Another interesting press conference where gives us an idea of the level of nil money needed and an apparent goal of being one of the top G 5 football programs!

Reaction Score
There you go. We need $1.5m per year to be around the other G5s and right now we’re ’not Close’.

And ‘if we’re not stepping up we have no right to bitch when they lose’.

Reaction Score
Coaches nowadays are fundraisers and deal with the NIL. Yes, the AD participates heavily in that, but getting money for that from boosters, schmoozing them, and directing the money for that is a major part of the job. That is just part of how recruiting is now. He does not get paid nearly $2 million dollars a year to draw up plays, which one could argue are not that great this year anyway. Criticize Deion for his coaching, but the only reason he may stand a chance at succeeding ever, is because he is raising money for NIL. If the coach does not concentrate on how to get the kids more money, then they are done in this game.

Mora specifically said he was not hired to fundraise and he knows nothing about fundraising. Starting to think the modern day job of a college coach may have passed this guy by.

Reaction Score
There should be a "U Game" trophy for this series. Like it or not we're rivals....in football... and, honestly, it makes sense right now....

Reaction Score
Coaches nowadays are fundraisers and deal with the NIL. Yes, the AD participates heavily in that, but getting money for that from boosters, schmoozing them, and directing the money for that is a major part of the job. That is just part of how recruiting is now. He does not get paid nearly $2 million dollars a year to draw up plays, which one could argue are not that great this year anyway. Criticize Deion for his coaching, but the only reason he may stand a chance at succeeding ever, is because he is raising money for NIL. If the coach does not concentrate on how to get the kids more money, then they are done in this game.

Mora specifically said he was not hired to fundraise and he knows nothing about fundraising. Starting to think the modern day job of a college coach may have passed this guy by.
Well in that way then it passed everybody by. I get the feeling the bigger schools that things take care of themselves and there's all kinds of people who proactively give the old ball coach what they can. Yes the smarter ones are putting in the calls. But let's face it. It is only the last couple of years where nil organizing has become a real thing.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he is looking for mercenaries. The asking for more money support is what coaches do. Hope he gets it but am feeling skeptical.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I have been pondering this especially given the rapidly evolving landscape of CFB- even in the short interval since HCJM accepted the position the amount of change has been staggering- maybe JM needs a DC and an NILC...

Reaction Score
He states that we need at least $1.5 million NIL each year to compete as a high level G5. Realistically we have no way of judging the merits of this claim because NIL values are not publicly disclosed so, while I presume he is getting his figures from somewhere, we don't know if they are legit.
Two or three months ago, I did an analysis of how much NIL money UConn needs to be competitive given our schedule and believe it or not, I came up with ~$1.5 million. There is information out there about how much players are getting in NIL so I was able to piece it together. I will try to find my analysis.

Reaction Score
Think it comes down to this. There’s a bunch of us who’ve thrown a bunch of $$ in the last ten years only to be repaid with horrible results.

Rather than targeting $1.5m per annum, time for AD Dave from Auburn to target 10x that. Mora may not be a fundraiser but he plays well in front of those who can fund this. Get him some at bats

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dude is being paid nearly $2 million dollars to win, by the taxpayers of the state, including me. If he wants more money for the players, maybe he should give some of that to them and recruit, like its his job to do so. The coaching this year has been horrible and that is on him. It definitely was not worth the $1.8 million we paid him and the nearly 500k we paid Charlton. Maybe he should give the paycheck to the players that may make him look good, instead of bitching about money, of which he gets a larger amount than the coaches who beat us and do far more with less.

Reaction Score
Dude is being paid nearly $2 million dollars to win, by the taxpayers of the state, including me. If he wants more money for the players, maybe he should give some of that to them and recruit, like its his job to do so. The coaching this year has been horrible and that is on him. It definitely was not worth the $1.8 million we paid him and the nearly 500k we paid Charlton. Maybe he should give the paycheck to the players that may make him look good, instead of bitching about money, of which he gets a larger amount than the coaches who beat us and do far more with less.
This kind of attitude/point of view is why UConn Football stinks and continues to do so.

Reaction Score
I want him to address the coordinator positions along with NIL. Until we see changes in the staff, NIL will only help so much. Our offense is impotent. Better players will only get us a couple more wins if we keep doing what we’re doing.

UMass may make us look really bad with Brown’s aggressive D. Will that loss be because of NIL?

Reaction Score
Was interesting the Duke HC said all hell is about to break loose with the portal as the regular season ends. Lesser teams in the top 3 conferences are going to wind up losing players to the top 12 teams in FBS. This will permanently create an underclass in FBS as who can you count on year to year? The Holy Cross coach is supposedly in the running for Syracuse job and had 4 players including his QB Sluka hit the portal already as they are not in the FCS playoffs. Can't believe Sluka still has a year left. NIL has totally changed things in the last 2 years and everyone has to adjust.

Reaction Score
Thank you Medic for the article on Pryce Yates. Great to see he has optimism about next season and the up and coming players on the D line.

Reaction Score
How about writing your representatives and having them take away ESPN tax breaks and give that money to UConn football!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom