UConn @ UMass Lowell (4/20/16 @ 1900hrs) | The Boneyard

UConn @ UMass Lowell (4/20/16 @ 1900hrs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CghIgKjXIAAxIAl.jpg:small

Jack Riley starting, so it could be another staff game for the pitchers. It would appear that Zapata is currently in the deep freeze.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
CghIgKjXIAAxIAl.jpg:small

Jack Riley starting, so it could be another staff game for the pitchers. It would appear that Zapata is currently in the deep freeze.

Oy vey.

Reaction Score
Oy vey is right...bats better show up in a big way or last weekends sweep will have been nullified with two cover your eyes losses

Reaction Score
So it's Zapata's turn to be in the doghouse?

Don't know if Zapata is hurt, either. Anyway, Zapata has had 5 starts this season, and he really was good only in the game against Yale. He has always struggled with his control in his two seasons with UConn before this one, and has really shown no improvement in that regard. In fact, I think he has regressed this season. Poor pitching performance can earn a player a seat on the bench, and it seems that Zapata has earned that spot on his own. I don't know if I would call that being in the doghouse. Anyway, this season Penders has many young talented pitchers he can give a chance to if someone doesn't pitch well. Riley is getting that chance now.

Reaction Score
Three scoreless innings for Riley so far. He has been in some trouble in each inning, but has managed to get out of the innings unscathed. No score after 3 innings.

Reaction Score
UMass Lowell gets a run off Riley in the 4th. 1-0 with UConn coming to bat.

Reaction Score
Catching major breaks here in the 5th and honestly our fundamentals have been awful. Gnesda was out by 5 feet but the catcher dropped it. Then on the Hill line drive, why was Toppa not on the bag ready to tag up when caught. If that was a good throw he would have been out by a mile. Why is Penders not in his ear telling him to tag up. If it drops in he will score anyway, so not sure where the runner was going. As I said before Penders has no business being the third base coach. Need replacement.

Reaction Score
UConn takes advantage of some shoddy fielding to score 3 runs in the 5th. Meanwhile, Riley gets through the 5th. 3-1 UConn going to the top of the 6th.

Reaction Score
Nice outing by Riley. If anything it is showing we have some good depth.

Reaction Score
Nice outing by Riley. If anything it is showing we have some good depth.

And it is young pitching depth. UConn pitching staff looks to be in very good shape for the next couple of years.

CJ Dandeneau relieves Riley in the 6th.

Reaction Score
Why take out CJ , he just struck out the first 2 batters in the 7th. I know a lefty is coming up but he' s on a roll. Let him try to finish the inning.

Reaction Score
Why take out CJ , he just struck out the first 2 batters in the 7th. I know a lefty is coming up but he' s on a roll. Let him try to finish the inning.

Go ahead - say it... you earned it.

Reaction Score
And sure enough Poulin comes in and gives up two hits and now it is 3-2. Why take CJ out when he is on a roll? Good job Penders.

Reaction Score
Run scores of off Poulin. Devin Over coming in to try get the final out of the inning.

Reaction Score
Penders has the quickest leash I've ever seen. Throw 2 balls in a row and your getting pulled from the game.

Reaction Score
Penders has the quickest leash I've ever seen. Throw 2 balls in a row and your getting pulled from the game.
The issue this time is he pulled a guy who was pitching great. He outsmarted himself. Sometimes you just need to stick with what's working.

Reaction Score
Over gets the strikeout to end the 7th. So together with Dandeneau, three strikeouts for UConn pitching in that inning.

Reaction Score
The issue this time is he pulled a guy who was pitching great. He outsmarted himself. Sometimes you just need to stick with what's working.

I'm not sure Penders would see it that way. I suspect in this case he was looking at player development while he had a two run lead. One thing you see in midweek games in college baseball is that little used pitchers will get looks in game situations to see what they can do. Poulin was highly touted coming out of high school, finally had a good outing yesterday. He did not have a good one today.

UConn gets a run in the top of the 8th. Ruotolo comes in to pitch the bottom of the 8th.

Reaction Score
It's easy to say it's a bad outing when you walk the only batter you face. I know he doesn't want to lose the game but that has to kill the confidence of a young pitcher. Which can hurt progression when they are constantly worried about making a bad pitch.

Reaction Score
It's easy to say it's a bad outing when you walk the only batter you face. I know he doesn't want to lose the game but that has to kill the confidence of a young pitcher. Which can hurt progression when they are constantly worried about making a bad pitch.

It was a bit more than that. The sequence for Poulin's outing was single, wild pitch, then another single with the run scoring. He came in to face the two lefties that were coming up, didn't get them, and came out. Hopefully Poulin will get another chance at some point, but it will probably come in either another midweek game or a weekend blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom