UConn Travel Vent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Travel Vent

Reaction Score
I travel regularly. If I had a business meeting in New Orleans on Sunday and a meeting in Fort Worth on Thursday, no way I'm staying in hotels in Texas Sunday-Wednesday rather than my own bed.
So u have a dinner meeting on Sunday (they aren’t leaving the arena until 7:30/8) and taking a 9pm flight that gets u home at 2am? Then going to the gym for a 2 hour workout on Monday and then work? They aren’t flying out Thur am for a 3:00 game! They are prob leaving wed morning to arrive by 2:00. Thats a lot of wasted time imo.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I know why are we acting like they have to hike through West Virginia to then swim across the Mississippi, until finally backpacking their way across the lower plains in time for Thursday?
it is literally a few hours on a plane... I’m more concerned with playing down to the level of their competition, possibly looking past Tulane who’d be playing them a 3rd time and should have a good game plan, to the rematch grudge match with WSU... why am I nervous already?
but yeah the travel blows but it blows either way so why not come home and relax a bit?
Ron Hunter has a better chance at busting out of his undersized suit than Hurley does at not having his team ready for Round 1.

Reaction Score
I travel regularly. If I had a business meeting in New Orleans on Sunday and a meeting in Fort Worth on Thursday, no way I'm staying in hotels in Texas Sunday-Wednesday rather than my own bed.

Me too. But in this case it's likely that it costs a lot less to fly ~25 people back to CT for 3 nights (which is a < 3 hr flight) than keep them somewhere b/n NOLA and Tulsa (wherever the that is) for 3 nights + meals, practices, tutors, etc. There's also the slight possibility that if they win out they'll have to fly out of Tulsa to some other shithole to play on Tues / Wed.

So yea, they're going home for 2 days.

Reaction Score
So u have a dinner meeting on Sunday (they aren’t leaving the arena until 7:30/8) and taking a 9pm flight that gets u home at 2am? Then going to the gym for a 2 hour workout on Monday and then work? They aren’t flying out Thur am for a 3:00 game! They are prob leaving wed morning to arrive by 2:00. Thats a lot of wasted time imo.

Travel by definition = wasted time.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Ron Hunter has a better chance at busting out of his undersized suit than Hurley does at not having his team ready for Round 1.
My mom who doesn't watch basketball (and picks up on this kinda stuff watching sports) turned to me and said that double breasted suit looks awful on that man.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I also feel like logistically there is much more that goes into this than just flying straight to Texas for four days. Do they have somewhere to practice there?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Are you pushing your body to its physical limits in your meetings? Travel takes a toll on you physically and mentally. To pretend it doesn’t is silly.

pj

Reaction Score
Are you pushing your body to its physical limits in your meetings? Travel takes a toll on you physically and mentally. To pretend it doesn’t is silly.

Travel is tough on athletes, that's why home-away splits are so different.

But traveling New Orleans to Forth Worth is almost as time-consuming as New Orleans-Hartford. So you're really only saving one trip, and you're costing everyone several days at home.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

lol at a business meeting... because that is equivalent to playing sports. Yeah if I had a 1 hour meeting in Fort Worth I’d sleep in my bed but to argue that travel doesn’t take a toll on someone’s body is ridiculous.

First off, all these kids are giants getting cramped in an airline seat sucks. To increase that frequency makes it worse. On top of that they are “students” with classroom responsibilities. There is a reason that the travel is mentioned multiple times as the reason we are leaving the AAC.

But sure please keep telling people that the travel is no big deal because if you had a meeting you’d sleep in your bed.

Reaction Score
The travel is not helpful, obviously, and it‘s yet another reason why it’s good to be almost done with the AAC. At the same time, going home gives them access to their own stuff (practice and training/recovery facilities, film room, etc.) and keeps the game prep the same familiar routine.

Reactions: pj

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
No one is mentioning the fact that we are in the middle of a pandemic and the potential for exposure in airports is through the roof. Just look at the Biogen case in Boston where 13 or so cases came out of one meeting and ultimately traveled to Indiana, Tennessee, Madrid, Germany...

Reaction Score
First of all, one can argue two extra nights in a queen sized hotel bed is better than the comforts of their full sized dormitory bed. Secondly, we have like four road wins over the past two seasons. If i am weighing the pros and cons I feel limiting the unnecessary travel is more of a pro

Reaction Score
I think there is an NCAA rule where if there is class being held the next day, the team must go home for class.
I certainly hope class is not the reason, especially if it’s not an NCAA rule. We’re living in 2020 now, if the school can’t accommodate to online learning, that is ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom