UConn Transfer rate | The Boneyard

UConn Transfer rate

Reaction Score
While having too much spare time on my hand, I was curious about what percentage of UCONN WBB student athletes have transferred during the last decade. I didn't have the type of time to do a comparison with other schools, but I was surprised UCONN's transfer rate was lower than I thought. Soooooo here it goes:

(Incoming) Class of 2009-Kelly Faris (graduated)-0%
Class of 2010-Bria Hartley, Stefanie Dolson, Samari Walker (T), Lauren Engelin (T) and M. Johnson (T)-60% (3 out of 5)
Class of 2011-KML, Kiah Stokes, and B. Banks (T)-33% (1 out of 3)
Class of 2012-Moe Jeff, Stewie, and Morgan Tuck- 0% (IMO a once in a lifetime talented class, TASSK is second)
Class of 2013-Saniya Chong-0%
Class of 2014-Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, Sadie Edwards (T), and Courtney Ekmark (T)-50% (2 out of 4)
Class of 2015-KLS, Precious II, and D. Boykins (T)-33% (1 out of 3)
Class of 2016-Danger, Molly Bent, and K. Irwin-0%
Class of 2017-Megatron, M. Coombs (T), AEH (T), and Lexi Gordon (T)-75% (3 out of 4)
Class of 2018-Squeaks and ONO-0% (really too early to tell, but my gut says both Squeaks and ONO stay and graduate)

Beginning with Kelly Faris in 2009, a total of 29 student-athletes have signed (no walk ons were included for obvious reasons) and 10 have transferred, making the transfer rate 34%. Four classes had no one transfer (although, to be fair, two classes only had one player sign, but a class is a class!), five classes had at least one player transfer, and the freshmen are too early to tell but were counted anyway. However, if we exclude the freshman class, the transfer rate only rises to 37%. I would imagine that this rate is either on par or lower than the top P5 schools, especially the Baylors, SC, MD, and may be even ND. If someone knows or has has time to compile the rates for those other schools, please share, it would be much appreciated. IMO, a rate of having slightly more than 1 out of 3 student-athletes transfer is the cost of doing business and not alarming at all, especially when no student-athlete who transferred during that time became even a third team AA (see my previous post about this).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks for doing that. As was noted in a different thread, not ONE SINGLE player has transferred out and then gone on to have a professional WNBA career. I don't count Delle Donne or Goring since neither made it to the start of classes in September. Yes these kids who left had very nice careers for the most part at their new schools, but none were going to be standouts at UCONN.

My point is that the kids transferring out are NOT the elite players who end up being starters, or even part of UCONN's core group of players. Yes I do believe that if Hunter, Boykin, Edwards, Walker, Johnson and Banks had all stayed, while possibly none would have ever been starters, they certainly could have been solid reserves off the bench. BUT... Most of them probably wanted to be starters averaging 30+ MPG and that wasn't going to happen at UCONN - just too much talent to compete against.

Side note - Hunter and Edwards were more or less dismissed from the team. Not a good match for UCONN or them as young freshmen - they learned a lot from that experience and by all accounts were/are solid for their new teams.

Reaction Score
Side note - Hunter and Edwards were more or less dismissed from the team. Not a good match for UCONN or them as young freshmen - they learned a lot from that experience and by all accounts were/are solid for their new teams.
I prefer just that they left the team and leave it at that .... We have no indication that either were dismissed (not fair to either player or the coaches to suggest otherwise). They both were on the roster until the end of the semester. I believe AEH and Sadie both chose to leave. One or more of Sadie's teammates said they don't know why she decided to leave but it was clear to all from early on she was not happy in Storrs. I can guess that both had trouble adjusting to UConn's practice demands). I suppose AEH tried to push the envelope a little I think GA indicated in January it was a decision she had to make. (I know that someone taped a private conversation of Geno and someone at a party and that was discussed ad infinitam so let's not rehash that please)

Note use of words like suppose; everything is conjecture.

Reaction Score
While having too much spare time on my hand, I was curious about what percentage of UCONN WBB student athletes have transferred during the last decade. I didn't have the type of time to do a comparison with other schools, but I was surprised UCONN's transfer rate was lower than I thought. Soooooo here it goes:

Class of 2010-Bria Hartley, Stefanie Dolson, Samari Walker (T), Lauren Engelin (T) and M. Johnson (T)-60% (3 out of 5)
Class of 2012-Moe Jeff, Stewie, and Morgan Tuck- 0% (IMO a once in a lifetime talented class, TASSK is second)
Class of 2014-Gabby Williams, Kia Nurse, Sadie Edwards (T), and Courtney Ekmark (T)-50% (2 out of 4)
Class of 2017-Megatron, M. Coombs (T), AEH (T), and Lexi Gordon (T)-75% (3 out of 4)
Class of 2018-Squeaks and ONO-0% (really too early to tell, but my gut says both Squeaks and ONO stay and graduate)

Beginning with Kelly Faris in 2009, a total of 29 student-athletes have signed (no walk ons were included for obvious reasons) and 10 have transferred, making the transfer rate 34%. Four classes had no one transfer (although, to be fair, two classes only had one player sign, but a class is a class!), five classes had at least one player transfer, and the freshmen are too early to tell but were counted anyway. However, if we exclude the freshman class, the transfer rate only rises to 37%. I would imagine that this rate is either on par or lower than the top P5 schools, especially the Baylors, SC, MD, and may be even ND. If someone knows or has has time to compile the rates for those other schools, please share, it would be much appreciated. IMO, a rate of having slightly more than 1 out of 3 student-athletes transfer is the cost of doing business and not alarming at all, especially when no student-athlete who transferred during that time became even a third team AA (see my previous post about this).
While other schools may have more or less transfers ---I don't really care. Thanks for this analysis. The Coombs class or really the Megan class had 2 unfortunate transfers and one that transfered then transferred again, nuf sed.

Reaction Score
I prefer just that they left the team and leave it at that .... We have no indication that either were dismissed (not fair to either player or the coaches to suggest otherwise). They both were on the roster until the end of the semester. I believe AEH and Sadie both chose to leave. One or more of Sadie's teammates said they don't know why she decided to leave but it was clear to all from early on she was not happy in Storrs. I can guess that both had trouble adjusting to UConn's practice demands). I suppose AEH tried to push the envelope a little I think GA indicated in January it was a decision she had to make. (I know that someone taped a private conversation of Geno and someone at a party and that was discussed ad infinitam so let's not rehash that please)

Note use of words like suppose; everything is conjecture.
You just did.

Reaction Score
Hate to bring it up again, but I felt very attacked on here once when I said a player from another school was not a team player, and was even blocked by a few here, so I agree with CajunHusky, and saying players were dismissed from the team makes it sound like they were bad kids.

Reaction Score
If I don't count the 2018 class Maryland is at 40%. this decade (10 out of 25). It drops to 36% with the 2018 class. The 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 classes really hurt. That was a whopping 53%. But if you deduct the four players who were graduate transfers then it drops to 24%. (only 6 non graduate transfers out of 25 this decade not counting the 2018 class). This is not as bad as I thought. The period between 2013 and 2016 drops to 27% .

Reaction Score
I think young ladies have to do better research when choosing schools and have some honesty to their own evaluation to what they want their four years to look like. There are so many of these young ladies transferring that could have been in programs that are in true need of there skill sets. Can't go for the name but more for the fit. Players should also take in account that Coaches aren't being as liberal as they once were with playing time so what is your commitment in getting those earned minutes.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I was prepared to roll my eyes hard on this just being another whiny post about transfers. Thanks for providing some really good statistics to add to the conversation.

Reaction Score

Your analysis is proof Geno should stay with recruiting classes of 1 or 2 only. Chances of those classes transferring out are slim. It gets dicey for Geno when he brings in more than 2. :D

Reaction Score
Your analysis is proof Geno should stay with recruiting classes of 1 or 2 only. Chances of those classes transferring out are slim. It gets dicey for Geno when he brings in more than 2. :D

I would agree. Classes of 4 or more have 8 of 13 (62%) transferring.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Thanks for doing that. As was noted in a different thread, not ONE SINGLE player has transferred out and then gone on to have a professional WNBA career.
I do recall Azura Stevens having transferred directly to the WNBA. :):rolleyes:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

I did an analysis of Notre Dame for the same time span and and the Irish have a far lower transfer rate.

2009: 0 out of 2 (Diggins, K Turner)
2010: 0 out of 3 (McBride, Braker, Achonwa)
2011: 0 out of 3 (Cable, Holloway, Wright)
2012: 0 out of 3 (Loyd, Mabrey, Huffman)
2013: 1 out of 4 (Reimer, Allen, Nelson, Thompson, but Reimer was technically a grad transfer)
2014: 0 out of 3 (B Turner, Westbeld, Johnson)
2015: 1 out of 3 (Ogunbowale, Patberg, Mabrey)
2016: 1 out of 2 (Boley, Young)
2017: 1 out of 2 (Vaughn, Patterson, but she hasn’t signed with a new team yet so may return)
2018: 0 out of 4 (Gilbert, Nixon, Cosgrove, Prohaska)

Total: 4 out of 29 (14%) counting the freshman class
Or 4 out of 25 (16%) without counting the freshman class

Reaction Score
I did an analysis of Notre Dame for the same time span and and the Irish have a far lower transfer rate.

2009: 0 out of 2 (Diggins, K Turner)
2010: 0 out of 3 (McBride, Braker, Achonwa)
2011: 0 out of 3 (Cable, Holloway, Wright)
2012: 0 out of 3 (Loyd, Mabrey, Huffman)
2013: 1 out of 4 (Reimer, Allen, Nelson, Thompson, but Reimer was technically a grad transfer)
2014: 0 out of 3 (B Turner, Westbeld, Johnson)
2015: 1 out of 3 (Ogunbowale, Patberg, Mabrey)
2016: 1 out of 2 (Boley, Young)
2017: 1 out of 2 (Vaughn, Patterson, but she hasn’t signed with a new team yet so may return)
2018: 0 out of 4 (Gilbert, Nixon, Cosgrove, Prohaska)

Total: 4 out of 29 (14%) counting the freshman class
Or 4 out of 25 (16%) without counting the freshman class
Way better than Maryland. I'm curious about Stanford. I bet they have a great rate on lack of transfers.

Reaction Score
For Baylor it’s:
2009- 0 of 5 (Griner, Washington, Madden, Hayden,Chandler)
2010- 0 of 2 (Sims and Robertson)
2011- 0 of 1 (agbuke)
2012- 0 of 4 (Prince, Johnson, Higgins, and Fuqua)
2013- 3 of 5 (Davis, Cave, Wright, Small, Hayden)
2014- 1 of 3 (Wallace, Cohen, and Buckner) although Buckner never played a game for us.
2015- 2 of 5 (Brown, mompremier, Schepenski, Dry, Gulley) Dry and gulley both left the team after their sophomore year but still graduated from Baylor
2016- 1 of 3 (Cox, Landrum, and Chou)
2017- 1 of 4 (Richards, ursin, Oliver, and Morris)
2018- 0 of 5 (Smith, Egbo, DeCosta, Bickle, Scott-Grayson)
So overall it is 8 out of 32 for 25 percent!

Reaction Score
So the bottom line is that in this decade, UConn's transfer rate has been relatively high. 10 against 4 for ND, and 8 for Baylor. And UConn's transfer rate is higher this decade than the previous two decades.

I'm still concerned....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is somewhat of trend within UCONN, ND, and Baylor transfers. In many of the cases there was a player at the same position recruited in the same class.
UCONN Class of 2014-Kia Nurse, Sadie Edwards, and Courtney Ekmark were all guards.
UCONN Class of 2017-Megatron & Lexi Gordon were both wings and M. Coombs & AEH were both guards.
ND 2015: Ogunbowale, Patberg, & Mabrey were all guards
Baylor 2015- Brown, & Mompremier were both post.
Baylor 2016- Landrum, and Chou were both guards.
There are many more example but my takeaway is not the size of the class but you shouldn't duplicate position.

Reaction Score
For Baylor it’s:
2009- 0 of 5 (Griner, Washington, Madden, Hayden,Chandler)
2010- 0 of 2 (Sims and Robertson)
2011- 0 of 1 (agbuke)
2012- 0 of 4 (Prince, Johnson, Higgins, and Fuqua)
2013- 3 of 5 (Davis, Cave, Wright, Small, Hayden)
2014- 1 of 3 (Wallace, Cohen, and Buckner) although Buckner never played a game for us.
2015- 2 of 5 (Brown, mompremier, Schepenski, Dry, Gulley) Dry and gulley both left the team after their sophomore year but still graduated from Baylor
2016- 1 of 3 (Cox, Landrum, and Chou)
2017- 1 of 4 (Richards, ursin, Oliver, and Morris)
2018- 0 of 5 (Smith, Egbo, DeCosta, Bickle, Scott-Grayson)
So overall it is 8 out of 32 for 25 percent!
I miscounted so it’s 8 of 37 for 22 percent

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So the bottom line is that in this decade, UConn's transfer rate has been relatively high. 10 against 4 for ND, and 8 for Baylor. And UConn's transfer rate is higher this decade than the previous two decades.
I'm still concerned....
The concern is not justified because the sheer numbers do not tell the story as the impact of the transfers must be considered. For the most part the UCONN transfers have been at the bottom of the UCONN rotation and some not even in the rotation at all. If one were to quantify impact as players that could be a starter on a top 10-15 program then: While UCONN has lost 1 such player (AEH maybe?) ND has lost 4 such players
(Reimer, Patberg, Boley & Patterson?) Baylor has lost (Wright, Chou, Morris, and Mompremier)
Maryland has lost (Natasha Cloud, Lexie Brown, Kiara Leslie, Kiah Gillespie, and Destiny Slocum)
Not all transfers are created equal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The concern is not justified because the sheer numbers do not tell the story as the impact of the transfers must be considered. For the most part the UCONN transfers have been at the bottom of the UCONN rotation and some not even in the rotation at all. If one were to quantify impact as players that could be a starter on a top 10-15 program then: While UCONN has lost 1 such player (AEH maybe?) ND has lost 4 such players
(Reimer, Patberg, Boley & Patterson?) Baylor has lost (Wright, Chou, Morris, and Mompremier)
Maryland has lost (Natasha Cloud, Lexi Brown, Kiah Gillespie and Destiny Slocum)
Not all transfers are created equal.

5 of UConn transfers were freshmen who left after their 1st semester. Why isn't Natalie Butler included in the transfer list? She transfer to UConn and ending up transferring again for her 5th year.

Reaction Score
My opinion is that having players transfer out shouldn't be seen as such of a failing, but more of the pursuit of a mutually agreed upon path for a better experience. I think a lot of posters seem to think that it is obvious where a player is going to fall on the depth chart before they join a team, but I don't think that's easy to know at all. Courtney Ekmark was getting all the press for that incoming recruiting class - should Kia and Sadie have concluded that they would fall lower on the depth chart and chosen other schools? I think all of those players Kia, Gabby, Sadie and Courtney believed in themselves that they'd be the ones to rise up and be starters. And of course they should back themselves, if you don't try, how will you know?

Part of it is that coaches are realizing that their best chance to win is to only play their best 5 players. The best 5 should be well conditioned enough to play the entire game. That means that the players rated 6-8 on the depth chart might not even be much worse than the player at 5, but from 5 to 6 on the depth chart sees a big drop off in playing time: from 40 mins/game to 0! Therefore, I could see that Geno might say to player like Ekmark, you're great, but I don't think you'll crack the starting 5 here, you only get to play college ball once, I don't want to take that chance away from you. The players give it 2 years because they believe in themselves and want to take a shot, but UCONN starters are probably the 1% - so you fall in the 1.1%, you can still achieve success on your terms at a P5 school.

With all these transfers, I see two parties doing what is best for them. It's not clear these players leave on bad terms, and I prefer to think that they don't. There was incomplete information on how things would pan out initially, now we have a better idea, make a new decision.

I think the coaches are indirectly driving this transfer shift as a consequence of the 'play only your best 5' strategy (which in my opinion IS the winning strategy).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom