UConn transfer Espinoza-Hunter waits patiently for chance with MSU | The Boneyard

UConn transfer Espinoza-Hunter waits patiently for chance with MSU

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UConn transfer Espinoza-Hunter waits patiently for chance with MSU

"I love to shoot," Espinoza-Hunter said last month. "It is something I take pride in."

"But Espinoza-Hunter knows offense is only part of the equation for those who play for coach Vic Schaefer. The Bulldogs have earned a reputation for playing stifling defense, which hasn't always been Espinoza-Hunter's calling card. Don't worry, though, because she said she is prepared to meet the standards set by Schaefer, whose nickname is the "Secretary of Defense."

"You can't play under coach Schaefer without having the defensive dimension as a part of your game," Espinoza-Hunter said. "I am going to work at it."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Andi chose Mississippi State because she would get a second trip to Italy. ;)

I guess the NCAA lets her play in Italy, but I believe she has to sit out NCAA games until at least the end of the fall semester.

Reaction Score
Guessing this will not be a popular thread.

this is another one of those UConn mysteries.................I have no bad feelings towards AEH because I have no idea why she was booted off of the team.................best of luck to her against every team she plays other then the Huskies.........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Andi chose Mississippi State because she would get a second trip to Italy. ;)

I guess the NCAA lets her play in Italy, but I believe she has to sit out NCAA games until at least the end of the fall semester.
I could be wrong, but I believe AEH will sit out the full year as she did not enroll at MSU until the fall semester of this year (summer school classes don't count). That means this is something of a premature thread until the 2019-2020 season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I believe AEH will sit out the full year as she did not enroll at MSU until the fall semester of this year (summer school classes don't count). That means this is something of a premature thread until the 2019-2020 season.
If she waits another year, she can play 3 full seasons, instead of 2.7.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
this is another one of those UConn mysteries.......I have no bad feelings towards AEH because I have no idea why she was booted off of the team.......best of luck to her against every team she plays other then the Huskies....
Andi had problems with academics and other team rules. Geno got frustrated with her after multiple warnings.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
this is another one of those UConn mysteries.......I have no bad feelings towards AEH because I have no idea why she was booted off of the team.......best of luck to her against every team she plays other then the Huskies....
The irksome part is bringing up Schaefer which implies for me an underlying less than flattering comparison to Geno and all things UConn. I expect this is a first salvo with a future of little subliminal digs. I know I am over reacting but that is why they call it "feelings"

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Geno and staff have a long and steady record of recruiting kids who have, in additional to substantial basketball skills, good character. We have no reason to believe that this kid
was an exception. That said, many frosh, not just basketball players, go through a tough
adjustment period, often behaving contrary to their own historical patterns. This might be
such a case.

Things got tense at UConn, and she either chose to leave or got the boot; it doesn't really matter which way she left. Today I have no reason to wish her anything but growth, academic success and a good college basketball career. Should Mississippi State and the Huskies meet, I have no doubts all concerned will have a little extra motivation to perform well.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Andi had problems with academics and other team rules. Geno got frustrated with her after multiple warnings.
That is my recollection as well. In the entire history of UCONN women's basketball I do not recall ever hearing about a player that Geno actually "booted off the team". Such a negative connotation for what has never happened. Unless, of course, the poster was there in the room for the discussions. I don't recall ever reading her scholly was pulled, which is what booting her off the team would entail.

Knowing Geno, Chris Dailey, and how UCONN runs their program it was probably more something like this:

Geno: "You aren't keeping up with your academics and studies, and you continue to not follow team rules. You need to fix this if you want to remain part of UCONN basketball."

Andi: "After careful consideration, I've decided to transfer."

CD: "Ok. We are disappointed in you, but we wish you the best of luck and will help you in any way we can with your transfer."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sometimes Geno lets the Italian out and he overstates a case; however, in this case I think he booted her. 'We'll tell you and tell you and then no more telling because you're gone.' This was a particularly galling episode for me because she had been around the program from the 8th grade on, with every reason to know you don't monkey around at UConn. This has been beaten to death of course; the one thing that really surprised me in this story was how quickly Vic snapped her up.

Reaction Score
Sometimes Geno lets the Italian out and he overstates a case; however, in this case I think he booted her. 'We'll tell you and tell you and then no more telling because you're gone.' This was a particularly galling episode for me because she had been around the program from the 8th grade on, with every reason to know you don't monkey around at UConn. This has been beaten to death of course; the one thing that really surprised me in this story was how quickly Vic snapped her up.

that's the famous quote I remember too................I would call that getting booted out................of course that doesn't mean it wasn't deserved, it's just that the way Geno spoke about it the final move to remove her from the team was his choice not AEH's.............I can't remember any reports about her having academic problems, I assumed it had something to do with her attitude/play with the team.......

Reaction Score
If she waits another year, she can play 3 full seasons, instead of 2.7.

Not waiting is not an option. Unless she gets a waiver, she is not eligible until Fall 19.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
if I remember correctly it was her decision but I could be wrong

Seems that way:

"It's been hard, she hasn't been healthy with wrist and Achilles issues," Auriemma said. "And the other problem is the academic issues we are trying to work through. It's like she hasn't been there. It's been a struggle, it really has. It's been a struggle for her, not so much for us, but a huge struggle for her."

UConn Freshman De'Janae Boykin Transferring; Hadn't Played Because Of Injury

Reaction Score
Seems that way:

"It's been hard, she hasn't been healthy with wrist and Achilles issues," Auriemma said. "And the other problem is the academic issues we are trying to work through. It's like she hasn't been there. It's been a struggle, it really has. It's been a struggle for her, not so much for us, but a huge struggle for her."

UConn Freshman De'Janae Boykin Transferring; Hadn't Played Because Of Injury

that's what I thought............am I right that she's transferred once or twice more over her career?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom