UConn, top 30 team next year. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn, top 30 team next year.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I’m going to go with Cole, Gaffney, Bouk, Springs, Whaley starting. Jackson, Carlton, Adams, Polley off the bench. Javonte Brown Ferguson and Akok red shirting. Still feels like this team is missing a guard and maybe a little scoring, toughness.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I love Vital, top 3 favorite Husky of all time. But I’m very confident RJ Cole and an improved Bouknight can offset his production.
Not even close
CV did so many of the intangibles plus will they have the toughness and heart?
Not to reply to your statement but I do not see UConn as a top 25 team next year. The NBE is a tougher basketball league top to bottom vs the AAC and UConn struggled in the AAC. Every NBE team will not want to be the one to lose to the "newcomer". It's like being a returning champion - the target will be on UConn
I also read that Cole is not even an average defensive player - a PG who is an open door is not good anywhere never mind the NBE.

Reaction Score
Not even close
Not to reply to your statement but I do not see UConn as a top 25 team next year. The NBE is a tougher basketball league top to bottom vs the AAC and UConn struggled in the AAC. Every NBE team will not want to be the one to lose to the "newcomer". It's like being a returning champion - the target will be on UConn
I also read that Cole is not even an average defensive player - a PG who is an open door is not good anywhere never mind the NBE.
That’s not what Hurley said about Cole btw.

Reaction Score
Not even close

Cole better be a good defender and Gaffney better improve dramatically or it won't be fun on that side of the court. I mean AG and CV were really solid down that end and many here don't watch that all that much. Despite the turnovers they committed even during the tough phase of the year they were the reason we were all IN the games due to their impact on that end. Adams was good, Gaffney improved a little but still got beat off the dribble by quicker guards fairly easy and I did see improvement in Bouk on that end, like what I hear on Jackson but I wold love to get a guard who can defend a little too. I have no problem with the guards and 3's making up for the Vital rebounding but not sure about the on man of those 2 hoping Cole is better than you're hearing after his year working with these guys.

Reaction Score
I’m going to go with Cole, Gaffney, Bouk, Springs, Whaley starting. Jackson, Carlton, Adams, Polley off the bench. Javonte Brown Ferguson and Akok red shirting. Still feels like this team is missing a guard and maybe a little scoring, toughness.

I can’t see Javonte redshirting, especially with our injury issues and carlton’s fouling issues

Reaction Score
Not even close
I’m telling u. Where gonna miss AGs D more than people realize. Bouk , gaff and cole cud be a revolving door on D. And no way Carlton starts over whalley.

Reaction Score
I’m telling u. Where gonna miss AGs D more than people realize. Bouk , gaff and cole cud be a revolving door on D. And no way Carlton starts over whalley.

We are also going to have 13 scholarship players active next season compared to 10 this season. I am pretty sure that via instruction and dozens of practices, Bouk, Gaffney and Cole will learn how to play D effectively. We will also be much deeper with Cole and Springs eligible, plus we gain back a scholarship we didn't have this season. A transfer big guard and/or big man will further solidify this roster.

No one guy will make up what we lose in Vital. But the roster will be much deeper, and the overall talent level continues to rise.

Reaction Score
Because Kemba was the best player in the country and probably the best college guard of the last decade.

Yeah but look at UConn from the 2010 season. Kemba was on that team, started every game, and Kemba didn't know how to lead yet so the team stunk. The best basketball player of the last decade made the NIT because of lack of leadership. It was not a talent issue.

Losing Vital, even though his skillset is not comparable, will be a much bigger loss than we anticipate UNLESS somebody steps up big time from a leadership perspective.

Reaction Score
We are also going to have 13 scholarship players active next season compared to 10 this season. I am pretty sure that via instruction and dozens of practices, Bouk, Gaffney and Cole will learn how to play D effectively. We will also be much deeper with Cole and Springs eligible, plus we gain back a scholarship we didn't have this season. A transfer big guard and/or big man will further solidify this roster.

No one guy will make up what we lose in Vital. But the roster will be much deeper, and the overall talent level continues to rise.
Yup. I’m cool with that. Just saying. Let’s temper expectations. Pinning a lot on cole. We don’t really have a solid ball handler. And please don’t say Badams or Gaffney right now. Hopefully Gaffney improves

Reaction Score
Yeah but look at UConn from the 2010 season. Kemba was on that team, started every game, and Kemba didn't know how to lead yet so the team stunk. The best basketball player of the last decade made the NIT because of lack of leadership. It was not a talent issue.

Losing Vital, even though his skillset is not comparable, will be a much bigger loss than we anticipate UNLESS somebody steps up big time from a leadership perspective.
Vital struggled for a lot of the season. He became a leader at the end of the season but we lost a bunch of games at the end we should have won because he was taking bad shots and AG was turning it over. This isn't remotely a Kemba leaving for the NBA type of deal. Our season was on the brink and CV stepped his game and leadership up but you're comparing him to a guy who had one of the all-time great seasons anywhere and put a bunch of freshmen on his back all season and carried them to a national title.

Last edited:

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Top 30 this past season if Polley and Akok were healthy. Next season we should be top 30. Health is the key.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I can’t see Javonte redshirting, especially with our injury issues and carlton’s fouling issues
Agreed...why would they redshirt him?

Reaction Score
I think it is very possible that Tyler Polley starts at the 3 or the 4, Dude has started every game since he's been here. Hurley wants to play 4 out and Tyler is a 40% 3 point shooter which opens the floor up. I think Tyler had finally grabbed hold of playing tough and aggressive, grabbing rebounds, playing more physical ball. We have that one game snapshot of him putting it all together and then BAM he was gone, but to repeat, I think he finally put it all together, which he needed to do in order to stay on the floor. If, he comes back the same player I see him starting.

1 RJ Cole
2 Gaffney or Bouknight
3 Bouknight or Jackson or Polley
4 Polley or Whaley
5 Carlton ( need to establish rim protection and scoring inside
and he has the best size and post moves)

Definite starters:

RJ Cole at he 1
Bouknight at the 2 or 3
Polley at the 3 or 4
Carlton at the 5

Gaffney, Jackson, or Whaley may earn a starting position, but I think just one of these players with the four listed above.

This is based on the roster we have today, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Sure do like the prospect of Landers Nolley joining the team.

Boneyard speculation to while away my time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Losing CV will hurt yes, but comparing him to losing Kemba is ridiculous. We weren’t even a sure NIT team until we beat houston.
With hurley being a defensive minded coach I’m sure he would rather take the 3 guys with offensive skills and get them out there and get them scoring, then he can work to improve them as a defensive unit

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You'd have to have a lot of blind faith in Cole or Jackson to believe we're a pre season top 30 team.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think it is very possible that Tyler Polley starts at the 3 or the 4, Dude has started every game since he's been here. Hurley wants to play 4 out and Tyler is a 40% 3 point shooter which opens the floor up. I think Tyler had finally grabbed hold of playing tough and aggressive, grabbing rebounds, playing more physical ball. We have that one game snapshot of him putting it all together and then BAM he was gone, but to repeat, I think he finally put it all together, which he needed to do in order to stay on the floor. If, he comes back the same player I see him starting.

1 RJ Cole
2 Gaffney or Bouknight
3 Bouknight or Jackson or Polley
4 Polley or Whaley
5 Carlton ( need to establish rim protection and scoring inside
and he has the best size and post moves)

Definite starters:

RJ Cole at he 1
Bouknight at the 2 or 3
Polley at the 3 or 4
Carlton at the 5

Gaffney, Jackson, or Whaley may earn a starting position, but I think just one of these players with the four listed above.

This is based on the roster we have today, we'll have to wait and see what happens. Sure do like the prospect of Landers Nolley joining the team.

Boneyard speculation to while away my time.
I like Polley’s size and shooting, especially in transition, but I don’t view him as a shoe in to start. He really struggles rebounding the ball.

Reaction Score
Yup. I’m cool with that. Just saying. Let’s temper expectations. Pinning a lot on cole. We don’t really have a solid ball handler. And please don’t say Badams or Gaffney right now. Hopefully Gaffney improves

Gaffney will be stronger and more confident as a Soph and Cole averaged over 6 assists his first two years in D1. Yes, it was a bad conference, but he had big games against Georgetown and other good teams. Point guard isn't an area of concern, at least for me.

My concerns are at the 4 and 5. Isiah played great down the stretch. Perhaps he can maintain that? I'm not sure anyone knows. Josh just seemed lackluster this season despite similar numbers from the year before. Polley and Akok are question marks in terms of timing and productivity. Springs hasn't played a minute of college ball and Javonte may be a project. I have no idea what's up with Sid.

If a few of the 4s/5s play well it could be a good run, because I think we are loaded at the 1 through 3.

Reaction Score
He became a leader at the end of the season

Thank you for agreeing with me. We didn’t start winning games until this happened. Now I mentioned several seasons where not having a leader led to disappointing seasons. My concern is not having a leader next year.

I appreciate you calling me a drunk and trying to make fun of me for having a legitimate point backed up by recent uconn examples.

Reaction Score
Thank you for agreeing with me. We didn’t start winning games until this happened. Now I mentioned several seasons where not having a leader led to disappointing seasons. My concern is not having a leader next year.

I appreciate you calling me a drunk and trying to make fun of me for having a legitimate point backed up by recent uconn examples.
I called you a drunk and made fun of you?

Reaction Score
You'd have to have a lot of blind faith in Cole or Jackson to believe we're a pre season top 30 team.

RJ Cole is going to blow the doors off what a lot of people are expecting on this board.

I fully expect 16-17 PPG shooting 40% from 3 and 6 APG. Anyone who calls this prediction crazy can feel free to call me out this time next year. This man is the truth.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

They are not close to the same, that is a fact. CV played very well the past three weeks, while Kemba played as good as any player in the nation and was a First Team All American and received votes for player of the year. Kemba averaged 26.7 points per game as a junior and was second to Jimmer in player of the year "He should have won it." He won the Bob Cousy award and the MVP of the NCAA Tournament.
Vital is a First Team All-AAC but no one has him as a All-American or any other awards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom