UConn to unveil ‘meaner’ Husky logo | The Boneyard

UConn to unveil ‘meaner’ Husky logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Apologize if this is a repeat of an earlier posting, but thanks to HuskyNan for sharing the link. I hadn't seen it previously.

For those BYers wondering about getting some 'new and improved' football uniforms (me included) - you just may get your wish.

http://www.dailycampus.com/news/uconn-to-unveil-meaner-husky-logo-1.3008213#.UT8HChysiSo

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2013/1/30/3934066/uconn-football-uniforms-rebrand-logo[/quote]

12 pages worth :)

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/uconn-mascot-change-confirmed.29594/page-12

Reaction Score
They are probably just waiting for the new conference name to add to the jersey, just a guess.

Reaction Score
Get Sanctions over with, get march madness over with, new uniforms, new brand, new conference, flowers blooming...Timing is everything. Around spring game would be perfect for all of this.

Reaction Score
Get Sanctions over with, get march madness over with, new uniforms, new brand, new conference, flowers blooming...Timing is everything. Around spring game would be perfect for all of this.
Very true, I wonder if we will play with the new uniforms in the spring game.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Any truth to the rumor that this is a result of us selling our current mascot to the C7 for $1MM as part of the split? Liquidation sale...everything must go!:p

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Comment on the Courant site from one of our own:

CTMike says:
March 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm
In true Connecticut fashion, old folks already hate the new logo before ever seeing it. Fear change!

My prediction is that this is our new logo font
conn-12-mast-left-uconnclub.png

except that the light grey in the bottem will be nat'l flag blue while the top will remain white, thus being the perfect symbol for our fanbase as some will see the font as half empty while other will see it as half full.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Why worry about the logo?

Based on what I am seeing from our cheerleaders on my TV (yikes!) and from what I am hearing from our pep band (Neck again? Really?) I'd like those 2 issues to be fixed first.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I did a quick search online and found this:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...3/misc_non_event/2012-13_UConn_Logo_Sheet.pdf

Has anyone seen it before?
Interesting take aways:
Note the font on all the names on the right. I think that is where we may be going.
Both red and gray are listed as official accent colors with specific pantone values designated for these colors.
Note the absence of Connecticut as a primary or secondary mark.
Each sport is listed with the same font and UConn.
Note that our "blue" is now navy blue, not national flag blue, I'm not sure if the pantone value listed was changed.
The date of this publication in Nov. 29, 2012.
Note that the "dog head mark" is discontinued as of the end of the year but other marks shown are not.

Reaction Score
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...3/misc_non_event/2012-13_UConn_Logo_Sheet.pdf

Interesting take aways:
Note the font on all the names on the right. I think that is where we may be going.
Both red and gray are listed as official accent colors with specific pantone values designated for these colors.
Note that our "blue" is now navy blue, not national flag blue, I'm not sure if the pantone value listed was changed.
Note that the "dog head mark" is discontinued as of the end of the year but other marks shown are not.

Nice find...

I read here that the change from National Flag Blue was due to the fact that National Flag Blue is too dark for print (coming off as black); "It had been found that using PANTONE© 289 was problematic, particularly in print publications - National Flag Blue is so dark as to be barely indistinguishable from black in some printing. For the new standards, a slightly lighter shade of blue - PANTONE© 281 - was adopted as the new shade of blue in the visual identity program." Pantone 281 is the same shade as Yale Blue (OMG - we're going Ivy ;)).

Reaction Score

Interesting take aways:

Where did you find this?

This is official, it has the license tag that you see on all official purchased merchandise. Looks like this is the "unified branding". Almost exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. Basically took the Men's BBall logo and simplified it, and added the red and gray accents to everything. The gray differentiates us from Arizona or other red-white-blue schools. If this is the actual change, I love it. Can't wait to see the new dog and uniforms.

Reaction Score

Interesting take aways:

Right from the document IN BOLD:

"When using the word UCONN - it is always one word. UConn and UCONN are correct. Never U CONN or Uconn."
"NO USE of "Lady Huskies" allowed."

Love it.

Reaction Score
Nice find...

I read here that the change from National Flag Blue was due to the fact that National Flag Blue is too dark for print (coming off as black); "It had been found that using PANTONE© 289 was problematic, particularly in print publications - National Flag Blue is so dark as to be barely indistinguishable from black in some printing. For the new standards, a slightly lighter shade of blue - PANTONE© 281 - was adopted as the new shade of blue in the visual identity program." Pantone 281 is the same shade as Yale Blue (OMG - we're going Ivy ;)).
Sounds like another good use of money...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Where did you find this?

This is official, it has the license tag that you see on all official purchased merchandise. Looks like this is the "unified branding". Almost exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. Basically took the Men's BBall logo and simplified it, and added the red and gray accents to everything. The gray differentiates us from Arizona or other red-white-blue schools. If this is the actual change, I love it. Can't wait to see the new dog and uniforms.
I don't know if this is subject to change, like the font or the accent.... But, if the PDF is indicative of what they're going to do - like every wordmark should have a red accent, and they're keeping the rounded font from ~2004, I'd be fine with that (or maybe a different font) as long as the look and accents are the same for every sport / team. Seems like that's the case with OSU's redesign (their promo materials showed FB, MBB, WBB, soccer) so I'm cautiously optimistic (HFD would say blue colored glasses... damn right!)

Reaction Score
Im having trouble with the link. Can somebody please post a picture? id really like to see this

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Im having trouble with the link. Can somebody please post a picture? id really like to see this
It's nothing surprisng, other than the consistency of red and grey as secondary colors. Here's the wordmark:

FDopO8V.jpg

The rest of the logos are the traditional university (non-athletics) font, oak leaf seal, and the husky mascot logo that's going to be replaced. (edit - the only thing the document said specifically would be replaced is the mascot logo...)

Reaction Score
Well the uniform makeover may be free but the brand makeover won't be... Lotsa signs and other what-nots around campus to be replaced/re-branded,

Fair enough, the Branding and uniforms were free. All the other stuff is incidental and is not much in the long run if it makes UConn more identifiable as a whole athletic department. UCF just paid some obscene amount for newly designed Nike uniforms bc they are not a Nike school. We get that waived as a Nike apparel partner. Our brand is worth it to them. And IMG. Just not to another conference I guess.

Reaction Score
I've been into sports marketing for years. Computer fonts don't bother me, though. I actually have a degree in MIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom