UConn to Redshirt Key Freshmen, Rely More on Veterans | The Boneyard

UConn to Redshirt Key Freshmen, Rely More on Veterans

Reaction Score
Wish he could redshirt all 25 of them.

I don’t agree with Edsall hating the rule. It benefits Kelly Bryant's if the world? Good for him.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
thanks for this- well deserving of its own thread and discussion forum. I agree with the idea that the more we can redshirt the better. I wish there was a way to RS Travis Jones. Dude is going to be such a beast for us down the line.

Reaction Score
thanks for this- well deserving of its own thread and discussion forum. I agree with the idea that the more we can redshirt the better. I wish there was a way to RS Travis Jones. Dude is going to be such a beast for us down the line.

He might, but what have you seen from him so far that makes you say that?

Reaction Score
Many freshmen who got long looks are now redshirting. I also wish it were more. But is it possible that the staff felt the first four games were unwinnable/unwinnable/winnable even with freshmen/unwinnable, so let’s just throw the freshies into the fire to see who sticks for the remainder of the year? And that turned into five games when Cincy proved to be better than expected? More vets now will get more time and have less mileage on them for the more “winnable” part of the schedule. Was that by grand design?

Last edited:

Tucker

Free Beer!..... Yesterday
Reaction Score
Honestly I think it was. Randy must know he’s safe and is playing for next year.

Reaction Score
The Fuller version: Football: UConn to sit several freshman contributors to save season of eligibility

>>“You’re not building a team, you’re building a program and a program is the big picture,” Edsall said. “The team is from year to year but a program is for eternity and that’s what you are trying to do. That’s what we had before and that’s how we did it and as you look at things, we’re in a good spot when you take a look at the redshirt freshmen and now these freshmen, there are guys in there who are only going to continue to get better. We’ve got some guys in the sophomore group that still need to get a little bit stronger and we have to keep recruiting, we have to find those guys that fit what we’re doing.”<<

>>Edsall said his staff will use next week to hit the road recruiting as they reconnect with the players already committed as well as those on the Huskies’ recruiting radar.<<

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Of course Edsall's job is safe. He does not make this decision without complete buy in from AD Dave. Besides, there is no money to pay another buyout AND new coach.

Reaction Score
Of course Edsall's job is safe. He does not make this decision without complete buy in from AD Dave. Besides, there is no money to pay another buyout AND new coach.
What is this in relation to?

It's not like Edsall is sacrificing wins by redshirting players. It's simply the smart thing to do. Like I said, it's too bad he can't redshirt all 25.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What is this in relation to?

It's not like Edsall is sacrificing wins by redshirting players. It's simply the smart thing to do. Like I said, it's too bad he can't redshirt all 25.
There was a post regarding Edsall's job security. Must have been deleted.

Reaction Score
YIKES....We have veterans available to play? ...Good golly miss molly, sure like to ball.
A couple weeks of reps and some serious game touches we may have a chance of less than a total embarrassment
at the hands of UMASS....
I will be there start to finish regardless, just say'n......

Reaction Score
I really like this move. He can still play some true fresh. - those who have not played in 4 games and those we just frigging need - but looking for every opp to limit their playing time to 4 games and preserve a year is ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do.

Reaction Score
He might, but what have you seen from him so far that makes you say that?
Travis draws a double team almost every play and I've seen him tripled as well. I've watched him walk guys into the backfield. He rarely gets moved at the point of attack.

He needs to pick up the ball carrier a bit sooner. And he does need to get a little stronger. He'll get better and better. I'm not sure we know his ideal playing weight yet. Does he naturally adjust to his size or should he be 340? Watch him.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I like the move and it makes sense for the program. For this season however...

On the one hand, if the True Freshmen are honestly the best at their positions, I want them to play for my own selfish entertainment value. However if the older players have truly turned a corner, it's a win/win.

On the other hand if Edsall was planning this move all along, I would have rather see the true freshmens' games sprinkled throughout the season.

A third possibility is that I'm reading too much into it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom