UCONN TO RECEIVE INVITE TO NEW CONFERENCE | The Boneyard

UCONN TO RECEIVE INVITE TO NEW CONFERENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, the vote was 8-1. All voted in favor except BC.

...Did you believe it? How easy is it to believe it? But, I made it up.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Well, at least we will be in one prestigious conference.

Reaction Score
Yes, the vote was 8-1. All voted in favor except BC.

...Did you believe it? How easy is it to believe it? But, I made it up.
There are 10 members in HE, or 11 if they let ND vote. Maybe the UVM AD was too stoned to get on the conference call.

Reaction Score
Next stop B1G. Didn't we already know this was a done deal? Honest question.

Reaction Score
Next stop B1G. Didn't we already know this was a done deal? Honest question.
Likely, yes, done deal, no. I know there was some concern among a few HE schools whether UConn was serious about upgrading the program to the standards of the conference, especially in light of how neglected the program has been over the last decade. Also, UConn wasn't the only suitable option, RPI was originally rumored as team 12 when ND was added as 11. They have the arena already (though old), have an established program, wouldn't add much travel, and have a proven record of success. Of course, as a brand name, UConn dwarfs RPI and UConn's upside potential is much, much higher. I think UConn needed to lay out a plan to HE showing they were committed to this and were going to invest the necessary resources to make the program competitive in HE. Hopefully, that plan isn't just play every game at XL, add some scholarships, and see what happens. That will lead to failure.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is awesome! Hopefully the stiff folks of Mansfield will allow UConn to build a suitable arena on campus and give them some land if needed. Playing games at the XL center will be a disaster long term. I know it will need to be done at first but I hope there's a new arena in place in 3-4 years. There are plenty of students on campus to fill a small arena and allow others to come on campus for a game. Aren't most hockey games on weekends? That makes it easy for everyone to make the trek up to Storrs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't think the people of mansfield can stop a 6,000 seat rink. The football stadium on campus would be a whole different story.

Reaction Score
Aren't most hockey games on weekends? That makes it easy for everyone to make the trek up to Storrs.
Yes. 95% of college hockey games are Friday and Saturday nights, the other 5% are on Sunday afternoons, only for TV purposes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes. 95% of college hockey games are Friday and Saturday nights, the other 5% are on Sunday afternoons, only for TV purposes.

Did not realize that. It's tough getting to Gampel and XL some weekdays - even though I still manage to do it - but was curious about hockey as getting the ball rolling will take some effort from the fans.

Maybe UConn could schedule a handful of hoop/hockey combo games Saturday in Hartford? I know I would stick around and watch both.

Reaction Score
Did not realize that. It's tough getting to Gampel and XL some weekdays - even though I still manage to do it - but was curious about hockey as getting the ball rolling will take some effort from the fans.

Maybe UConn could schedule a handful of hoop/hockey combo games Saturday in Hartford? I know I would stick around and watch both.
changeover would likely take too long, it'd be at least 3-4 hours if that. hockey requires a full one hour prior to the game after the rink is set up and resurfaced for players to stretch and warm up. the only way to do it would be hockey early and basketball late, and i cant imagine anyone would show up extra early for the hockey if they didn't already want to, so you wouldn't gain extra fans. they should focus on as many friday night home games as they can and scheduling as many saturday night games on non-home basketball game nights, all in storrs. with HE schools being so close, home and homes on the same weekend are standard, so working this out would be very possible.

hockey games on weekend nights followed by going out with friends on/off campus after are among the few top experiences I had in college - having that in hartford would kill that prospect. a great idea would be an afternoon bball game at gampel followed by a night hockey game up the street. they do this at michigan with football on saturdays and it works out splendid.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
hockey games on weekend nights followed by going out with friends on/off campus after are among the few top experiences I had in college - having that in hartford would kill that prospect. a great idea would be an afternoon bball game at gampel followed by a night hockey game up the street. they do this at michigan with football on saturdays and it works out splendid.

That is a great idea and it sounds like what needs to happen to get the ball rolling. Thankfully AD Manuel was a Michigan man so he should be well aware of all of this.

If UConn is playing hockey in the best league (right?) it's something I want to be a part of and I think a lot of other fans would embrace even as we take our bumps early on.

Reaction Score
If UConn is playing hockey in the best league (right?) it's something I want to be a part of and I think a lot of other fans would embrace even as we take our bumps early on.
Yes, post-WCHA split, HE will be the best top to bottom conference in the country. The new WCHA is significantly worse, B1G is too small and one-third of the conference is absolutely terrible, and the NCHC has some strong programs in Denver, North Dakota, but most others are just above average programs that aren't true powerhouses. With ND, 10 of 11 HE teams have made the NCAA tournament since 2007 and all but Northeastern and Merrimack have won at least one game, in addition to four national titles, three of which never actually happened.

Reaction Score
this is terrific news. i think there's a real void for a Connecticut hockey team since the Whalers left. AHL just doesn't cut it and this would be a team that the Bruins and Rangers fans among us could root for.

i think more than that it's important for our athletic program as it's one more thing to set us apart from a school like Rutgers if the B1G decides they want to expand down the road. personally i think it's likely that they'll want to add a team or two in 5-6 years and i'd like it to be us. if our hockey can be competitive by then, along with women's bball, it'll be one more check in our positive column versus a school like Rutgers or Maryland

Reaction Score
You'd be in the minority here. plus, it'd be very, very expensive for students to waste time in Hartford for four hours, and plus, 75% of them are underage and can't drink there. This must be on campus in the long term, or it won't work. There's absolutely no reason it shouldn't.

Reaction Score
this is terrific news. i think there's a real void for a Connecticut hockey team since the Whalers left. AHL just doesn't cut it and this would be a team that the Bruins and Rangers fans among us could root for.

i think more than that it's important for our athletic program as it's one more thing to set us apart from a school like Rutgers if the B1G decides they want to expand down the road. personally i think it's likely that they'll want to add a team or two in 5-6 years and i'd like it to be us. if our hockey can be competitive by then, along with women's bball, it'll be one more check in our positive column versus a school like Rutgers or Maryland
I think people forget that CT is a decent hockey area... I'm sure the national perception is that CTcouldn't hold onto the Whalers so there is little interest for the sport in this state. Obviously untrue...
this also dovetails into the outdoor hockey tournament that started last year at Rentschler. Maybe Baldwin could help fund the Uconn program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The fact that RPI has been passed as a program by the likes of Union and Umass doesn't make them attractive to HE. Their arena is fine, and loud.

Other than the $$$, Uconn shouldn't have a problem building a rink. College rinks are an asset to the town as they are rarely used during the day, so it's a good match for youth/hs programs.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Other than the $$$, Uconn shouldn't have a problem building a rink. College rinks are an asset to the town as they are rarely used during the day, so it's a good match for youth/hs programs.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Great point. I'm sure Freitas fills this to an extent now, but there are youth facilities around the state that are better than Freitas. It also allows for club teams on campus to use it, for intramural sports, and a place for local youth leagues to host tournament championships, and even possibly the state high school championships.

Reaction Score
Great point. I'm sure Freitas fills this to an extent now, but there are youth facilities around the state that are better than Freitas. It also allows for club teams on campus to use it, for intramural sports, and a place for local youth leagues to host tournament championships, and even possibly the state high school championships.

Just for the record, it does. EO Smith's program plays there (well, technically the EO/Tolland/Windham co-op, but they play under the EO Smith name), as do the Northeast Ice Dogs (the local youth program). Between the four teams, Frietas ice time is well covered by the community (which is the reason, I suspect, or at least one of the primary reasons, they've kept hockey around as long as they have without actually giving a wink of attention to it).

State championships are all at Ingalls at current, but I don't see that likely to change even with a UConn upgrade. Various other 'collegiate' rinks (I say because Milford and Northford are amongst those, and those are town rinks first) do get used for quarterfinals and such, and I can see an upgraded Frietas sliding in there for some less annoying geography for northern state teams, but Ingalls basically gets all the major games.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
state ships will never move from yale. its a great college arena(i hope uconn gets something like it) and its in the heart of where ct hs puck matters. prep, wh, hamden. all others are secondary to these schools. its a perfect spot for the sport.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
think i just saw a tweet that we just accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads