UConn to Play Tenn Again in 2020 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn to Play Tenn Again in 2020

Reaction Score
The first time they played 135 media credentials were handed out for the game. UNC and Sylvia said no for the Monday afternoon game because they thought the game wasn't worth it. Sylvia knew UConn would have beaten them in Storrs after barely winning the E8 game in 94. Uconn called Tennessee about playing and Pat said yes! This is when the Huskies weren't relevant yet. This was just another game for Tenn at the time in a different part of the country where they never really played at.

IMO they should have never stopped playing each other. As a former coach and player who is highly competitive thinks it should have been settled on the court instead of them taking their basketballs and staying home! Two great people and Coaches that made a huge mistake. They both should be ashamed of themselves for letting this happen,jmho.

Last edited:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
You are right about UConn and ND but it will never compare to Uconn and Tennessee. It's not even close!
Yes, you are correct. Just stating the obvious. Today's rivalries will not be altered by the return of UConn/UT games.

Don't get me wrong, I have deep respect for PS and the decline of her health and ultimately her passing is very tragic and a great loss to her sport. However, she single handedly ended the great rivalry that anyone who had even a small interest in WCBB, would watch. Please don't remind me that her disease may have begun its nasty work and she was under mental duress. I understand all of that and have much sympathy in regards to that. BUT, her coaching staff, AD, administration and the SEC did not question her allegations prior to sending to NCAA??????????????????? Then, once we AND THEY (afore mentioned entities) realize that perhaps UConn was possibly the recipient of unnecessary and unwarranted allegations??????? No, I do not agree that these games should resume under any circumstance without SOME recognition that Geno and our team were wronged. Go ahead, tell me to get over it and move on. That's not going to happen. I warmly accept apologies and would in this case.

Reaction Score
You are right about UConn and ND but it will never compare to Uconn and Tennessee. It's not even close!
Have to agree with both thoughts. ND and UConn biggest rivalry today, but the Tenn/UConn games were historic. Reminds me of Red Sox/Yanks in terms of passion. That being said, "Tenn/UConn" and "rivalry" are words we should apply past tense to. Would not book Tenn. if I was Geno-nothing to gain and in a sense, gives a bit of legitimacy to the current Tenn. program that hasn't been earned.

Reaction Score
Yes, you are correct. Just stating the obvious. Today's rivalries will not be altered by the return of UConn/UT games.

Don't get me wrong, I have deep respect for PS and the decline of her health and ultimately her passing is very tragic and a great loss to her sport. However, she single handedly ended the great rivalry that anyone who had even a small interest in WCBB, would watch. Please don't remind me that her disease may have begun its nasty work and she was under mental duress. I understand all of that and have much sympathy in regards to that. BUT, her coaching staff, AD, administration and the SEC did not question her allegations prior to sending to NCAA??????????????????? Then, once we AND THEY (afore mentioned entities) realize that perhaps UConn was possibly the recipient of unnecessary and unwarranted allegations??????? No, I do not agree that these games should resume under any circumstance without SOME recognition that Geno and our team were wronged. Go ahead, tell me to get over it and move on. That's not going to happen. I warmly accept apologies and would in this case.
Pats disease had nothing to do with her decision and whoever says so is a fool. IMO, Genos decision to play was about the HOF and he more than likely had a conversation with Maya too. Time for the whining to stop!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pats disease had nothing to do with her decision and whoever says so is a fool. IMO, Genos decision to play was about the HOF and he more than likely had a conversation with Maya too. Time for the whining to stop!
A. It's not whining
B. The time to let this go is when we hear an apology from UTenn. Anything less is to agree to their deceitful version of events.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Meanwhile a sorta objective look at this news out of Knoxville.

Now that they’re playing again, Lady Vols can learn something from UConn

"It's unlikely that either program's status will change between now and the renewal of the series in the 2019-20 season. Nonetheless, Tennessee is the big winner here.

I'm surprised UConn had an interest in reviving a series that Summitt canceled after the 2006-07 season. The Lady Vols need this game more than the Huskies do.

Canceling the UConn series was one of the few mistakes Summitt ever made. She was always conscious of promoting the sport as well as her own program. And no other rivalry did more for the women's game than this one.

With 11 national championships, UConn is now the preeminent program in women's basketball. Tennessee is no longer the top program in the SEC.

Why playing UConn will help Lady Vols
But playing UConn in the regular season will work to Tennessee's advantage. Never mind the likely outcome. UConn will remind the Lady Vols what a championship team looks like. It also will expose whatever flaws UT has."

I like this little bit from early in the article:

"Back then, it would have been Dynasty vs. Dynasty, and Pat vs. Geno. Now, it's just a speed bump for UConn on the way to another Final Four. " :p

Reaction Score
I caught an article on UConn Tenn resumption of series and the take from LV alums.... quoted Cierra Burdick and Abby Conklin....

Did anyone else see this?

Burdick was gracious.... Conklin was not.... she said "I could care less if the LVs ever blessed UConn with the privilege of playing us"....

She added that Auriemma never said one nice word to or about Pat until she was ill......

Conklin could have been more charitable.... and should have kept her mouth shut.

Reaction Score
UT - UCONN is a huge media attraction, although it will be difficult to sell-out the game at Tennessee, which is 22,000 seats. As a UT fan, and someone who has the utmost respect for Pat Summitt, I do not believe UT should have agreed to play UCONN again because it violates Pat's wishes.

The UT athletic's director is Phillip Fulmer who has known Pat since they both arrived at UT. Fulmer was a good friend of Summitt, so it surprised me when he agreed to play the games.

The Lady Vols, and virtually every other sport UT participates in, is in the wilderness right now. Football, track and field, baseball, and Lady Vols basketball are no longer elite. (Men's basketball may be close).

Football has, and will always be, the number one focus of the vast majority of Tennessee fans, administration, and wealthy donors, and continues to have a huge following. Some Lady Vols basketball fans did not want the games rescheduled, but the vast majority of Tennessee fans could care less, because they are football fans first and foremost and could care less about the women's basketball team.

Now, to get everyone mad at me. I do believe that UCONN is an elite basketball program and that Geno is a great coach. But the conference UCONN plays in is extremely weak. If UCONN played in the SEC, and had to play games at Mississippi State, at South Carolina, at A&M, and even at Tennessee every season, I don't believe the Huskies would be undefeated in any season. I believe there are several schools in just about every season that could go undefeated in the American Conference.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
UT - UCONN is a huge media attraction, although it will be difficult to sell-out the game at Tennessee, which is 22,000 seats. As a UT fan, and someone who has the utmost respect for Pat Summitt, I do not believe UT should have agreed to play UCONN again because it violates Pat's wishes.

The UT athletic's director is Phillip Fulmer who has known Pat since they both arrived at UT. Fulmer was a good friend of Summitt, so it surprised me when he agreed to play the games.

The Lady Vols, and virtually every other sport UT participates in, is in the wilderness right now. Football, track and field, baseball, and Lady Vols basketball are no longer elite. (Men's basketball may be close).

Football has, and will always be, the number one focus of the vast majority of Tennessee fans, administration, and wealthy donors, and continues to have a huge following. Some Lady Vols basketball fans did not want the games rescheduled, but the vast majority of Tennessee fans could care less, because they are football fans first and foremost and could care less about the women's basketball team.

Now, to get everyone mad at me. I do believe that UCONN is an elite basketball program and that Geno is a great coach. But the conference UCONN plays in is extremely weak. If UCONN played in the SEC, and had to play games at Mississippi State, at South Carolina, at A&M, and even at Tennessee every season, I don't believe the Huskies would be undefeated in any season. I believe there are several schools in just about every season that could go undefeated in the American Conference.
IMHO The old Big East was stronger than the SEC, for WBB. The UConn women were undefeated more than once, prior to it's demise. I understand that you will give me all sorts of opinion and stats as to why you believe the SEC was superior to the Big East back then. In MY OPINION, you would be wrong.

Reaction Score

The AAC is weak no doubt.... but i do not think that has bearing on any contrast between UConns success and Tenn's struggles..... and in support of UConn.... and anti your argument... before the 2014 entry into AAC, UConn was in better conference and was undefeated..... in history of WCBB....who has been undefeated? Texas in 86 Baylor in 2012... you guys in 98?... and UConn in 95, 02, 09, 10, and couple of other times....

and the SEC is not exactly Murderers Row.... tenn has history.... but they are saddled with Holly... Miss St and S Carolina are very good but that is a very recent thing... and will they stand the test of time... A & M same thing.....

You make me think... how is Ms St going to be without Vivians and McGowan.... USC without Wilson..... it will be different.... we will see

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
in history of WCBB....who has been undefeated? Texas in 86 Baylor in 2012... you guys in 98?... and UConn in 95, 02, 09, 10, and couple of other times....
We have 6 undefeated seasons. The other 300+ Division I teams have 3 combined.

Can N.D. be the 4th? It's a tough task.

Reaction Score
We have 6 undefeated seasons. The other 300+ Division I teams have 3 combined.

Can N.D. be the 4th? It's a tough task.

yes we definitely have put the other programs in our rear view mirror relative to history.... to the point that it will take a long effort to approach what we have accomplished.... that is a credit to our program and the programs that came before, Pat's included.... all part of building the history of the game....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
yes we definitely have put the other programs in our rear view mirror relative to history.... to the point that it will take a long effort to approach what we have accomplished.... that is a credit to our program and the programs that came before, Pat's included.... all part of building the history of the game....
The most likely to go undefeated this year: N.D. The second most likely: UConn. The third most likely: no one.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I do not believe UT should have agreed to play UCONN again because it violates Pat's wishes.

The only way that "wish" would/should ever be respected is if PHS came out and gave a reason for cancelling the series. She never did. Innuendo and deflection aren't valid reasons. Neither is because you hate the other coach.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
This whole thread is based on some entity wanting UConn/UT to play one another. Without restating for the umpteenth time, my respect for PS is unquestioned. I don't believe UT wants this game and neither does Geno (UConn). It's being set up for the good of the sport. That having been said, let's look at why it was terminated in the first place.

Someone took PS's lunch money and it was a program coached by a man. Not only a man, a wise cracking Italian immigrant, who has been eating her lunch for way too long. Sure, UT had won the last 3 games with us. That's the time to "take my ball and go home". Oh yeah, let me see if I can deflect the attention this will bring, away from me and put together some innuendo that will never be explained and give that idiot up north some lost sleep. Nothing but sour grapes.

Sorry, we don't need UT. Did we back in '95? Absolutely. So, UT was approached and very graciously played us. Thank you. This time, they need us. Have they approached? No. Let them wallow in their deceit and "I believe Pat at all cost" attitude. As an elite program, they are passe until they bring in a real coach. Hopefully they keep HW for the rest of my lifetime.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I just sneaked a peak at the VolNation board. Mostly yhey ain"t happy about this over in the hollers,mostly because they anticipate a series of butt-stompins. Residual resentment at Gino seems to be a distant second, and a small minority seem to think it will help UT recruiting (if not coaching).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just sneaked a peak at the VolNation board. Mostly yhey ain"t happy about this over in the hollers,mostly because they anticipate a series of butt-stompins. Residual resentment at Gino seems to be a distant second, and a small minority seem to think it will help UT recruiting (if not coaching).

Its a good thing they didn't leave it up to the fan bases to approve the resumption of this series. It would never have resumed.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I am sure there will be a lot of media. Also a big build up going into that first game.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom