UCONN to new Big East | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UCONN to new Big East

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm just beyond happy to be escaping the nondescript football "conference" called the AAC and getting to where the focus should be. Quality b'ball against quality opponents. Even @vowelguy 's daily shower will not dampen my enthusiasm for this about to be change for the far better. 6-7 years ago UConn should have jettisoned FB and fought like hell to stay in the new league that was the new Big East. I look forward to the day that FB toddles off this mortal coil.

Reaction Score
A grant of rights is a clause that turns over a school's media rights to its conference. Under such a clause the conference would have the rights to broadcast the school's home games for the duration of the contract. These clauses have been used to protect conferences (and broadcast partners) from schools being poached by other (higher paying) conferences. I think the current ACC media deal contains a grant of rights clause.

Correct. The GOR binds a school to that conference, since they can't independently sell their own media rights. The end/renewals dates for the GORs are hotly watched as that's when schools would be able to move around. The ~2023-25 period is expected to be the next round of realignment.

Reaction Score
P5 is short-hand for the strongest, richest conferences.

In the next decade, P5 schools are expected to earn $300-$500 million in revenue _each_. Non-P5 schools will earn <$20 million.

It also has long been speculated that there will be a group of schools that will eventually break away from the NCAA. Though this idea predates the "p5," folks now think that if it does happen it would be the P5 that does so.
The strongest football conferences make the most money because they demand the biggest media and endorsement contracts. Football is the biggest moneymaker (or in UConn's case money loser) in College sports.

But people have been using "P5" to imply that all sports not just football are better in P5 is just wrong.

P5 colleges dominate in football because they have wrested control of all things football away from the NCAA. The chances of a non P5 college winning a football NC is very very slim because if you aren't P5 you don't get invited to the big dance.

But that is not true for all the other sports and that is why a BE college has just as much opportunity to win a NC as any P5.

P5 is an unofficial term that used in conjuntion the major football conferences.

Reaction Score
The strongest football conferences make the most money because they demand the biggest media and endorsement contracts. Football is the biggest moneymaker (or in UConn's case money loser) in College sports.

But people have been using "P5" to imply that all sports not just football are better in P5 is just wrong.

P5 colleges dominate in football because they have wrested control of all things football away from the NCAA. The chances of a non P5 college winning a football NC is very very slim because if you aren't P5 you don't get invited to the big dance.

But that is not true for all the other sports and that is why a BE college has just as much opportunity to win a NC as any P5.

P5 is an unofficial term that used in conjunction the major football conferences.
But without the football money, the non-revenue sports (such as WBB) at non-P5 schools will soon be unable to compete. This is especially true when D1 schools are allowed to pay their athletes annual $5,000 "cost of attendance" stipends, and then later when those stipends increase to where even the non-P5 schools who could afford the $5K can't afford the new, higher amounts.

Reaction Score
But without the football money, the non-revenue sports (such as WBB) at non-P5 schools will soon be unable to compete. This is especially true when D1 schools are allowed to pay their athletes annual $5,000 "cost of attendance" stipends, and then later when those stipends increase to where even the non-P5 schools who could afford the $5K can't afford the new, higher amounts.
Or when the P5, or some subset of it, breaks away from the NCAA entirely and can make up their own rules and pay the best players $50k/year if they want because they will no longer be encumbered by the NCAA. Once this happens, we can have a reset of college sports for the remaining 80% of schools and stop this unsustainable athletic department arms race.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Could we just have maybe a day or two before we do our obligatory hand wringing about the death of amateur athletics on campus? Or take it to a new thread called "We Are Really, Really Doomed?" I think it is really great that the fans in the P5 conferences can get Faced every weekend and pretend to watch semi-pro football, because we are America and about endless choices. Lucky Connecticut fans get to root for professional football teams , wear all the gear, and get just as faced if not more. Most P5 games are stomp contests - like UConn Husky women playing everyone in the AAC.

Why some insist on hitting their face into a brick wall called the P-5 is beyond me and I would suggest you should go get an Alabama jersey and roll with the Tide. Or, better yet, go get a 5 for deal on jerseys and be a guaranteed snackered winner every week end at least 3 times?

Reaction Score

P5 schools dominate every sport. There are exceptions, but they are few.

Field Hockey: 3 of final 4
Mens Soccer: 3 of final 4
Wmns Soccer: 3 of final 4
Wmns Vball: 3 of final 4
Mens Bball: 4 of final 4
Wmns Bball: 3 of final 4
Baseball: 8 of final 8
Softball: 8 of final 8

Reaction Score
Or when the P5, or some subset of it, breaks away from the NCAA entirely and can make up their own rules and pay the best players $50k/year if they want because they will no longer be encumbered by the NCAA. Once this happens, we can have a reset of college sports for the remaining 80% of schools and stop this unsustainable athletic department arms race.
All hell's getting ready to break loose, as the California state senate has passed a bill (31-5 vote) to allow student athletes to make money off the use of their names and likenesses (jersey sales, video games, etc.). Emmert has already notified the 2 CA state assembly committees responsible for the bill that if this happens the NCAA will not allow the schools affected to compete for NCAA championships.

Many sports commentators/analysts feel he's bluffing. Since the bill, if ultimately passed (likely) won't take affect until 2023, it gives other states time to pass their own similar bills. The NCAA will ultimately have to acquiesce on this one, in their never-ending history of retreat when faced with common sense combined with lack of intimidation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So Mr. Old technology gets to link the press conference 4 plus hours later? You bunch would not survive a day in Geno boot camp.

So Val Ackerman (at 17:32) confirms that the 20-game schedule will be for women's basketball as well.

This will mean a reduction of UConn's OOC schedule from 13 or 14 games to only 9 or 10.
It will also mean that the Big East schedule will have to begin before Christmas.

Reaction Score

so? just one moment in time ... we all could pick a moment .... remember when 3 of 4 FF came from the BE?

I mean seriously P5 conferences total 60, 70 schools but the fact is you don' t have to be P5 toget into the final four. But to get in to the FBS bowl playoffs you almost certainly have to be P5

Plebe

Reaction Score

When was the last time a WBB team not currently in a P5 conference, other than UConn, made the Final 4?

Reaction Score
So Val Ackerman (at 17:32) confirms that the 20-game schedule will be for women's basketball as well.

This will mean a reduction of UConn's OOC schedule from 13 or 14 games to only 9 or 10.

that stinks
UConn needs to press hard to change that

Reaction Score
When was the last time a WBB team not currently in a P5 conference, other than UConn, made the Final 4?

Prob Jackie Stiles and SW Mo St (now just Mo St) in ~2001?

Reaction Score
so? just one moment in time ... we all could pick a moment .... remember when 3 of 4 FF came from the BE?

I mean seriously P5 conferences total 60, 70 schools but the fact is you don' t have to be P5 toget into the final four. But to get in to the FBS bowl playoffs you almost certainly have to be P5
I am not going on with this ..... the point is the rules are different for P5 football with regards to competing for a championship. In football if you aren't P5 you are for the most part locked out. In basketball and baseball and volleyball etc, P5 non-P5, it's equal opportunity.

I am not interested in college football so I don't care about P5 and FBS. It is all just that green shirt / white shirt crap. Lord of the Flies anyone?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
that stinks

Unfortunately, we have no leverage to demand anything. They will want UConn to play all the BE schools for maximum exposure and you cant blame them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm not hip to the business machinations that make realignment happen, but folks who seem to know what they're talking about seem to agree that another major round of realignment is coming at some point -- perhaps as early as the mid-2020s, perhaps a bit later?

One interesting article (among many): How another round of realignment could bring change to the sport of college football

UConn's administration, as we all know. face-planted miserably on the previous round. Will they have one more chance to redeem themselves? Will they be up to the task? (Perhaps these questions are best left rhetorical.)

Reaction Score

It will also mean that the Big East schedule will have to begin before Christmas.

Which school should be our first tree ornament?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
that stinks

The new kid on the block is going to start making waves already in a conference it has not stepped in yet? I suppose it don't hurt to ask.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
that stinks
With the difference in the SOS between the AAC and the BE, UConn does not need to change anything. They will most likely have fewer long road trips while playing against higher competition both in and out of league play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Why they did not bring Geno and Hurley up for comments in the presser is something I cannot fathom. Yes, Geno, it feels good to be home. It feels so good to me, I cannot imagine how good it feels to you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Which school should be our first tree ornament?:rolleyes:

Bad, bad @mbr33ct. I seem to recall a stat like 153-8 for UConn in the Big East against the new big East teams. But I do believe they all embrace it, because it just brings so much veracity and relevance to the table. "Do I wanna play UConn? Hell Yes!"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

So, let me be clear here: You are starting to long for the AAC? ... ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom