UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football? | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn to new Big East? What happens to Husky football?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hope you’re right. But in Texas and the rest of the country outside CT, we’re seen as quitters.
The rest of the country says stuff like this "UConn wasn’t really hung out to dry, but rather sat around expecting the Big Ten or ACC would just call them up and offer them a spot, not realizing their athletics facilities are hideous"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They are people who base their self worth on the success of the school's basketball program, rather than even caring to further develop UConn for their kids.
This a classic case of projection. It's the fans like you that have wrapped themselves up in the cloak of Big Time Football, not UConn football. There's still going be UConn football and it will be probably be just as good and hopefully better than it's been for the last decade. But you won't be able to squint and convince yourself that it's Big Time like you do now. You don't care that the prospects for the teams that pay the freight (and the athletic department and the school) have shot up over night. I'm reminded of that old joke about the elephant keeper at the circus. He's telling a friend about his job:

"Everyday I have to clean up after the elephants. You wouldn't believe how much they go. Sometimes I gotta get the hose and help 'em along. Then you gotta watch out, you could have poop flying everywhere."

"That's sounds awful" says the friend "Have you thought of getting a different job?"

"What? And leave show business?"

Reaction Score
Negotiation leverage

I don't know the budget nor the priorities. Nuts. However, I believe NOT being on SNY and being subject to the Conference placing all that content - equal to the other AAC schools - on ESPN+ is a deal breaker. One that we need to punch back.

We have a unique Athletic Structure. I believe we can succeed at Football. But, we need to not be slammed by this conference.

My belief after reading the Hartford Courant article on Benedict

We knew far in advance that SNY was being nudged out. And our WOMEN's BB - worth several million - was free content in that mix to ESPN. $ is clear. Then. What is going on with the huge drop in Fans.

I don't think Dave Benedict is David Gavitt. But ... he better have some of those good points.

Reaction Score
The rest of the country says stuff like this "UConn wasn’t really hung out to dry, but rather sat around expecting the Big Ten or ACC would just call them up and offer them a spot, not realizing their athletics facilities are hideous"

As you know W ... I actually have toured campuses.

OUR Football facilities - imho - are far better than some of our regional rivals (cough Syracuse or BC). And Temple? First playing way down Broad Street at the Lincoln is worse than our sole exclusive at the RENT. Wait ... have you seen their Practice facilities? 4 blocks east of Broad Street and not far from the center of the Academics is a woeful field and fencing. A brick bunker building. And the worst block building recently build Student Housing I have seen.

We do not lack in facilities. On here thread by thread I have made the point (to many basketball desirees to BE membership ... YOU DO NOT walk away from several hundred million dollars of investment by the University and State. What is the answer? I have some notion ... but it is awful at the moment. But empty cold dark Rentschler playing some strange SMU team was too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As you know W ... I actually have toured campuses.

OUR Football facilities - imho - are far better than some of our regional rivals (cough Syracuse or BC).
That was my point, our facilities aren't hideous but that's what "others around the country" think.

Reaction Score
That was my point, our facilities aren't hideous but that's what "others around the country" think.
That's all about lazy "group think. Just like in politics. What we need is clearer messaging and better messengers. I love the platform Orlovsky now has. FOX may now tout us even more than we deserve. That's all good.. We just told the sports world that we're not taking any more of this crap. Now lets get to winning, making a plausible TV arrangement --and getting some good publicity for a change. Ultimately I'm thinking we just might have the last laugh.

Reaction Score
No what I'm saying is there's no concrete proof that realignment is dead. Any attempt to claim as such, like Exit 4 is doing, is simply conjecture.

As for the first part of your post....are you saying the solution to dwindling attendance and apathy is to kill football?
The "proof" if there is such a thing, is that payouts in the P5 have gotten so big that, no one outside the P5 is going to add break even money to a TV contract. Networks overpaid to keep their properties/conferences intact. Many schools in the P5 now, BC, SU, Wake, aren't worth what their getting.

Maybe your right, but the reason the rest of the American was giddy about this TV deal because for many of them this is like 7 times what they were getting 7 years ago. We are still behind what we were getting in the Big East.

I'm not a fan of the move, but i do get it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom