UConn to Host '19 NCAA Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to Host '19 NCAA Tournament

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone was really claiming this was a UConn benefit. I certainly I wasn't. I was just saying regardless whether UConn was hosting they couldn't play there.
It is the principle inquiry of the OP.

"How can Hurley spin this to our advantage?"

To which I responded, "Unless I am mistaken, I don't think this actually is good news."

I didn't say it was bad news, and don't necessarily think it is bad news. I just can't see any additional benefit for the UConn basketball program, in particular.

Reaction Score
So I'm told. So other than having the Husky Dog head (That no one here likes) in the out of bounds corners of the court, how is this a benefit for UConn?

Having the NCAA tournament in your own backyard is a great benefit for local UConn residents and alumni if for no other reason than having the NCAA tournament in your own backyard...

If there isn't much else to do in Hartford when the tournament comes to town, your city will become one big college bball party.

There was also a lot of Shocker logo representation on NCAA signage all over Wichita during our regional much to the chagrin of ChicKUnhawk fans reminding them of who owns this city...

T

...:cool:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm under the same impression. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think this actually is good news.

UHa should host.

You can no longer play at any arena where you play your home games (some number or percentage, I'm not looking it up). So we could never play in Hartford no matter who was the host.

Reaction Score
So you are the third person to mention why it may not be a net negative. Care to explain the net positives?
I mentioned the NCAA stuff. Also there are basketball games. So I dunno, we are basketball fans and there are some basketball games. I like basketball games, NCAA tourney has some good ones sometimes!

Reaction Score
It is the principle inquiry of the OP.
"How can Hurley spin this to our advantage?"
To which I responded, "Unless I am mistaken, I don't think this actually is good news."
I didn't say it was bad news, and don't necessarily think it is bad news. I just can't see any additional benefit for the UConn basketball program, in particular.
IF we narrowly define the thread and all responses to fit this precise definition of 'Hurley spinning this to our advantage', then you are technically correct while there are certainly possibilities for positives (NCAA interaction, building basketball fans) they are marginal & tangential.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You can no longer play at any arena where you play your home games (some number or percentage, I'm not looking it up). So we could never play in Hartford no matter who was the host.
Fourth.

IF we narrowly define the thread and all responses to fit this precise definition of 'Hurley spinning this to our advantage', then you are technically correct while there are certainly possibilities for positives (NCAA interaction, building basketball fans) they are marginal & tangential.

Why not just say that?

It's not a technicality. It was the question posed in the OP. I simply gave my opinion. 4 posters so far have latched on to the UHa portion of the comment, which honestly was intended as a throw-away. On the other hand, is there anything to stop UHa from hosting and putting the games in Uncasville? What about amending the comment from UHa to Fairfield or Bridgeport? Does UConn play more than 4 home games at Webster Bank Arena?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
1998. Best game was UNC beating UNC-Charlotte in OT.

I seem to remember Princeton being there? I have an image in my head of their band playing in the halls of the Civic Center. I also believe MSU was there because I recall being excited to watch Mateen Cleaves.

I remember it being packed with fans from all over.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Fourth.

Why not just say that?

It's not a technicality. It was the question posed in the OP. I simply gave my opinion. 4 posters so far have latched on to the UHa portion of the comment, which honestly was intended as a throw-away. On the other hand, is there anything to stop UHa from hosting and putting the games in Uncasville? What about amending the comment from UHa to Fairfield or Bridgeport? Does UConn play more than 4 home games at Webster Bank Arena?
who took a steamer in your cheerios?

Reaction Score
I seem to remember Princeton being there? I have an image in my head of their band playing in the halls of the Civic Center. I also believe MSU was there because I recall being excited to watch Mateen Cleaves.

I remember it being packed with fans from all over.

1st Day
UNC-Navy
Charlotte-UIC
Michigan St-Eastern Illinois
Princeton-UNLV

2nd Day
UNC-Charlotte
Michigan St-Princeton

The UNC/Charlotte game really was the only entertaining game of the set. Princeton/MSU was a 7 point game but never really in doubt.

Husky25

Reaction Score
who took a steamer in your cheerios?
images

Reaction Score
This is going to be a disaster.
If it is a disaster I would fully blame the locals. Time for folks in and around Hartford to show what the city and immediate region is about. Be welcoming and warm to people who visit, help those who look lost/guide them, showcase the best the city has to offer (culture/museums, food, bars, etc.), tell people what potential (at least what I was reading in the other thread) the city has, especially in the coming years. Also, West Hartford is cool and makes a neat half day trip diversion. I have always felt, in all of my travels, that local people can make or break a place and either make a subpar place pretty cool or an above average place a location you want to pass up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Au contraire, Providence was one of the best first round sites I've visited - Worcester the worst. Hartford literally in the middle, decent enough bars for in-between games and type of place that can be NOTHING but NCAA for a weekend. Basketball fans will come out for the games especially NOW WITH BEER!!

When its in Boston you can barely tell.
That UConn vs. UCF game was a strange one in Worsteshire. Alluding to another recent post, I had no idea beer was not served.

I joined the UCF fan club to get tickets. They almost came back. And I still get alumni mailings from UCF all these years later.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
As a college hoops fan from Wethersfield, I can't wait for this. I've been to many NCAA games throughout the country-including the George Mason debacle-and they are always fun. Depending upon what teams are placed in the region, the tickets should be VERY affordable. If tiny schools and schools from a significant distance end up in Hartford, we will be able to get in for like $10. When the AAC tourney was at the XL last, my father and I got tickets for non-Uconn games for like $3. The Uconn games cost about $70. I can't imagine there being high demand for an Arizona/LIU-Brooklyn or UNC/Davidson game. But for a local college hoops head, the prices will be well worth the product.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I can't imagine there being high demand for an Arizona/LIU-Brooklyn or UNC/Davidson game. But for a local college hoops head, the prices will be well worth the product.

Generally agree with your post but think you vastly underrate UNC's pull in this statement.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You are correct MattMang...I should have used a different team as an example. UNC will draw better than most. However, I don't see any of these games selling out, or having to shell out too much money for a ticket. Since I bought a 5 game flex pack this season, I was offered the chance to put in a deposit to get these tickets at face. I will wait until the games come and probably get them for less.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember in 1990 fewer games were scheduled at the Civic Center that year giving the Dream Season Huskies the chance to play in Hartford as the 1 seed that year.

Reaction Score
You can’t play more than, I believe, 4 regular season games at a site to be eligible to play regional games regardless of who is hosting.
I guess this rule changed in the 90's as I remember seeing the first and and second round of the dream season in Hartford. That was a lot of fun to go to the games in Hartford and see UCONN go to the sweet 16. Memorable times.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hurley should show players 2014 and UConn fans showing up at MSG for tournament.

Reaction Score
Since games are at XL, if UConn makes the NCAAs next season, will they at least have UConn play on alternate days? Imagine it would kill attendance if UConn was playing a first/second round game elsewhere on the same days the games at XL are being played. Especially since all fist round sites have an afternoon and evening doubleheader.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember in 1990 fewer games were scheduled at the Civic Center that year giving the Dream Season Huskies the chance to play in Hartford as the 1 seed that year.
I think that was pre-rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom