UConn to Host '19 NCAA Tournament | The Boneyard

UConn to Host '19 NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
Well, this should only serve to further display how awful the XL Center is. But now, instead of just the UConn fan base seeing how bad it is, we get to show off the disaster to basketball fans far and wide. Yaaaay.

Last edited:

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I remember attending (as a kid) the 1983 NCAA Tournament at the Civic Center (OSU vs Cuse, SJU vs Rutgers) and I can remember it being packed. That was my first live college basketball game.

Reaction Score
Make the most of it Huskies! It was GREAT for Wichita!

The NCAA Tournament has come and gone from Wichita: How'd we do?

Rob Gray, the Houston point guard many local fans call “Man Bun,” said he was impressed with Intrust Bank Arena and the enthusiastic welcome his team received from Wichita State fans.

“My family said they’ve seen a lot of Wichita State fans in red yesterday.... They’re supportive because they are our American Athletic Conference brothers,” Gray said. “We’re really thankful for being sent to Wichita. I’ve never played in this gym, but I really like it already.”

Gray’s teammate Galen Robinson Jr. said people in Wichita were “welcoming and friendly.”

“I was watching the news and they did interviews of Wichita State fans,” Robinson said. “And they were like, ‘We’re cheering for Houston.’ And it just felt good. We’re not alone.”

Gray said Houston “definitely would have to return the favor” if Houston is a tournament site in the future.

The building performed how its managers promised the NCAA it would on Thursday, and it even outshone other venues around the country in a few areas.

One of its most notable accomplishments, Boleski said, was filling up the arena up to near-capacity with school kids and excited local fans on Wednesday, which was open practice day. That never happens in other venues, and people took note.

"The practice day was just a home run," Boleski said. "A lot of the players were really impressed that they saw that many people there for practice day," he said.

Visiting national media also was impressed.

"In my three decades associated with college basketball, I've never witnessed an NCAA first round practice session quite like the one the Jayhawks had Thursday," said Steve Lavin, a Turner Sports NCAA analyst in town for the game. "It was not only a large crowd but the energy was palpable. "

"Overall, it's gone fantastic," Boleski said. "We've head a lot of comments from out of town guests who have been at other NCAA sites who say it ranked up there with the atmosphere of a Final Four."
It's all about the fans. If the city of Hartford and Husky Nation comes out and supports the event well it will be a success.

T

...:cool:

Reaction Score
Au contraire, Providence was one of the best first round sites I've visited - Worcester the worst. Hartford literally in the middle, decent enough bars for in-between games and type of place that can be NOTHING but NCAA for a weekend. Basketball fans will come out for the games especially NOW WITH BEER!!

When its in Boston you can barely tell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I presume this means that we would be ineligible to be placed in a Hartford pod?

Reaction Score
Where the heck did all those skyscrapers come from? Would have been fine using our actual skyline in Hartford.

Reaction Score
I presume this means that we would be ineligible to be placed in a Hartford pod?
Last paragraph of the release:
The UConn men's team will not be eligible to play its first- and second-round games in Hartford if they are selected to the 2019 field. Teams are not allowed to play at sites where their institution is serving as a host.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm under the same impression. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think this actually is good news.

UHa should host.
No school should host under that logic. Greensboro NC is a way worse city and people love the ACC & NCAA tournament being there, no one is impugning the hosts.

Without delving too deeply into tournament bubble or Conference realignment conspiracies and morass maybe its a good thing to work with the NCAA admin and the selection committee?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm under the same impression. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think this actually is good news.

UHa should host.
You can’t play more than, I believe, 4 regular season games at a site to be eligible to play regional games regardless of who is hosting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's a chance to see some good basketball and a chance to showcase what the XL could be to a private investor.

Reaction Score
My uncle has traveled everywhere for NCAA tourney games and he said he had the most fun when Hartford hosted the last time (2008?). Plenty of restaurants/bars near the XL. If you're going somewhere to watch basketball what else do you need?

Husky25

Reaction Score
No school should host under that logic. Greensboro NC is a way worse city and people love the ACC & NCAA tournament being there, no one is impugning the hosts.

Without delving too deeply into tournament bubble or Conference realignment conspiracies and morass maybe its a good thing to work with the NCAA admin and the selection committee?

upload_2018-4-23_14-27-44.jpeg

Chapel Hill and Duke play in state precisely because UNC - Greensboro hosts (what seems like) every other year. No one cares about UNCG, or Ashville or NCSt, or Wake. Other teams host so those two program have the opportunity for what amounts to 2 home games during the Tournament.

Reaction Score
My uncle has traveled everywhere for NCAA tourney games and he said he had the most fun when Hartford hosted the last time (2008?). Plenty of restaurants/bars near the XL. If you're going somewhere to watch basketball what else do you need?
1998. Best game was UNC beating UNC-Charlotte in OT.

Reactions: MrP
Reaction Score
View attachment 30933

Chapel Hill and Duke play in state precisely because UNC - Greensboro hosts (what seems like) every other year. No one cares about UNCG, or Ashville or NCSt, or Wake. Other teams host so those two program have the opportunity for what amounts to 2 home games during the Tournament.

Yeah but even if UConn wasn't hosting they still wouldn't be able to play there as they play too many games there anyways.

Reaction Score
View attachment 30933

It doesn't matter if UHA or Trinity or the up & coming Bluejays host, UConn ain't playing NCAA games there b/c we play home games there. And incidentally if we pick any year in the next 20 in which we have the lowest NCAA odds, 2019 is it. So the opportunity to not play there even b/c another school is not hosting is likely not blown.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yeah but even if UConn wasn't hosting they still wouldn't be able to play there as they play too many games there anyways.
So I'm told. So other than having the Husky Dog head (That no one here likes) in the out of bounds corners of the court, how is this a benefit for UConn?

Husky25

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter if UHA or Trinity or the up & coming Bluejays host, UConn ain't playing NCAA games there b/c we play home games there. And incidentally if we pick any year in the next 20 in which we have the lowest NCAA odds, 2019 is it. So the opportunity to not play there even b/c another school is not hosting is likely not blown.
So you are the third person to mention why it may not be a net negative. Care to explain the net positives?

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone was really claiming this was a UConn benefit. I certainly I wasn't. I was just saying regardless whether UConn was hosting they couldn't play there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom