UConn To Demolish 9 Buildings (Some Historic) For Campus Green Space | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn To Demolish 9 Buildings (Some Historic) For Campus Green Space

Reaction Score
I miss the (old) frat row that was above Towers. Zeta Psi was the first one on the left; I remember they were booted off campus at the start of my sophomore year in '95 because of a huge party they had during spring weekend.

Triangle was up there too. In the UCMB, we had one of our weekly parties during the football season in that house (not sure why; I'm assuming we had a member who was in it). But some of us were downstairs in the basement and it felt like the floors were bending because there were so many people above us. Reminded me of the Delta House.

The old Frat row was fun, too, especially living in Alumni, plenty of parties to walk over, too. SAE were all of the jocks, played them in a lot intramural soccer games, Sig Ep I swear was half my high school. My roommate my soph year was in TKE and spent some time there. Kappa Kappa Gamma was, damn, a freaking candy store.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The old Frat row was fun, too, especially living in Alumni, plenty of parties to walk over, too. SAE were all of the jocks, played them in a lot intramural soccer games, Sig Ep I swear was half my high school. My roommate my soph year was in TKE and spent some time there. Kappa Kappa Gamma was, damn, a freaking candy store.

this was still the case when I was on campus until they were kicked off in 2014

Reaction Score
this was still the case when I was on campus until they were kicked off in 2014

they were nasty girls though. I knew a few of them from here and there and would hang out with them occasionally, and most of them were plain mean.

Reaction Score
they were nasty girls though. I knew a few of them from here and there and would hang out with them occasionally, and most of them were plain mean.

Not for about 30 seconds, I mean an hour or so, on any give Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
UConn's 'Nine Little Houses' Should Stay

"I attended the Aug. 3 meeting of Connecticut’s Historic Preservation Council, at which we learned that the State Historic Preservation Office (part of the Department of Economic and Community Development) had approved UConn's plans to demolish nine buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Between concrete and brick monoliths on the UConn campus in Storrs lies a lovely oasis of these wooden-frame buildings and mature trees. All nine buildings are slated for demolition, in spite of some of them being in use as late as last week. Being historic does not necessarily prevent their destruction, as long as certain conditions are met -- but these conditions seem not to have been met. I believe that a bad decision has been made by the historic preservation office and UConn administrators."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn's 'Nine Little Houses' Should Stay

"I attended the Aug. 3 meeting of Connecticut’s Historic Preservation Council, at which we learned that the State Historic Preservation Office (part of the Department of Economic and Community Development) had approved UConn's plans to demolish nine buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Between concrete and brick monoliths on the UConn campus in Storrs lies a lovely oasis of these wooden-frame buildings and mature trees. All nine buildings are slated for demolition, in spite of some of them being in use as late as last week. Being historic does not necessarily prevent their destruction, as long as certain conditions are met -- but these conditions seem not to have been met. I believe that a bad decision has been made by the historic preservation office and UConn administrators."
Except of course that there is nothing 'historic' about them. The sole reason they are listed in the National Register is that they are located onUConn's campus. Move them a half mile and they are old buildings that aren't particularly noteworthy other than their state of disrepair.

Reaction Score
Except of course that there is nothing 'historic' about them. The sole reason they are listed in the National Register is that they are located onUConn's campus. Move them a half mile and they are old buildings that aren't particularly noteworthy other than their state of disrepair.

The author is a UConn professor...

Quentin C. Kessel

Reaction Score
This is why state and federal costs to do business are so high. It's not because the departments are inherently inefficient, it's that they have to jump through all these ridiculous hoops to get anything done

Quinnipiac going throw same stuff w/ Hamden. I get history/historical value but man...

Reaction Score
Those junky brown houses are historic. Yeah, for the amount of puke they produced as frats.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom