UConn to be 2018's bounce-back team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn to be 2018's bounce-back team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think next year's team absolutely has the talent to win a title the way we've won a few, I'm not saying we'll be threats to challenge for the title, but the frontcourt is the glaring weakness as far as we know.

I will say it again though, we have made a habit out of winning the national championship with great guards and serviceable bigs who are simply able to do enough when we need it.

2011: Charles "I love this team" Okwandu, Alex Oriakhi, Tyler Olander
2014: Amida Brimah, Phil Nolan, Tyler Olander

Reaction Score
Is there anything that can be done to cut back on this rash of injuries or was it soley a string of really bad luck only?

Reaction Score
1. Stop scrimmaging with the ladies on first night.
2. No more gymnastics in the strength and conditioning program.
11 am starts aren't helping either

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We need a team that hustles all the time, like it is their trademark. That kind of effort will produce confidence
because it wears down opponents who very rarely play to that level. Even if we should lose the opponent will know they are in for a long afternoon or evening. They will find playing us very unpleasant. (I am thinking of some previous teams we've had and say Louisville. We will have a lot of bodies next year. If they are not "10 toes in" starting in the preseason KO should have a quick hook. Almost anything can be accepted except a lack of effort. We are not talented enough to get away with that. As mentioned above; the front court has some real question marks. Hustle is about character and motivation. Put that together with the talent we have and the team can go someplace and even surprise themselves.

Reaction Score
Sacrifice one walk on per season to the basketball gods

We need a team that hustles all the time, like it is their trademark. That kind of effort will produce confidence
because it wears down opponents who very rarely play to that level. Even if we should lose the opponent will know they are in for a long afternoon or evening. They will find playing us very unpleasant. (I am thinking of some previous teams we've had and say Louisville. We will have a lot of bodies next year. If they are not "10 toes in" starting in the preseason KO should have a quick hook. Almost anything can be accepted except a lack of effort. We are not talented enough to get away with that. As mentioned above; the front court has some real question marks. Hustle is about character and motivation. Put that together with the talent we have and the team can go someplace and even surprise themselves.
I can not agree more. But you can not really teach hustle, it is just innate. But I find that hustle can really make up for a lack of talent, to an extent. I want those scrappers on Uconn going forward. the ones who dive on the floor, scrape their knees, are not afraid to dive into the stands to tap the ball to another team mate, and even one down and dirty down low Rodman style type of player, at least one, a mini rodman. A wide load 6¨6 type of guy that might shoot 1-5 or 2-7 and rarely crack 10 points but pulldown 15 or 20 rebounds per game (you can depend on it) including 5 or 6 offensive boards, block a shot and just be a general nuisance while being smart enough to avoid more than 3 or 4 fouls in 30 minutes. I wish too much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think next year's team absolutely has the talent to win a title the way we've won a few, I'm not saying we'll be threats to challenge for the title, but the frontcourt is the glaring weakness as far as we know.

I will say it again though, we have made a habit out of winning the national championship with great guards and serviceable bigs who are simply able to do enough when we need it.

2011: Charles "I love this team" Okwandu, Alex Oriakhi, Tyler Olander
2014: Amida Brimah, Phil Nolan, Tyler Olander
Maybe I don' t know enough about next year's players but I challenge that we have enough talent. Durham has shown little, Gilbert is small, Vance is slow and not a good defender, Enoch can't defend and stay on the floor. Diarra I have no idea, many players seem injury prone. Let's throw in the towel, just joking but unless a transformational scoring talent is coming we could very well be looking at a team that is only a bit better than this year. There is talent and I really don't want to believe that but look at what we've scored for the last 3 seasons. It's been a struggle.

Reaction Score
Maybe I don' t know enough about next year's players but I challenge that we have enough talent. Durham has shown little, Gilbert is small, Vance is slow and not a good defender, Enoch can't defend and stay on the floor. Diarra I have no idea, many players seem injury prone. Let's throw in the towel, just joking but unless a transformational scoring talent is coming we could very well be looking at a team that is only a bit better than this year. There is talent and I really don't want to believe that but look at what we've scored for the last 3 seasons. It's been a struggle.
I certainly understand the skepticism, but I still find it hard not to be optimistic about next year. But it's also just as easy to say this instead of the bolded part:

Durham has flashes and will be another year removed from his injuries, Gilbert is quick and gives us a 3rd ball handler, Vance is an elite 3 point shooter, Enoch is a better offensive weapon than Brimah. Diarra I have no idea

Point being, every player had their strengths and weaknesses, if we had full of perfect players we'd be #1. But until they give me a reason not to be, I'll be optimistic about next year's team

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
What we need to see next year is much better shooting, and that will come if Jackson, Vital, Adams, Laurier and Gilbert can hit 3's, if Polley, Jackson, Larrier, Enoch and Durham can reliably knock down 12-15 footers - which they will get. And if that improved shooting can draw the defense to open driving lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom