UConn Tied for 24th in Preseason Coaches Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Tied for 24th in Preseason Coaches Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone explain why UK is grabbing headlines as 'preseason #1' when UNC has the same number of points, but more first place votes. I would think that should make UNC #1. I get that PRESEASON anything doesn't matter, but I think its funny.

They're both #1. Total points are the only thing that matters. Who left UNC out?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry even with Skal UK is not better than Maryland or UNC on paper. And we should at least be 16-20. I love following this sport more than any other but the biases and politics make me die a little inside every day.
Maryland isn't better than us on paper and we will prove it on the court at MSG. It cracks me up how slept on we are this year.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
There is no way that Butler, Purdue, West Virginia, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, or Notre Dame have a better team than we do. Do they not realize that Jerian Grant and Pat Connaughton are gone? Or Frank Kaminsky, Sam Dekker and Josh Gasser? Or Juwan Staten? Etc. Why does Duke get the benefit of the doubt with an entirely new roster? Why does LSU? Or Arizona? I will never understand why UConn always has to prove something. Obviously we've had some of our best seasons coming in as a fringe top 25 team, there's nothing wrong with it, but that's not what we are this year. Our roster is SO improved with our whole core back except Boat. We have a top 10 roster on paper, but have to prove more because we're UConn and in the AAC. The biases in these things are unbearable.

Reaction Score
Maryland isn't better than us on paper and we will prove it on the court at MSG. It cracks me up how slept on we are this year.
Agree, but team-wise we are using a pencil right now. Our ink pen will arrive in January.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Someone explain why UK is grabbing headlines as 'preseason #1' when UNC has the same number of points, but more first place votes. I would think that should make UNC #1. I get that PRESEASON anything doesn't matter, but I think its funny.

I think the tie breaker is fewest active NCAA investigations.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is no way that Butler, Purdue, West Virginia, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, or Notre Dame have a better team than we do. Do they not realize that Jerian Grant and Pat Connaughton are gone? Or Frank Kaminsky, Sam Dekker and Josh Gasser? Or Juwan Staten? Etc. Why does Duke get the benefit of the doubt with an entirely new roster? Why does LSU? Or Arizona? I will never understand why UConn always has to prove something. Obviously we've had some of our best seasons coming in as a fringe top 25 team, there's nothing wrong with it, but that's not what we are this year. Our roster is SO improved with our whole core back except Boat. We have a top 10 roster on paper, but have to prove more because we're UConn and in the AAC. The biases in these things are unbearable.
It's more of what have you done for me lately than UConn or AAC bias. But I have to say your depth of understanding of what teams have regarding returning players would be a terrific starting place for people voting. Maybe the voters are familiar with the things you are pointing out. Would be nice to see some in depth evaluations from the voters explaining their rational for the preseason votes.

Bottom line is these pre season bb polls can easily be overcome with a decent body of work. The pre season football polls on the other hand have far to much weight in determining BCS championships because there isn't as large a body of work and because there is not a lot of crossover games to help determine if the pre season poll has accuracy.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
What's funny about this pre-season poll is that we're the only AAC team ranked and we were picked to finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the AAC in most write-ups. Reminds me of the 2005-06 team where Villanova was picked to win the BE and we were ranked a couple of spots ahead of them in both pre-season polls.

(standard BY disclaimer applies... pre-season rankings don't matter)

Reaction Score
This is unbelievably great mojo. We always excell when we're least respected.
In 2011 somebody published a "64 best teams in the country" preseason, and Kemba's team was not on it. May have been the 1st time in history a team not projected to make the tourni won it.

I feel like a kid again, 4 days before Christmas.

Reaction Score
Couple of observations.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-top-25-college-basketball-outlooks/73977590/

In light of the Kentucky's marketing power, why does anyone even vote? They should automatically be given the #1 spot because that is what Coach Cal wants and that's what the media gives him. Too bad the other teams just don't get it and keep beating him in the Final 4.

UNC owes its (tied) #1 ranking to their women's basketball and men's soccer team for conveniently throwing themselves under the bus so that the results of the never-ending sag of UNC's academic scandals can be delayed until after the 2015/6 Final Four. Otherwise, UNC would likely have joined SMU on the bench for this season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-carolina-tar-heels-violations-ncaa/31725969/

Overall, the AAC continues to get no respect. We need Cincinnati and at least 1 other team to make noise this season to help. The beat-down the NCAA gave to SMU really hurt.

As for UConn, they have a lot of potential; but, last year was a bad season, so they need to prove themselves. I would have put them a little higher maybe a late teen or an early 20 ranking.

"(Tie) No. 24 Connecticut (20-15): All eyes will be on transfer guard Sterling Gibbs. Gibbs averaged 16.3 points and 3.8 assists on 43.1% shooting for Seton Hall last season, but will be suiting up for the Huskies for his senior year. They also signed the fifth-ranked point guard, Jalen Adams, who will be ready to make a splash now that Ryan Boatright is gone. Opens: Nov. 13 vs. Maine (7)."

Reaction Score
Oh right. I forgot for the entire offseason that this sport is a crock.
AP, not Coaches, but still: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/the_pre-season_ap_poll_is_great

I will never understand why UConn always has to prove something. Obviously we've had some of our best seasons coming in as a fringe top 25 team, there's nothing wrong with it, but that's not what we are this year. Our roster is SO improved with our whole core back except Boat. We have a top 10 roster on paper, but have to prove more because we're UConn and in the AAC. The biases in these things are unbearable.

Possibly because last year we got the benefit of the doubt at #17 and failed to make the NCAA tourny?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
lol, this terp guy just sits around waiting for someone to post about Maryland. It's hilarious.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Context for the UConn vs. UMD discussion, starters only. Fill in whatever projections you want for Stone.

UconnVUMD.jpg

Volume stats are per 40.

Reaction Score
I agree, if take care of business in Puerto Rico AND win Battle4Atlantis, we could be number 1 in the country by the end of Nov.

If we properly reward the team for winning the Battle for Atlantis tournament with an extra stop in Puerto Rico to celebrate then the team will be extremely motivated to win the NCAA tournament...

Joking aside it was a brain fart on my end. My mind was stuck on last years Puerto Rico Tip off tournament.

Reaction Score
Did you think the thread title was a joke?

Which one, the original thread title asking when the polls would be out?

It's nice that mods updates thread titles, but it leaves some posts sounding silly later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom