UConn The Target | The Boneyard

UConn The Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
October 31, 2016 Howard Megdal

Jose Fernandez is entering his 17th year as the South Florida women's basketball coach. He's won 285 games, made the NCAA tournament three of the past four years, and last season produced a WNBA first-round pick, Courtney Williams.

And yet, for all the progress his program has made, it's still measured against the same yardstick as the rest of women's college basketball: Geno Auriemma's Connecticut Huskies, winners of the past four national championships and 11 since 1995.

"It's a little different," Fernandez said of the upcoming season. "But I think everybody, not just in our conference, is still chasing Connecticut. So for us, that's going to happen in January. Everyone's going to talk about, with Connecticut, what they lost, but they're also bringing back a lot of talent."

…Even SMU's new head coach, Travis Mays, got the job after Auriemma made a call to the school on his behalf.

But back when Pat Summitt's Tennessee was the power rival to beat, Auriemma didn't raid her staff for coaches or try to emulate everything she did. So is the best way to topple Connecticut really to try and be them?

"It's OK to be a copycat as long as you copy the right cat," Mays said. "And I think Geno Auriemma is the right cat...

[MUCH MORE]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Connecticut will feel it star trio's absence at point guard, where talented-but-inexperienced freshman Crystal Dangerfield will start."
Is that the reporter's guess or does he know something we don't?

Reaction Score
"Connecticut will feel it star trio's absence at point guard, where talented-but-inexperienced freshman Crystal Dangerfield will start."
I'd say it's a guess. Not a bad guess but a guess. IMO, she's got the skills. If she's got the attitude and just steps up and grabs the wheel I believe he'll let her go.

Reaction Score
He may not start CD, but if she earns it he will give her lots of time vs. Saniya in similar circumstances and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: HGN

HGN

Reaction Score
He may not start CD, but if she earns it he will give her lots of time vs. Saniya in similar circumstances and let the chips fall where they may.
Agreed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's common knowledge that Crystal Dangerfield was recruited and brought in to replace Moriah Jefferson. While it's true that Dangerfield comes in with an extraordinary amount of ball handling skill and floor savvy, those high school/AAU level skills must be modified to play at the Division 1 level, and more importantly, in Geno's system. The question is how long will that transformation take?

Moriah Jefferson had developed into arguably the best point guard in the country by her junior year. She didn't get there overnight. It took her two years to transform her skills and understanding of Geno's system before she got there. Most believe Dangerfield will eventually arrive somewhere near that plateau. Again the question is how long will it take? The play Geno gets from his other veteran guards Chong and Nurse (the only two veteran guards on the roster), will dictate how long Geno can spend on this maturation process.

Chong is the key. She's the wild card. Geno knows what he can get/expect from Nurse. If Chong can start the season at the point, and play up to Geno's standards, then he can bring Dangerfield along slowly. If she can't, Geno may be forced to insert Dangerfield into the starting lineup and allow her to go through the "baptism under fire" methodology, or the less attractive "OJT" (on the job training) approach.

It's been reported that Dangerfield comes in with a very high basketball IQ. It may not take her that long to make the high school to college adjustment.
We'll find out over the next 3 weeks how her adjustment to the D-1 level of play is going. How much meaningful playing time she gets in the games against Florida State and Baylor will be revealing. It's just been officially announced that Chong will be in the starting lineup against IUP.

Carnac

Reaction Score
One more observation with respect to UConn being the target this year. Something that was mentioned in the article triggered a thought. While everyone is focusing on UConn, they should be aware of the potential "mine fields" that they will encounter during their journey this season. Those mine fields manifested themselves in last year's tournament in the forms of Syracuse, Oregon State and The University of Washington.

Teams were so focused on UConn, and what they needed to do to get there and beat them, they lost "trap games" to those schools. Beat the team(s) in front of you first. Win the games you need to win and the games you are supposed to win, THEN get UConn in your sights. The other top ranked programs had tunnel vision, and did not see the hazards around them, which eventually caused their demise.

Reaction Score
It's common knowledge that Crystal Dangerfield was recruited and brought in to replace Moriah Jefferson. While it's true that Dangerfield comes in with an extraordinary amount of ball handling skill and floor savvy, those high school/AAU level skills must be modified to play at the Division 1 level, and more importantly, in Geno's system. The question is how long will that transformation take?

Moriah Jefferson had developed into arguably the best point guard in the country by her junior year. She didn't get there overnight. It took her two years to transform her skills and understanding of Geno's system before she got there. Most believe Dangerfield will eventually arrive somewhere near that plateau. Again the question is how long will it take? The play Geno gets from his other veteran guards Chong and Nurse (the only two veteran guards on the roster), will dictate how long Geno can spend on this maturation process.

Chong is the key. She's the wild card. Geno knows what he can get/expect from Nurse. If Chong can start the season at the point, and play up to Geno's standards, then he can bring Dangerfield along slowly. If she can't, Geno may be forced to insert Dangerfield into the starting lineup and allow her to go through the "baptism under fire" methodology, or the less attractive "OJT" (on the job training) approach.

It's been reported that Dangerfield comes in with a very high basketball IQ. It may not take her that long to make the high school to college adjustment.
We'll find out over the next 3 weeks how her adjustment to the D-1 level of play is going. How much meaningful playing time she gets in the games against Florida State and Baylor will be revealing. It's just been officially announced that Chong will be in the starting lineup against IUP.
Dangerfield likely to get significantly more playing time than did Jefferson her Frosh year. Will this help her develop quicker. Likely, but we will have to see.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

The games that Crystal Dangerfield played for USA basketball were infinitely better for her development than HS or AAU because 1) She was coached by Dawn Staley much of the time 2) She was sharing the floor with All-American players (A'ja Wilson & Azura Stevens) and future UCONN teammates (KLS & Napheesa Collier) 3) She was playing above her age group. IMO she is more than ready to run the point at UCONN.

Reaction Score

I think he has taken what he saw of Dangerfields playing and listened to Genos high praise of her--and put 4 and 4 together and got 2. If she is anywhere near what i saw and think she is--she'll start--minimum come off the bench to take the point from Kia or relieve Chong . By NCAA time--she'll be among Geno's Core.

If anyone on UConn's team, including those in the Coaching staff, every says : i feel the absence of Stewie--I'd be shocked. Geno in the past often repeated : We cannot play with last years team--they are gone--you play the game with what you have--and what he has isn't chicken soup!!

Reaction Score
The games that Crystal Dangerfield played for USA basketball were infinitely better for her development than HS or AAU because 1) She was coached by Dawn Staley much of the time 2) She was sharing the floor with All-American players (A'ja Wilson & Azura Stevens) and future UCONN teammates (KLS & Napheesa Collier) 3) She was playing above her age group. IMO she is more than ready to run the point at UCONN.

Early on Last Year--you were a believer in Napheesa --and Crystal Dangerfield--i could not have spoken for Crystal more eloquently or effectively---thank you--she shall pay back your belief in triplicate.

Reaction Score

G
I know I'm the lone voice while emptying my bladder in the wind--Geno has/had/ shall have a bias for freshmen guard playing early, at times he has opted to use them and was successful.
With Moriah Jefferson--(here is where I deviate from the established belief) was a good to great guard as she arrived on campus. Truth is she had to learn Geno's system--that's a fact! Geno put her in against Diggins and the ball was taken from Mo--that happened to more experienced guards in that game--but Geno sat her in 10 second pt. At the end of the year--Geno's Guards went to him and said TRuST Moriah--he did and she was the Moriah we began to know.
So --I'll never believe it took Moriah a year or even 2 years to become OUR Moriah--that's just me and i won't change. Moriah was desired by Baylor--and a dozen other teams--why// She was that great in hS..

Everything else I mostly agree with--The good news is Chong is starting the Exhibition game--is that and inkling of things to come--is she really, finally, ready for prime time
WBB?? I hope so---like Butler--Uconn needs them to bring their A Plus Games ever game..

Reaction Score
One more observation with respect to UConn being the target this year. Something that was mentioned in the article triggered a thought. While everyone is focusing on UConn, they should be aware of the potential "mine fields" that they will encounter during their journey this season. Those mine fields manifested themselves in last year's tournament in the forms of Syracuse, Oregon State and The University of Washington.

Teams were so focused on UConn, and what they needed to do to get there and beat them, they lost "trap games" to those schools. Beat the team(s) in front of you first. Win the games you need to win and the games you are supposed to win, THEN get UConn in your sights. The other top ranked programs had tunnel vision, and did not see the hazards around them, which eventually caused their demise.
You are (without knowing it) repeating Geno's : play one game at a time--get up for the game in front of you --not the one two games beyond. Too many teams look beyond the one in front of them -ala last years USC, ND, MD--and went home early.. I like your list of mine fields--they are up and comer's.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Chong is the key.

Nope. You carve out that space, you lose. However politically correct it is, there is less likelihood of that by a considerable margin than Guns coming out like a house on fire. Saniya has demonstrated that she cannot sustain the tempo that is UConn's hallmark. She's the safe choice to start out PG, but it will not advance the ultimate objective.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Broadway, you know there is no substitute for experience. Yes, Mo was a very good pg. But.....she had to go through her growing pains just like every other freshman. The one thing ALL freshmen have in common is "they don't know what they don't know". She was NOT the player as a freshman or sophomore, that she was as a junior/senior. (neither was Stewie) She grew in experience, judgement and decision making a little bit everyday.
These are three things that must be learned by doing over time, not by watching or listening...by doing!!!! It's like driving a car. You're a much better driver now than you were at 16. Because of the time you've spent behind the wheel, not from sitting in the passenger seat watching someone else drive.

Mo got better everyday during the season, and during the summer months. If you remember, one summer Mo said she went home and locked herself in a local gym all day to work on her shooting, not satisfied with her ability to shoot the 3, because teams did not respect her ability to knock down shots from that distance, and thus would not guard her that far from the rim (just like teams would do Kiah Stokes when she would set up at the top of the key. They knew that Kiah would not shoot or drive from there. Dolson on the other hand was different. She was a triple threat to pass, shoot, or drive).

Jefferson returned the following season with renewed confidence in her ability to shoot the 3 consistently. To suggest that Mo had reached her potential as a freshman or sophomore, is suggesting that she did not grow beyond that point. I don't think that is your position. We both know better than that. No matter how good Crystal is now, she is nowhere near the play she will be in two years. She will grow, she will mature, her decision making will get better. Her entire skill set will improve over the next four years. Broadway, remember this little factoid: You can't cook minute rice in 20 seconds. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Nope. You carve out that space, you lose. However politically correct it is, there is less likelihood of that by a considerable margin than Guns coming out like a house on fire. Saniya has demonstrated that she cannot sustain the tempo that is UConn's hallmark. She's the safe choice to start out PG, but it will not advance the ultimate objective.

Rocky........Haven't you heard about the "new & improved" Saniya Chong? :eek: You're making assumptions BEFORE a single game has been played. Do you have inside information the rest of us don't? How about we wait at least until the Florida State game before we begin "carving" anything. You may not agree with my premise, but it still makes sense to me.I maintain if Chong plays well the beginning of the season, it will allow Geno to bring Dangerfield along slowly like he did Lou. If you remember, she did not become a starter until mid-January. IF Chong still can't play well enough to give Geno that time, then yes, insert her now, and let her learn the position the hard way, through trial & error.

Geno may have a timetable he wants to use in inserting Dangerfield into the starting lineup that we don't know about. I agree that "Guns" will take over the pg position eventually. That's common knowledge. The only question is when. Sooner or later? It's very possible that Geno will use these two exhibition games to allow Saniya to audition for the now "vacant" pg position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Broadway, you know there is no substitute for experience. Yes, Mo was a very good pg. But.....she had to go through her growing pains just like every other freshman. The one thing ALL freshmen have in common is "they don't know what they don't know". She was NOT the player as a freshman or sophomore, that she was as a junior/senior. (neither was Stewie) She grew in experience, judgement and decision making a little bit everyday.
These are three things that must be learned by doing over time, not by watching or listening...by doing!!!! It's like driving a car. You're a much better driver now than you were at 16. Because of the time you've spent behind the wheel, not from sitting in the passenger seat watching someone else drive.

Mo got better everyday during the season, and during the summer months. If you remember, one summer Mo said she went home and locked herself in a local gym all day to work on her shooting, not satisfied with her ability to shoot the 3, because teams did not respect her ability to knock down shots from that distance, and thus would not guard her that far from the rim (just like teams would do Kiah Stokes when she would set up at the top of the key. They knew that Kiah would not shoot or drive from there. Dolson on the other hand was different. She was a triple threat to pass, shoot, or drive).

Jefferson returned the following season with renewed confidence in her ability to shoot the 3 consistently. To suggest that Mo had reached her potential as a freshman or sophomore, is suggesting that she did not grow beyond that point. I don't think that is your position. We both know better than that. No matter how good Crystal is now, she is nowhere near the play she will be in two years. She will grow, she will mature, her decision making will get better. Her entire skill set will improve over the next four years. Broadway, remember this little factoid: You can't cook minute rice in 20 seconds. :cool:

Not much to disagree with---every player as a Freshman WILL (if she plays) continue to grow in experience and knowledge--that's a given. As I said--MY BELIEF is Moriah was ready much earlier to give Uconn a better point guard--Geno had others he held in high regard--Doty for one. It is a firm belief--since neither you nor I can turn the clock back --we'll never know for sure. So you believe as you do--and I'll believe Moriah was great from the start.
Moriah came in--in my less than humble opinion--ready to go, as she learned Geno's system. I have the same belief in Crystal Dangerfield.
I don't think i mentioned her 3 point shooting--but she was no slouch --again better as a senior--experience (the given).
Another Factoid---Humans are not rice--and all humans don't respond alike--different anatomies, mental capacity, driven by other outside factors. The only comparison is rice in it's original form has a hard shell to remove--much like some WBB players.
Actually I cook minute rice in 20 seconds or less --hi pwr in the microwave. A trick i learned in Puerto Rico--ate alot of that Arozz Fritos phonetically (close) and black beans and rice with adobo seasoning--A gringo from Upstate Ny taught me a bit. He serviced the Aericibo dish up 1000 ft swaying in the sensor\
All who come to Uconn to play and practice and remain healthy--gain experience and learn more of the Geno way each year---a given.
Still the point is Crystal will play this year, whether she is Geno's sole point guard--anyone's guess--my expectation is she shall--that's just me. Like Moriah, this kid is a keeper.

I think we are looking at the same coin from different side--and have much to agree about.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky...Haven't you heard about the "new & improved" Saniya Chong? :eek: You're making assumptions BEFORE a single game has been played. Do you have inside information the rest of us don't? How about we wait at least until the Florida State game before we begin "carving" anything. You may not agree with my premise, but it still makes sense to me.I maintain if Chong plays well the beginning of the season, it will allow Geno to bring Dangerfield along slowly like he did Lou. If you remember, she did not become a starter until mid-January. IF Chong still can't play well enough to give Geno that time, then yes, insert her now, and let her learn the position the hard way, through trial & error.

Geno may have a timetable he wants to use in inserting Dangerfield into the starting lineup that we don't know about. I agree that "Guns" will take over the pg position eventually. That's common knowledge. The only question is when. Sooner or later? It's very possible that Geno will use these two exhibition games to allow Saniya to audition for the now "vacant" pg position.

We're all making assumptions before a single game is played. That's what the "hot stove" season is for. I simply don't believe that Saniya has anything she hasn't shown us after 3 years. Yes, that is an assumption, but based on history, not hope and a crystal ball. ;)

Reaction Score
I'd say it's a guess. Not a bad guess but a guess. IMO, she's got the skills. If she's got the attitude and just steps up and grabs the wheel I believe he'll let her go.
YOU joined a large number on the boneyard--your guess is a good as any. I like the way you guess.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Moriah was a terrible 3 point shooter as a freshman and sophomore. That is why the opposing teams would not guard her on the perimeter. It really showed in a loss to ND. That is when she made up her mind to be a better 3 point shooter.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We're all making assumptions before a single game is played. That's what the "hot stove" season is for. I simply don't believe that Saniya has anything she hasn't shown us after 3 years. Yes, that is an assumption, but based on history, not hope and a crystal ball. ;)

Rocky, I knew I'd get a rise out of you, and I did. I've read enough of your comments to know which buttons to push to get the desired results. Read my comments again. No where do I suggest or say that I "hope" Chong starts. I'm on record as saying I don't care who starts. I do not advocate her playing one way or another. There are many other posters here that do. I'm not one of them. It's obvious that you are not a fan of hers. I don't have anything to do with that. Your opinion of her has nothing to do with me, nor does it sway me one way or the other.I'm not a quick on the draw to shoot her down before I have a chance to observe her as you seen to be. I'll wait to she if she can pass the "eye test" before I arrive at a solution on her present status.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. You've stated your position, and I've stated mine, and I'll continue to stand by it. We don't have to agree. Since neither of us is the coach of the team, our opinions really don't matter in the overall grand scheme of the team's fortunes anyway.

So, we'll leave it there. We're both mature adults whose opinions are not easily swayed. That crystal ball reference was a low blow Rocky. However, despite your aversion towards it, it none the less served me very well last year. Contrary to popular belief, if used properly, it can be a very useful and reliable aide. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Moriah was a terrible 3 point shooter as a freshman and sophomore. That is why the opposing teams would not guard her on the perimeter. It really showed in a loss to ND. That is when she made up her mind to be a better 3 point shooter.

Thank you donalddoowop for corroborating my observation & comment. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, I knew I'd get a rise out of you, and I did. I've read enough of your comments to know which buttons to push to get the desired results. Read my comments again. No where do I suggest or say that I "hope" Chong starts. I'm on record as saying I don't care who starts. I do not advocate her playing one way or another. There are many other posters here that do. I'm not one of them. It's obvious that you are not a fan of hers. I don't have anything to do with that. Your opinion of her has nothing to do with me, nor does it sway me one way or the other.I'm not a quick on the draw to shoot her down before I have a chance to observe her as you seen to be. I'll wait to she if she can pass the "eye test" before I arrive at a solution on her present status.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. You've stated your position, and I've stated mine, and I'll continue to stand by it. We don't have to agree. Since neither of us is the coach of the team, our opinions really don't matter in the overall grand scheme of the team's fortunes anyway.

So, we'll leave it there. We're both mature adults whose opinions are not easily swayed. That crystal ball reference was a low blow Rocky. However, despite your aversion towards it, it none the less served me very well last year. Contrary to popular belief, if used properly, it can be a very useful and reliable aide. ;)

I am a fan of Saniya's. Always have been. But reality must intrude. She is not a starting PG absent some startling transformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom