Uconn ... the real story | The Boneyard

Uconn ... the real story

Reaction Score
I have watched the mixed feelings in these forums over the last several months. I am a former Uconn All---Conference athlete. I was fortunate enough to go on to a professional career in the States and abroad. We are all Uconn-junkies, or at least I will speak on my own behalf...I am a Uconn Hoops junkie. before anyone takes a swat at what I am about to write, just know it is my personal observations. You may agree or disagree, certainly that is everyone's choice.

I've watched kids from the state, that seldom got away under Calhoun, slip through without much notice. Dunn to Providence, Heron to Auburn (leading scorer as a freshman), Diallo to KY, etal. This simply didn't happen under Calhoun, or at least as frequently. He shut the door on the Pressley's, the Pinnone's, the Jenson's as Rollie used to camp out in CT, he slammed that door shut.

I have no angst against Kevin Ollie, but some is starting to build. I have been in the sports world my whole life, and the business world for a good chunk of it as well. There is an old adage, "When a fish stinks, it stinks from the head." What exactly does that mean? It means the AD, and Kevin Ollie regarding Uconn basketball. Trouble is watching players get thrown out of the huddle, watching players fight (with words), on the court, more times than I cared to watch, watching JA get scolded by KO, and JA erupts back in KO's face. I guarantee you, if that was Jim Calhoun, Adams would of been in the locker room, done for the night.

I have issues with the entire coaching staff being all former guards. Does it matter? I believe it matters in 2 ways. recruiting against Uconn is going to point this out for any big man. Yes, a coach knows what to tell a big, and can coach him, but he never lived it, and that is tough.

Recruiting is getting harder and harder. WHY? The AAC is just not where it is at. case in point, just 3 players in the top 100 signed with AAC schools this year, and 2 of those were in the 90s. Why does this matter? It ultimately is going to weaken the conference, and as it is, SMU 30-4, is a #6 seed. Cincinnati, 29-5 is a #6 seed. They both got bounced early. The optics of that are not good. We have seen AAC teams with 23,24 wins the last few years left out of the Big Dance. WHY? Because the opportunity for quality wins is very limited. You have to win 25 games in this conference to be a sure thing, 23/24 maybe 50-50. Uconn can no longer schedule 4-5 big out-of-conference games, they have to be like Geno, and schedule almost every game vs a top 25 team. If not, accept the fact that 23 wins, 24 wins may not be enough.

What has happened the last week or so, is not the problem, it is a symptom of a much bigger problem. I don't know KO, all I have heard and seen is he is a great guy, and I assume that is correct. You are what your record says you are, but the winning team he had was with a bunch of Calhoun's kids. he made the tournament one time with his own kids, on an answered 70 ft. prayer heave by Adams. What's next?

First off, Ollie is going nowhere, as Benedict locked him up for 5 years, and his stock once extremely high, has taken a big hit. he is a competitor supreme, his resume in the NBA is proof of that. He will take this personally, and what that means is he will rise above it all, and succeed, or fall flat on his face, in over his head. That script has yet to be written.

Larrier and Gilbert only played 3 games, and while they looked promising, that script is not written either. Theyfaced Wagner, northeastern, and Loyola,Marymount, 3 cupcakes, and did a respectable job. It would be easy to pencil them in for great careers, but we don't have that answer yet. Larrier is now 2 full years away from competition, Gilbert 1. It may matter, it may not.

If Ollie wins 23+ games with this team, as presently constituted next year, he did a fantastic job. If he makes the NCAA Tournament, he did an incredible job. If he doesn't, it will make his job unreasonably difficult going forward, as the perception of the public, the recruits, the coaches recruiting against them, will be Uconn is no longer Uconn, it would be 4 of 6 years out of the Dance, Calhoun missed it 4 times in his final 22 years, and if Ollie reaches 4 whiffs in 6 years, it will spell huge problems.

This brings me to the point of all this. Next season is as critical of a season for Uconn, perhaps in their history. Regardless of your feelings right now, and they are probably concerned, wounded, or carry on, don't under-estimate the need for every body in the stands, every cheer and reassurance one can give, because this is the biggest moment for Uconn basketball in our lifetimes, it is the biggest oment for everyone associated with Uconn basketball.

let's take what we have been gifted to, and not expect it, but put all your will into making it continue, and hopefully that trickles down to coaches and players. GO UCONN!

Reaction Score
Wow, so many inaccuracies in this post. I'll just address two. 1) Calhoun was still coach even by the time Kris Dunn matriculated to PC and UConn already had 2 players that you might have heard of in Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright at his position 2) If you were/are a fan you would know that MANY players have sworn at JC in public and private

Reaction Score
I'm not a former basketball player, if that is what your saying....another sport

Reaction Score
I'm not a former basketball player, if that is what your saying....another sport

It's a joke. Hang around for a little while and you'll see what I mean

Reaction Score
Russ, that was well said and appreciated as a former Husky no matter the sport. I don't have anything to argue with and you are right on especially about the conference and the scheduling part. Not drawing big recruits to the AAC, early OOC and performance is a Catch 22 to use an old book and movie phrase. The only thing I would add is that KO is defensive minded and that's how he thinks championships are won, so to get into the dance consistently we need fighters with BBIQ but 6 years without success is not an option in this program, former player or not.

Reaction Score
Wow, so many inaccuracies in this post. I'll just address two. 1) Calhoun was still coach even by the time Kris Dunn matriculated to PC and UConn already had 2 players that you might have heard of in Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright at his position 2) If you were/are a fan you would know that MANY players have sworn at JC in public and private

I beg to differ, Calhoun's last season was 2011-12, Kris Dunn was a freshman at Providence the following year.

Reaction Score
I agree with most everything except Heron and Dunn.

• Heron not going to UConn is not on Ollie at all. Its on the conference if anything. I know Heron, he wanted out of the state, maybe if UConn was in the ACC then he might have gave them a better look but not on Ollie at all.
  • Dunn committed to Providence while Calhoun was coach of UConn if I'm not mistaken. August 2011 per Wikipedia.

Reaction Score

In the huddle on the sidelines, during a game, please refresh me on that, who?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not much to argue really. This is a pretty fair summary of where I think we are and maps to what I've been saying about Ollie. He wasn't ready. That much is obvious. But he's a tenacious, smart guy, and I hope he becomes the head coach we need. He's still our best option.

I also agree on next season. UConn fans are too tied to the area and program to realize that UConn is already pretty close to being Dayton in the eyes of the world. The women help keep the image afloat, but we simply cannot be a team that doesn't get into the NCAAs and win games every single year. In this conference, UConn has to perform like Gonzaga or it will wither and become just another mediocre mid major. That winning has to start now. Last year, being ranked pre-season and ending up under .500 was a crippling blow to the program.

Reaction Score
how is Diallo a state(CT) kid, and there are plenty of examples of CT kids going elsewhere under Calhoun, including one of the names you mentioned in Dunn.

He played in CT, and Dunn was on Ollie's watch, not Calhoun's. Name one CT kid that is in the NBA, or was in the NBA that Calhoun let get away the last 20 yrs?

Reaction Score
I beg to differ, Calhoun's last season was 2011-12, Kris Dunn was a freshman at Providence the following year.

Calhoun recruited Drummond to UConn the same year Dunn went to PC. But--do you even remember Drummond paying his own way because UConn was put of scholarships? Dunn wasn't getting a scholarship. Nor were they paying like Auburn does.

Reaction Score
He played in CT, and Dunn was on Ollie's watch, not Calhoun's. Name one CT kid that is in the NBA, or was in the NBA that Calhoun let get away the last 20 yrs?
No it was not on KO's watch, Dunn committed to PC while Calhoun was the HC, this is something that you could easily Google so as to not be loud and wrong but you choose not to. Diallo played at a CT prep school just like thousands of other kids for the past 25 years, so I guess every kid that played at a CT prep is a "CT kid". I guess you can add more names to list of "CT kids" that JC lost out on then with that stupid logic.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've watched kids from the state, that seldom got away under Calhoun, slip through without much notice. Dunn to Providence, Heron to Auburn (leading scorer as a freshman), Diallo to KY, etal. This simply didn't happen under Calhoun, or at least as frequently.

I would disagree with this. Ryan Gomes? Plus others. Also, I thought Mustapha Heron was deemed to have too much 'handler baggage', so they steered clear. Could be wrong there. Look what happened with Vance this year and you can see why. I know he wanted to go somewhere else from the jump anyway.

They took Omar over Dunn. That was an error in retrospect, but at the time, Omar was perceived to be the better player.

Trouble is watching players get thrown out of the huddle, watching players fight (with words), on the court, more times than I cared to watch, watching JA get scolded by KO, and JA erupts back in KO's face. I guarantee you, if that was Jim Calhoun, Adams would of been in the locker room, done for the night.

Throwing someone from the huddle is a JC move. No problem with that.

I wish I could remember the player, but there was a time when one of the players barked back at JC, and a reporter asked him about it. JC just smiled and said he liked the fire.

You are what your record says you are, but the winning team he had was with a bunch of Calhoun's kids. he made the tournament one time with his own kids, on an answered 70 ft. prayer heave by Adams. What's next?

I think this is such an overrated sentiment. Number 1, Ollie helped recruit those kids. Number 2, Ollie is responsible for the majority of their development. More his kids than not.

This brings me to the point of all this. Next season is as critical of a season for Uconn, perhaps in their history. Regardless of your feelings right now, and they are probably concerned, wounded, or carry on, don't under-estimate the need for every body in the stands, every cheer and reassurance one can give, because this is the biggest moment for Uconn basketball in our lifetimes, it is the biggest oment for everyone associated with Uconn basketball.

Agree on the fan support thing. There were probably a number of 'most important seasons in program history'. 2011, with the program reeling, sanctions on the horizon, JC retirement sooner rather than later, a rough regular season....then the 5in5 followed by the NCAAs. That was the steadying of a capsizing ship.

And then 2014 was so goshdarn important, given the troubles we are going through now. Can you imagine if we had no postseason that year either? The program would be on life support. It bought us time with national perceptions, and it bought Ollie time to get his sea legs.

As an Aside: Notice to anyone on this board who wants to criticize the program/players. This is how you do it. Reasoned, unreactionary posting. Not a hot take in sight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Again he committed to Providence while Calhoun was head coach, not on Ollie. But keep sticking to your point. Also I guess you forgot Ryan Gomes.

New London's Kris Dunn opts for Providence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom