UConn, the Alabama of Basketball | The Boneyard

UConn, the Alabama of Basketball

Reaction Score
'PRESSURE' is great, provided it generates equal 'Response' !

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I live here in Alabama. And I know some rabid fans, many of whom have never even been to Tuscaloosa. But Saban was on television last week before the Arkansas game complaining that his players were not practicing to his standard, and that some were feeling sorry for themselves. He cannot expect to say crap like that and not expect fans to harp on it after a game that was far closer than it should have been. A coach should coach his team and ignore the babbling horde. Perhaps Nick is too busy making Aflac commercials to teach his defensive backs the gameplan? And for those who pay the hefty price for tickets and parking at Bryant -Denny , they have a feeling that they have earned the right to grouse about a defense that leaks like a sieve.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I live here in Alabama. And I know some rabid fans, many of whom have never even been to Tuscaloosa. But Saban was on television last week before the Arkansas game complaining that his players were not practicing to his standard, and that some were feeling sorry for themselves. He cannot expect to say crap like that and not expect fans to harp on it after a game that was far closer than it should have been. A coach should coach his team and ignore the babbling horde. Perhaps Nick is too busy making Aflac commercials to teach his defensive backs the gameplan? And for those who pay the hefty price for tickets and parking at Bryant -Denny , they have a feeling that they have earned the right to grouse about a defense that leaks like a sieve.
I'll have to disagree with you; these players are college students, not professionals.

Reaction Score
Someone should split this with Saban on one half the screen and Geno on the other. I know I’m the OP, but watching this again and I hear Geno saying the same thing.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I'll have to disagree with you; these players are college students, not professionals.
Had Saban not, that very week, publicly criticized his own player in front of the media, I would agree. But I found it hypocritical of Nick to complain when fans were regurgitating his own words. I agree that fans of all teams have unreasonable expectations, but that is what they are: fanatics. I am grateful for every win that Bama gets, and the same goes for UConn wbb. But many coaches, Nick and Geno included, now use media spotlights to send messages to their players. When fans echo those messages, and even compound them, it should not be a surprise. BTW, I am glad Saban is at Alabama. I appreciate any coach who elevates his charges to be the very best version of themselves. And I also know that I could not do what Geno and Nick do so well. RTR and Go, Huskies.

Reaction Score
I watch individual football games of the local teams but I don’t really pay much attention to the national scene. The SEC appears to be a number of football teams with a loose association to some universities. I have no interest in any. Women’s basketball is reaching parity. It used to be UConn and Tennesse, then there was Baylor and Notre Dame and Stanford and Louisville and then Maryland and South Carolina and....

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Nice piece on College Gameday this morning on Nick and Terri Saban. After the 2011 tornado tore through Tuscaloosa, they donated houses to Habitat for Humanity. My daughter was in engineering school at the time and was right in the middle of the devastation; the need was great in the aftermath. So far the Sabans have sponsored and donated 18 houses in the area. They have had a positive impact on their community in many ways.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Spot on by Saban. I wonder if Alabama football has a message board that is as vocal (opinionated) as the BY.
I am betting their board is XXXXXXX rated after 1st half against Auburn. Auburn's defense chomping all over Alabama in 1st half. If Auburn had any real offense. they would win by 20 before a real throttling by GA next week.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I am betting their board is XXXXXXX rated after 1st half against Auburn. Auburn's defense chomping all over Alabama in 1st half. If Auburn had any real offense. they would win by 20 before a real throttling by GA next week.
This is a huge rivalry game that dominates the season every year. Some very good teams from both schools have been upset in the Iron Bowl in past years. The injured Auburn quarterback, Bo Nix, spent most of two weeks complaining vociferously that Alabama always gets all the calls, preferable treatment, and great press. It was a whiny little snot nosed brat of a thing that just added to the antagonism between the teams. But Bama started poorly, and Auburn's defense had the right answers for over 50 minutes. So many mistakes and selfish penalties plagued Saban's offense nearly as much as Auburn's front seven. But the refs did not favor Bama by any means, so Nix seemed all the more petty. But good teams find a way to win, and Bama rallied back from 10 down to win. They have been erratic all season, seeming to flop back and forth between offensive and defensive struggles, seldom able to really put a great game together. Next week vs Georgia they will be sorely tested. But the Iron Bowl lived up to its tradition of rough and tumble football. Big Blue vs the Buckeyes is a storied contest, but the Iron Bowl is also a fierce rivalry. My poor wife was apoplectic at the play of the Tide, but relieved at the outcome. College sports are such fun!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom