UConn-Tenn Pre-Game Press | The Boneyard

UConn-Tenn Pre-Game Press

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Also appreciated Azzi saying how they had 2 great practices. I don't remember a time when a player or Geno said we had great practices and we did not play well in the game.

And it appears Geno is on an all out offensive to push Azzi to greatness riding her in practice

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'll tell you what, I am nervous as hell about tomorrows game. Go Huskies!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
First time that UConn will be the underdog in a game vs. Tennessee since the last year before Pat canceled the series, what, 15 years ago?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I love the way she danced around the question on the difference between Geno and CD on the coaching, very diplomatic and safe answer.
"He's pretty loud", said with a little smirk on her face. Love it.

Reaction Score
They look rested, relaxed and ready. They are aware that they are playing Tennessee, but I have a sense that their greater objective is to continue reassembling the team and their own UCONN history. They know little of the "rivalry". I chuckled when Azzi said, ...I know E came from THERE.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you what, I am nervous as hell about tomorrows game. Go Huskies!!
Nervous or excited? I'm very excited but after listening to Azzi and Caroline I'm not nervous. It's big test for us, but it looks like we have turned the corner as a team, and if we click on all available cylinders tomorrow we will be one hell of a problem for anybody in our way.

Reaction Score
Everyone is pushing for Azzi to shoot more. She's taking every good shot opportunity she has generated. I'd rather see her keep doing what she's doing now, and be extremely efficient in all phases of her game, than throwing up shots Caitlan Clark style. I think she has it right. The only difference I'd prefer to see is to have her as the point guard for now, to put the ball in her hands more, and let her create her own shot more by setting her screens around the top of the key. She has a great pull up jumper and we should use it. One thing which really helps is to know when your player is going to shoot so that other players can anticipate it and get the rebound. We should be setting up play after play for Azzi and Caroline at the top of the key. They can kick it to others for 3 pointers or use the roll for passes to the post. Azi can launch 3 pointers from the top of the key also when desired. Put the ball in her hands more. She doesn't turn the ball over a lot. She can do it.

Reaction Score
Everyone is pushing for Azzi to shoot more. She's taking every good shot opportunity she has generated. I'd rather see her keep doing what she's doing now, and be extremely efficient in all phases of her game, than throwing up shots Caitlan Clark style. I think she has it right. The only difference I'd prefer to see is to have her as the point guard for now, to put the ball in her hands more, and let her create her own shot more by setting her screens around the top of the key. She has a great pull up jumper and we should use it. One thing which really helps is to know when your player is going to shoot so that other players can anticipate it and get the rebound. We should be setting up play after play for Azzi and Caroline at the top of the key. They can kick it to others for 3 pointers or use the roll for passes to the post. Azi can launch 3 pointers from the top of the key also when desired. Put the ball in her hands more. She doesn't turn the ball over a lot. She can do it.
Agree. It's not just an issue of what she is doing, it's more of an issue of what the team is doing for her. I have seen several recent instances, at least 4, where she was wide open on a cut to the basket and AE didn't give her the ball. She needs to get the ball on those cuts because she finishes great and will get fouled and go to the line and that is a positive thing for a shooter. Her teammates have to find her more with the ball but she has to move more too, constantly like Caroline. She also has to step up her defense because it will help her offense by not letting her think about it. Believe me, when you play hard defense you should have no problems shooting. She is still feeling her way right now but we need her tomorrow to stop the tepid ingenue approach and try to put the team on her shoulders the way she is capable of.

Reaction Score
Geno's exact point in the pre-game presser without giving percentages.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Aubrey's little brother shot 3-6 from the arc today against UNC and is still shooting 50% from the distance on the season. He's barely 18 and moving toward the top-10 in the NBA draft. I'd love to see Aubs shoot like that!

Reaction Score
True, but PB is a supreme facilitator, so it is difficult for players of Paige's calibre to know when to shoot and when to get the ball to someone else. I've always been fascinated by how players like that- Bird, Magic, LeBron- know when to do what at the exact right time.
Azzi is a shooter, so when she's not shooting, what is she doing really? She's attracting a lot of attention by the opponent's defense, but other than that. Some of Larry's best games were the 20-10-6 variety, that he basically averaged for his career.
So, doubly important to get Azzi off because that's how she can help UConn.

Reaction Score

I would like it to happen just don't think it can this early. They haven't played enough yet together. In a weird way it seems Azzi sees the floor better than any of the other players not named Paige. And the offense has been such a struggle, it's hard to tell CWill and CD to tone it down vs go with their instincts this early especially vs a top 20 opponent.

Reaction Score
Don't tell MM, she wouldn't believe you because of ESPN's bias towards UConn.:rolleyes:
because ESPN shilling a collegiate program negates a former rival coach saying they are biasesd ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom