UConn team attitude | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn team attitude

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Did I really see Kia deck Marina or did I imagine it. I saw the passion from UConn but it was under control. They are trained not to celebrate but to get back on defense.

Because a player doesn’t scream and dance and wave her arms after every made basket doesn’t mean she doesn’t have passion. The kind of hysterical actions I saw from one player only indicates a look at me attitude that detracts from the team mentality that I love in our players

A player can go 6 for 21 and still be the star of the game because of one shot. The one shot doesn’t reflect on the game.

The game UConn played was enough to win the game. They scored more two point and three point baskets than the other team. The UConn game plan worked perfectly. The game did not.

Just one question, when was the last time CD had to hold Geno back from the refs? Please don’t tell me the refs don’t cause you to lose a game.

I am stunned by the hyperbolic reaction to one loss when our team played so well and so hard

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did I really see Kia deck Marina or did I imagine it. I saw the passion from UConn but it was under control. They are trained not to celebrate but to get back on defense.

Because a player doesn’t scream and dance and wave her arms after every made basket doesn’t mean she doesn’t have passion. The kind of hysterical actions I saw from one player only indicates a look at me attitude that detracts from the team mentality that I love in our players

A player can go 6 for 21 and still be the star of the game because of one shot. The one shot doesn’t reflect on the game.

The game UConn played was enough to win the game. They scored more two point and three point baskets than the other team. The UConn game plan worked perfectly. The game did not.

Just one question, when was the last time CD had to hold Geno back from the refs? Please don’t tell me the refs don’t cause you to lose a game.

I am stunned by the hyperbolic reaction to one loss when our team played so well and so hard
Yes, Kia pancaked Mabrey. I am wondering if that goes back to the little kerfuffle between Pheesa, Kia & Mabrey in the regular season game at the XL center in December.

As for CD dragging Geno back to the bench, I’m sure she did it just last season, perhaps during the ND game? I think wrestling Geno back to the bench is part of CD’s job description.

Reaction Score
While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, with all do respect, I reject the premise upon which you base that opinion.
We can respectfully disagree. Thank you for the thoughts.

Reaction Score
I would rather look at it differently as opposed to being unappreciative. An analogy, may not be perfect....your teenager is an "A" student, always top of her class. You are proud as a parent, especially considering all of the distractions that affect that age group, and you see how her peers are performing, and you go...I am so blessed to have such a focused and high character teenager in this day and age. But occasionally your "A" student gets a "C", still pass, but below yours and their expectation. What would be your response. Would it be, the "C" is no problem, you always get "A's" so no biggie. Or would you say...well, you got a "C" this time, below your expectation, so let's try to figure out why you got a "C" when you always get a higher mark. Maybe you need extra help, tutoring or suggestions...? As a parent, and like most parents, I assume the response would be the later. The responses you see are not for lack of appreciation for our Huskies and all that they have accomplished, it is more a collective sharing of their own disappointment with the outcome. I know that they are disappointed at the outcome they have said so themselves), and are probably at their wits end as to why this happened. We as die-hard fans are just expressing our opinions on the why, nothing more, nothing less.
That is just crazy.
Losing one game, in overtime, in the semi final championship, on a literally last second shot, is not a "C". It's an "A".

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Arike ALWAYS has only one thing on her mind. Arike is also a Junior and her teammates and Muffet have learned not to expect to get the ball back once it gets into her hands.

This is the one play I was scratching my head at with the limited time on the clock just crowd the heck out of her, she is never going to pass.

Reaction Score
Yes, Kia pancaked Mabrey. I am wondering if that goes back to the little kerfuffle between Pheesa, Kia & Mabrey in the regular season game at the XL center in December.

As for CD dragging Geno back to the bench, I’m sure she did it just last season, perhaps during the ND game? I think wrestling Geno back to the bench is part of CD’s job description.

Did you have a birds eye view? I did this was a typical dirtbag play by a player who did the same thing to Ionescu in the Oregon play. As Kia was cutting in a forward motion, the dirtbag player took a dive coming in from the side and was a complete set up by said dirtbag player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did you have a birds eye view? I did this was a typical dirtbag play by a player who did the same thing to Ionescu in the Oregon play. As Kia was cutting in a forward motion, the dirtbag player took a dive coming in from the side and was a complete set up by said dirtbag player.
Agree that Mabrey was trying to pick up a cheap foul on the play, which she did. My enjoyment was that Kia made sure it wasn’t a “ticky-tack” foul when she lowered her shoulder and flattened Mabrey.

Reaction Score
I know Oldude. It is just inexcusable, especially when this player has gotten away with all this crap and then we get called for being in correct defensive positioning.

Reaction Score
Each of the other 3 teams in the FF has a “go to” scorer who they can give the ball to in an isolation play who is capable of beating a defender off the dribble or pulling up for a jumper. (Vivians, Durr & Ogunbowle) UConn doesn’t quite have that player.

While I agree that UConn’s offense has never depended on one player, when the Huskies had DT & Maya in particular, whenever the offense broke down somewhat, as it did last year vs MS St’s tough man-to-man, or Friday against ND’s zone, which neutralized much of what UConn tries to do on offense, it is invaluable to have one or more players who can put the ball on the floor and score.
UConn has not had an offense that facilitated one on one play for several years. With one or more players typically at the post, floor is not spread and relatively easy to double on shooter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn has not had an offense that facilitated one on one play for several years. With one or more players typically at the post, floor is not spread and relatively easy to double on shooter.
Agree with your first point but not the second. UConn spreads the floor and flashes multiple players through the post. Unless the other team is playing zone, like ND, they can’t just have their post sit in the paint.

If UConn had a player who could isolate, say at the top of the key, with 4 players spreading the floor, if another defender attempted to double the iso, the way the Huskies pass, you’re probably looking at a wide open jumper or layup.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
1) I thought they played scared a timid again, much like the Miss St game last year. They just seemed to tense up once they got out of the regionals. This is 2 years in a row that it's happened.

2) Geno said in that ESPN the magazine article that last year's team didn't have the animal instinct of past teams. And basically the same team came back this year.

Ouch.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The first half Uconn were in the swing of it, putting their mark on the game by the end of the half. 2nd half the foul calls took their toll. Hard to play freely when you have 3 main players with 4 fouls and the game is not being called the same way at both ends.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I disagree. The first half Uconn were in the swing of it, putting their mark on the game by the end of the half. 2nd half the foul calls took their toll. Hard to play freely when you have 3 main players with 4 fouls and the game is not being called the same way at both ends.

Aitballing shots in the paint. Missing open layups. Not even hitting the rim. All mental issues.

And down the stretch no one wanted to shoot in the 4th quarter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And down the stretch no one wanted to shoot in the 4th quarter.
Pheesa sure didn’t want to shoot that 3 with 30 seconds on the clock in regulation to help UConn overcome a 5 pt ND lead, and then there was Crystal’s reluctance to knock down a 3 near the end of OT to again come back from 5 pts down.

Maybe I was watching a different game then you were.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom