UCONN Swagger-the Origin of [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Swagger-the Origin of [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I played with a girl in high school who played at Baylor for one year, 2004. She said it was insane, and that Mulkey was extremely tough. She was a walk on with other D1 offers but really wanted to play for Mulkey. She left and went to a D3 school where she won a national championship. I don't think there was a ton of love lost when she left.

The top coaches probably run their programs similarly. But it's tough to find players who will buy in to that. I've said it before, but how on earth do you only get to two FFs with Griner? And Sims only went to one! It's not as easy as just having the best players.

Reaction Score
It's funny. I didn't find it a complimentary article and didn't enjoy it. I thought it focused on the negatives, without any compensating balance.
I guess it may not have been complimentary, but it was very realistic. And written by a former college player that based on past statements would acknowledge that she would have a very difficult time handling the pressure UConn players are put under.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
.....but how on earth do you only get to two FFs with Griner? And Sims only went to one!

sarals24,
that almost not fair. 1) Mulkey did win a NCAA championship without Griner. 2) Muffett at ND went almost entire decade (2002-2011) without a final four apperance and was named Coach of the year last year. Mulkey IMO is among the best in the business

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder if any of the other schools run their programs like this or if they even need to? Did Baylor run theirs like that when Griner was there or was it just a case of Baylor simply having the best player in the country at that time?

I'm reading John Wooden's book "They Call Me Coach" right now. He goes in depth into his coaching philosophy and doesn't mention any tactics like these. The player were just required to be in better shape than their opponents.

Striper,
Much like parenting techniques we probably need to realize that coaching techniques also change rapidly. For example I’m not so sure one of the techniques mentioned in the article would fly today. Maya and upper classmen essentially kicked out Freshmen from UCONN locker room and made them dress in less than ideal place. I believe Kiah Stokes was among those freshmen kicked out of the nice locker room. With social media today hazing and bullying would be in every explanation about that situation. Wooden & Geno’s principles are enduring-you have to have your upperclassmen exhibit leadership. The techniques will and should always have more scrutiny.

Reaction Score
Maya and upper classmen essentially kicked out Freshmen from UCONN locker room and made them dress in less than ideal place. I believe Kiah Stokes was among those freshmen kicked out of the nice locker room.

Kiah Stokes wasn't at UCONN yet when Maya was a senior and Hartley, Dolson, etc. were freshmen.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Striper,
Much like parenting techniques we probably need to realize that coaching techniques also change rapidly. For example I’m not so sure one of the techniques mentioned in the article would fly today. Maya and upper classmen essentially kicked out Freshmen from UCONN locker room and made them dress in less than ideal place. I believe Kiah Stokes was among those freshmen kicked out of the nice locker room. With social media today hazing and bullying would be in every explanation about that situation. Wooden & Geno’s principles are enduring-you have to have your upperclassmen exhibit leadership. The techniques will and should always have more scrutiny.
No, that was pre-Kiah, but it does kind of hit a raw nerve about the borderline about what's acceptable, and I'm sure a lot of UConn upperclassmen could have found an excuse to do that to a "lazy" bunch of freshmen. And I thought Geno said last year that he had never had a problem with Stef's work ethic? Lauren and Michala transferred from the class, Bria and Stef stayed to the end.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes wasn't at UCONN yet when Maya was a senior and Hartley, Dolson, etc. were freshmen.
You are correct. My mistake. The Freshmen on the team would have been Dolson, Hartley, Engeln and Johnson. Duh- the article was quoting Engeln.

Reaction Score
You are correct. My mistake. The Freshmen on the team would have been Dolson, Hartley, Engeln and Johnson. Duh- the article was quoting Engeln.

and Samarie walker... 3 of the 5 transferred.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
and Samarie walker... 3 of the 5 transferred.
Ah, that's right. Because she transferred during her freshman year, Walker is not on the archived roster, as will be the case with Edwards.

Reaction Score

More's the pity. Even a freshman Kiah Stokes might have changed the outcome of that season. It was the end of the road against ND after Dolson was mostly neutralized by fouls, and Geno only had Lorin Dixon on the list of trustable subs. A strong defensive post presence might have put a damper on ND's offense in that half.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Does Geno get very talented players, some of the truly elite? Absolutely.
Does he make them even better players? Absolutely.

If you really want to see how great of a coach Geno is, look to players who either were not ranked in the top ten or who were ranked in the top 25 in a weaker high school class, in terms of talent and depth (e.g., 2005). Think about players like Jessica Moore and Kalana Greene.

Moore was ranked 43rd by Blue Star coming out of high school. She was in the elite high school class of 2000/college class of 2004. Yet she played NINE seasons in the WNBA.

Look at the list of players below, many of whom had incredible college careers. How many of them have played in the WNBA nearly as long as Jessica?
  1. Ashley Robinson
  2. Diana Taurasi
  3. Ebony Hoffman
  4. Cherisse Graham
  5. Nicole Powell
  6. Iciss Tillis
  7. Chandi Jones
  8. Ebony Felder
  9. Shereka Wright
  10. Aminata Yanni
  11. Monique Coker
  12. Tasha Butts
  13. Anne O'Neil

Remember, Moore was ranked 43rd on this list. But because of the development under Geno Auriemma, she has had a much longer career than most of the names on this list.

Kalana Greene was a top 20/25 player in the Class of 2005, generally regarded as not particularly deep or as talented as many in the last decade. She was part of the 2010 WNBA draft. If you look at her fellow draftees from 2009 (which would have been her high school class), no one in the second or third rounds is still in the WNBA...and there are a few first round picks who no longer are. If you look at 2010, when she was drafted, only five players in the first round still remain in the league. Kalana is the only non-first round selection from 2009 and 2010 still in the WNBA after five years.

Moore and Greene were talented, but they were not as naturally gifted as many other players among their contemporaries. Yet they have had much longer and more successful professional careers. The reasons for this were expertly highlighted in Kate Fagan's piece - hard work, intensity, swagger, mental toughness, etc. And that all starts from Geno Auriemma.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does Geno get very talented players, some of the truly elite? Absolutely.
Does he make them even better players? Absolutely.

If you really want to see how great of a coach Geno is, look to players who either were not ranked in the top ten or who were ranked in the top 25 in a weaker high school class, in terms of talent and depth (e.g., 2005). Think about players like Jessica Moore and Kalana Greene.

Moore was ranked 43rd by Blue Star coming out of high school. She was in the elite high school class of 2000/college class of 2004. Yet she played NINE seasons in the WNBA.

Look at the list of players below, many of whom had incredible college careers. How many of them have played in the WNBA nearly as long as Jessica?
  1. Ashley Robinson
  2. Diana Taurasi
  3. Ebony Hoffman
  4. Cherisse Graham
  5. Nicole Powell
  6. Iciss Tillis
  7. Chandi Jones
  8. Ebony Felder
  9. Shereka Wright
  10. Aminata Yanni
  11. Monique Coker
  12. Tasha Butts
  13. Anne O'Neil

Remember, Moore was ranked 43rd on this list. But because of the development under Geno Auriemma, she has had a much longer career than most of the names on this list.

Kalana Greene was a top 20/25 player in the Class of 2005, generally regarded as not particularly deep or as talented as many in the last decade. She was part of the 2010 WNBA draft. If you look at her fellow draftees from 2009 (which would have been her high school class), no one in the second or third rounds is still in the WNBA...and there are a few first round picks who no longer are. If you look at 2010, when she was drafted, only five players in the first round still remain in the league. Kalana is the only non-first round selection from 2009 and 2010 still in the WNBA after five years.

Moore and Greene were talented, but they were not as naturally gifted as many other players among their contemporaries. Yet they have had much longer and more successful professional careers. The reasons for this were expertly highlighted in Kate Fagan's piece - hard work, intensity, swagger, mental toughness, etc. And that all starts from Geno Auriemma.
You recruiting for us now?

:D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the Huskies loss does nothing for the soft image of the PAC.

Reaction Score
Samarie wanted out in OCTOBER stayed to Jan. Mickayla was anxious to play with sister and was oft-injured . Englen was highly touted but could not cut it, and left BC's team also.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I tried to read the article as if I was a Recruit considering UConn. After reading it, I'm not sure I would want to attend UConn. Primarily because of the fist fight with a teammate and then being relegated to a different locker room because teammates thought I wasn't working hard enough. If I'm playing basketball because I enjoy playing it and using it to get a scholarship, then I don't come to UConn. Now if basketball is my life, then I'm open to consider UConn, but still wondering can I make it there. This article probably portrayed an accurate picture of what it takes to play at UConn, but really didn't highlight the advantages a player gets by going to UConn. IMHO it has to be more then Championships and that's really not addressed.

It's funny. I didn't find it a complimentary article and didn't enjoy it. I thought it focused on the negatives, without any compensating balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom