UConn Student Athlete Covid Testing Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Student Athlete Covid Testing Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I find it laughable that some folks believe they have the absolute answers to such a complex problem. It's the height of naivety and arrogance.

Personally, I don't find this virus particularly concerning, but I certainly understand why it's a major health concern for many and why it needs to be managed as a major public health issue.

One thing for sure, a crisis like this shines a bright light on where leadership is strong and where leadership is lacking. I have seen many instances of both.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The decisions to terminate a small group of readily tested athletes from practicing/competing against other readily tested athletes has a totally different set of risks/costs.
Colorado State has shown that testing results and the real results may be 2 different things. Some of the schools are bent on having football this fall. I wouldn't trust their "testing". I honestly don't trust any school in any conference still planning on playing.

Reaction Score
If there is a legal higher risk activity than football, I'm all ears. It goes against all we know about slowing the spread - social distancing, not congregating in groups etc. And for that clown Chief, the point isn't only that 18-22 year olds don't suffer from this, they do and at a lower rate which is where your simpleton argument begins and ends.

The point is that these 18-22 years olds will congregate with other and could/most likely will be positive and asymptomatic and spread it to their coaches, professors and others who are in ages that this virus hits disproportionately. There is a greater good concept you cannot conceive since you have no humanity.

Reaction Score
You keep forgetting the real reason football has been cancelled....LIABILITY. The schools that arent playing have decided they can't reconcile their own state health best practice guidelines for COVid with the operational needs to run a competitive football team (yeah we could play this fall, but we might have games where the walks on have 10 starting position because of COVid outbreaks).
No doubt, Lloyd's of London is not walking in the door. Nor will the 2019 SC Gatorade QB and potential Georgia State starter practice or play this fall. Unfortunately, the 18 year old announced today he is recovering from a SARS-2 related heart condition. (unstated in linked article, yet potentially myocarditis).

Inconveniently, the impact of SARS-2, resulting COVID-19 symptoms, duration, and possible long hauler results are not cookie cutter-specific for all people; be they 18-22, 23-39, 40-59, or 60+. Similarly, the sensitivity-accuracy, specificity-accuracy, and results-turnaround times of all SARS-2 diagnostic and antibody tests are not created equally.

C

Chief00

No doubt, Lloyd's of London is not walking in the door. Nor will the 2019 SC Gatorade QB and potential Georgia State starter practice or play this fall. Unfortunately, the 18 year old announced today he is recovering from a SARS-2 related heart condition. (unstated in linked article, yet potentially myocarditis).

Inconveniently, the impact of SARS-2, resulting COVID-19 symptoms, duration, and possible long hauler results are not cookie cutter-specific for all people; be they 18-22, 23-39, 40-59, or 60+. Similarly, the sensitivity-accuracy, specificity-accuracy, and results-turnaround times of all SARS-2 diagnostic and antibody tests are not created equally.
The deaths are what the data shows. Speculating on unstated meaning of an antidotial article is not looking at public health risk across the population.

C

Chief00

Do you know this because you are attending classes or just making broad generalizations/guesses??

Asking for a friend
The students Chief talked to, per their experience last semester.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom