UConn stats...where will the assists come from..? | The Boneyard

UConn stats...where will the assists come from..?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
huskies.jpg

Kia, Gabby, and Z have graduated and between them, UConn lost 362 total assists..!! Certainly, this year's team is doomed. Those 3 players had 43% of the team's dimes last season. How will the Huskies make up for all those assists? Well, before giving up and conceding the season, let's examine recent history.

1. Since 2010, the following players with over 100 assists have graduated. (Each is listed with their best assist total.)
Maya (151 assists), Kelly Faris (165), Tif Hayes (139), Bria Hartley (173), Stef Dolson (135), KML (104), Stewie (147), MoJeff (204), Morgan Tuck (115), Saniya Chong(140), Kia (128) and Gabby (191).

2. Now here is UConn's assist total each season since 2010:
2010-11 738 assists
2011-12 710 assists
2012-13 798 assists
2013-14 850 assists
2014-15 828 assists
2015-16 821 assists
2016-17 863 assists
2017-18 843 assists

Conclusion - Geno recruits players who can score AND pass.
Every year, some graduate, yet the Huskies seem to survive and in fact, thrive passing the ball. This year will be no different. Crystal was 2nd best on the team in assists (142), Katie Lou was 3rd (123) and Napheesa was 4th (122). That group, along with Megan, Christyn, Kyla, ONO, etc... will find a way to 800+ assists. The Huskies always do..! :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Interesting stuff! I’d find it hard to believe that our Geno would put a team on the floor that was short on assists.

Reaction Score
Awhile back I read a quote from Chris Dailey in which the interviewer was surprised at the passing ability of one of the players, probably Dolson. Chris said, "We don't recruit players who can't pass."
And I would imagine that could be expanded upon with the words... "can't, or won't, pass." UConn plays TEAM Basketball, which means, make the extra pass to a team mate who is "more open" than you. I trust the system and our Team.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And we will not know the answer to the question until the team starts practices. We have no idea, outside of Lou, Pheesa and Crystal Dangerfield, who will start. We have no idea who the 6th, 7th and 8th player off the bench will be. All we have right now is speculation.

The assists will come from the team chemistry that develops. And I'm going to say that the chemistry may take a little longer this season than in the past.

Reaction Score
View attachment 32109

Kia, Gabby, and Z have graduated and between them, UConn lost 362 total assists..!! Certainly, this year's team is doomed. Those 3 players had 43% of the team's dimes last season. How will the Huskies make up for all those assists? Well, before giving up and conceding the season, let's examine recent history.

1. Since 2010, the following players with over 100 assists have graduated. (Each is listed with their best assist total.)
Maya (151 assists), Kelly Faris (165), Tif Hayes (139), Bria Hartley (173), Stef Dolson (135), KML (104), Stewie (147), MoJeff (204), Morgan Tuck (115), Saniya Chong(140), Kia (128) and Gabby (191).

2. Now here is UConn's assist total each season since 2010:
2010-11 738 assists
2011-12 710 assists
2012-13 798 assists
2013-14 850 assists
2014-15 828 assists
2015-16 821 assists
2016-17 863 assists
2017-18 843 assists

Conclusion - Geno recruits players who can score AND pass.
Every year, some graduate, yet the Huskies seem to survive and in fact, thrive passing the ball. This year will be no different. Crystal was 2nd best on the team in assists (142), Katie Lou was 3rd (123) and Napheesa was 4th (122). That group, along with Megan, Christyn, Kyla, ONO, etc... will find a way to 800+ assists. The Huskies always do..! :cool:

Go Huskies..!!
Love that picture! How did that one little guy photobomb himself into the middle of a pack of Huskies?

It just came to me, he must be the coach! We could name him Chino or Nino.

Reaction Score
I believe that the assists will come once the various pieces of the team become accustomed to playing with eachother and get accustomed to the offense. That can be taught. I believe that where will the rebounds come from and where will the interior defense come from is an even more critical problem. Because you can’t teach 6’6” or 6’7”.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe that the assists will come once the various pieces of the team become accustomed to playing with eachother and get accustomed to the offense. That can be taught. I believe that where will the rebounds come from and where will the interior defense come from is an even more critical problem. Because you can’t teach 6’6” or 6’7”.
I generally agree. Size is certainly a critical element in rebounding, and, as you indicate, you can’t teach size.

But there’s another element in rebounding, and that’s effort. How else do you explain Gabby being one of the best rebounders in the nation. OK, she had great hops, but effort was certainly a big part of her success on the boards.

Lou, Pheesa, MW and everyone else will need to crash the boards with abandon all season long. It is also my hope that Touly & ONO, who both possess big time rebounding potential, are major contributors this year. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Interesting thread talking about assists and then rebounding.
Obviously as many of you have said so well, teamwork and effort are two of the staples of the success of the program.
Assuming the big three stay relatively healthy I would expect CD to average 7-10 assists per game; KLS 5-8; Pheesa 3-5. Averaging each out and assuming 35 games (just an estimate not a prediction), that's already 665. Surely the remaining players will put together 3.5 a game making a minimum of 800 or more.
I see two factors here that will impact the assists totals. I think the above top three players will play more meaningful minutes per game because they will be needed to. You can't get assists sitting on the bench watching 30 point blowouts. The other issue that's a bit of a concern is the assists come after someone scores obviously. So somebody the other players are going to have to step up their abilities to put the ball in the basket. I think the prime candidates are CW & MW, with the remainder spread around game to game.
As to rebounding I think both Pheesa and KLS have to both make strong progress in this area and both should be able to do so. Ono, Batouly, MW and maybe surprisingly Kyla will have to box out and do their share.
I also think they might press full or three quarter court as the team has to utilize it's speed, quickness and ball movement and defense to create opportunities.
Glad to be able to be on and hopefully contributing more now that wife and I are back from truly amazing two week vacation on Lake Como and throughout the Swiss Alps.
Bronx23

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Because you can’t teach 6’6” or 6’7” or coordination and agility.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Because you can’t teach 6’6” or 6’7” or coordination and agility.

You also can't teach desire. Allow me to digress just for a moment. What is desire? The most recent example of "pure desire" was the performance of USC's Kendal Ellis, who closed a 30 yard gap during the anchor leg of the final event of the day, the 4x400 relay race to overtake the lead runner at the tape by a step, that helped her school win the national championship in Track & Field. The focus here is on the runner, not the school.

If you note the prolific rebounders that have passed through WCBB the last 25 years or so, one common trait they all had was desire. Rebounding was part of their "game". Unfortunately, some players completely dismiss the importance of rebounding, and it's bottom line effect on the outcome of a game (Remember what former LA Laker coach "Pat Riley" said about rebounds). Too many are only concerned about scoring and their personal numbers. Playing defense and rebounding take a backseat in their overall "game".

Napheesa Collier
and Gabby Williams are prolific rebounders, and a decent shot blockers, which is why they are such valuable assets. They play BOTH ends of the floor. Lest I remind you that it was Collier's block of Shakayla Thomas' last second buzzer beater attempt to preserve UConn's season opening road win over Florida State (11/14/16) 78-76.

Collier was an above average rebounder in high school. She's parlayed those skills into becoming a great rebounder at the next level. If you have to "think" about hitting the boards, you won't be an effective rebounder. Prolific rebounders go to the boards instinctively. It's a reflex. They don't think about doing it. Collier does it instinctively, and she does not shy away from contact.

She has consistently shown that she is not afraid to jump right in the middle of the paint to fight for contested rebounds or dive on the floor for loose balls, even if none of her teammates choose to join her. I noticed that her freshman year. Great rebounders have desire, timing and a nose for the ball. Her teammates have noticed this also. They have often referred to her as a "ball magnet". A moniker I heartily endorse. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You also can't teach desire. If you note the prolific rebounders that have passed through WCBB the last 25 years, one common trait they all had was desire. Rebounding was part of their "game". Napheesa Collier is a prolific rebounder.

She was an above average rebounder in high school. If you have to think about hitting the bords, you won't be an effective rebounder. Prolific rebounders go to the boards instinctively. They don't think about doing it. Collier does it instinctively, and she does not shy away from contact.
Well stated. As Geno has pointed out, “Some players get rebounds when the ball bounces to them. Some players like Gabby and Pheesa go and get rebounds.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom