UConn stats....the 4 most important minutes vs DePaul... | The Boneyard

UConn stats....the 4 most important minutes vs DePaul...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Crystal DePaul.jpg

With four minutes to play against DePaul, UConn's lead was down to 6 points and DePaul had the ball. The Blue Demons had made 9 of their last 15 three-point shots. UConn had the opportunity to lose a game that seemed well in hand. Over the last 4 minutes, the Huskies reached deep and showed heart, guts and talent. Consider the highlights over those 4 minutes.

1. DePaul missed a shot, UConn got the rebound.
2. Crystal made a shot jumper in the lane.
3. Christyn got a steal and made a lay-up.
4. DePaul missed a shot that Olivia blocked.
5. DePaul missed a shot and UConn got the rebound.
6. DePaul missed a three and UConn got the rebound.
7. Anna blocked a break away lay-up and DePaul converted 2 free throws.
8. UConn broke the press and Liv got a lay-up.
9. DePaul missed another three.
10. Crystal got a steal and the game ended.

Overall, DePaul went 0-6 with 4 missed threes. They also had two shots blocked and two turnovers. They totaled 2 points and UConn finished with a 10 point win. DePaul was undefeated at home and sporting 9-1 record. They finished 11-32 from three range or 34.4%. UConn actually bested DePaul from beyond the arc, going 8-20 or 40%. But it was the last 4 minutes that showed the Huskies have heart, guts and talent.

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
True. But DePaul completely outplayed UConn for the second half except the last 4 minutes. Still confused and mystified by the 2 halves. Geno was saying something to the effect it's impossible to duplicate the first half because DePaul is a great team etc...and UConn became more complacent...

Reaction Score
Yes, the Ladies played great down the stretch, a lot of the threes that DePaul was hitting were jacked up with a hand in the face, not much you can do but try to tighten up. It's difficult to get that top gear back once you have let up in a game, and with a 26 point lead, both the coach and the team let up. I was waiting for Geno to call a time out when the lead got to around 12 and he didn't, may be that he wanted to see how they would react to the adversity. Either way, to close score allowed for some great efforts (some by Liv) in that last few minutes. It was fun and I'm not worried.

Reaction Score
I think it was fatigue which happens with a short bench...and is probably why the no championships the last 3 seasons..

Reaction Score
True. But DePaul completely outplayed UConn for the second half except the last 4 minutes. Still confused and mystified by the 2 halves. Geno was saying something to the effect it's impossible to duplicate the first half because DePaul is a great team etc...and UConn became more complacent...
Another perspective. UConn played exactly the same system and players (i.e. Kyla started even through lead was extended when she sat) in the 2nd half. Seems obvious since this system got a 26 point lead. Bruno is a good coach and made several changes that Geno didn't quickly respond to. DePaul also must have said multiple prayers since it seemed everything they put up from 3 went in. Geno got the win but we saw what a good coach can do if you take him for granted.

Reaction Score
After Megan, Crystal, Christen, Liv and Anna, you can only get so much out of everyone else. Aubrey is showing she is very much a freshman, often out of sync with team, Kyla’s contribution is limited, Molly’s more so and Evelyn might have to start buying a ticket to see the games. That all changes next year when UConn will enjoy having several 6th womans off the bench, as Stanford has today, though I don’t think they should be No. 1. Losing Westbrook for the year probably cost us NC and possibly a FF.

Reaction Score
Another perspective. UConn played exactly the same system and players (i.e. Kyla started even through lead was extended when she sat) in the 2nd half. Seems obvious since this system got a 26 point lead. Bruno is a good coach and made several changes that Geno didn't quickly respond to. DePaul also must have said multiple prayers since it seemed everything they put up from 3 went in. Geno got the win but we saw what a good coach can do if you take him for granted.
Anna needs to start in place of Kyla and probably will now that her individual game is improving, (not starting is part of Geno’s Message service) not that it was ever truly all that bad, but the team jells when she’s on the floor and everyone plays better. You see it in the nods Crystal gives her on the floor.

Reaction Score
The DePaul announcers even credited the Huskies with never losing their composure. I think we played well the entire game, our opponents have to be allowed to score sometimes. The BlueDevils just concentrated their makes in the second half.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very sloppy game with us throwing the ball away, left and right.
Very slow on defense, we have to slack off the three , otherwise they can go right by us.
Overall, good win on the road, with stuff to work on.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this post DavidinNaples, Love it!
They had it in them those last four minutes!!
We yell at the TV in excitement! Hooray for
really pulling it together! Anyone else note that during the game Anna was open A lot?
Just curious......

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I think it was fatigue which happens with a short bench...and is probably why the no championships the last 3 seasons..
What is a long bench, 2, 3, 4? Outscored ND from the floor at the end of games both losses. Last year ND had 8 more FTs in last quarter, in 2018 ND had 6 more FTs in OT.

Reaction Score
Their subs played less time than ours. Maybe we’re just fat and out-of-shape?

Reaction Score
DePaul only played seven players, as does almost every elite team. When UConn won four straight, they also had short benches. IMO, this is a theory not backed up by any evidence.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
DePaul only played seven players, as does almost every elite team. When UConn won four straight, they also had short benches. IMO, this is a theory not backed up by any evidence.

But in the game before (against a cupcake), DePaul played all 14 players with significant minutes. Probably with an eye to having the kids rested prior to UConn. That is a nice luxury but I suppose in the DePaul 3pt chuck system, even bench players could function in contrast to our more complex read / react system which requires continuity and togetherness

Reaction Score
Geno was right, as usual, about the DePaul being a very very good team. Especially from the 3 and also show terrific defense in the second half. Depaul has 14 players Uconn 7, 2 of which are frosh, 2 soph, 1 Jr, 2 Seniors (one without much previous years PT. 6th game of the season. The team is learning from many perspectives including Chemistry. It's coming. Thanks @DavidinNaples I always enjoy your analysis's

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you read Geno's comments, surprisingly, he was reasonably pleased with the Defense in the second half but disappointed in the offense.

Reaction Score
Anna needs to start in place of Kyla and probably will now that her individual game is improving, (not starting is part of Geno’s Message service) not that it was ever truly all that bad, but the team jells when she’s on the floor and everyone plays better. You see it in the nods Crystal gives her on the floor.
That will happen if Kyla does her usual; take an early shot and have a really good game ( if she hits it ) and stop shooting if she misses. She still helps out, but I see a potential in Ania that is far higher. She will be really effective when the game slows for her and her shooting becomes more proficient. Aubrey has an even higher ceiling, but is farther away from reaching it. The freshman thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom