UConn stats...Only 1 team left has ever beat Geno..! | The Boneyard

UConn stats...Only 1 team left has ever beat Geno..!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Geno's perfection.jpeg

UConn plays four more games in December before the Holiday break. Those teams, DePaul, Oklahoma, Duquesne, and Memphis are a combined lifetime 0-33 against Geno's Huskies. That's right, not a single victory ever against Geno and his Huskies. :)

In January, Geno and the team play nine more games, against East Carolina, USF, UCF, Houston, Texas, Tulsa, Temple, Memphis (again) and Tulane. Of that group, Texas looks like quite a challenge. What is Geno's record against Texas? You guessed it, 9-0. How about the rest of the group? Well, 73-0. :rolleyes:

What about South Carolina in February? Geno is 5-0 against the Gamecocks. In fact, the only team left of the 22 games still to play, with a victory over Geno, is Louisville. Yes, the team with the coach who wears an Italian tablecloth for a shirt is 1-15 against Geno.

Obviously, previous performance means absolutely nothing when the Huskies play these remaining games. Still, you have to wonder if Geno isn't in the head of some of these other coaches when they meet... :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Full disclosure, I don't think Wichita State has ever played UConn. So, Geno and the Huskies have never beaten them. ;)

Reaction Score
Wow! what would we do without your fine-grained analyses, David? Thanks!

Geno with a tie? must be a national championship game...at least it's loosened at the collar...wouldn't want him looking neat and tidy....

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Wow! what would we do without your fine-grained analyses, David? Thanks!

Geno with a tie? must be a national championship game...at least it's loosened at the collar...wouldn't want him looking neat and tidy....

I liked it better when Geno wore a tie. The timing and degree of loosening done to the tie was a good indicator of his satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the team's performance. It was nice having that barometer. Plus, he has great taste in ties.

Reaction Score
I've seen Coach Walz (?) a couple of times this year and he hasn't been wearing the tablecloth check but a single color Louisville dark shade.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
When did Louisville beat UConn? I don't think that it was while Jeff Walz was coaching them. It might have been back in the 1990's, before Geno was really Geno, and UConn was really UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When did Louisville beat UConn? I don't think that it was while Jeff Walz was coaching them. It might have been back in the 1990's, before Geno was really Geno, and UConn was really UConn.
Louisville's lone win was in 1993 - not sure if Jeff was out of short pants at that time!

That game is rather significant as on 3/7/1993 Uconn lost in the BE tournament to Providence, and ten days later they lost to Louisville on 3/17/1993 in the NCAA first round. That two game losing streak is the last time they lost back to back games. It is also their last first round exit from the NCAAs and their last first weekend exit from the NCAAs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Louisville's lone win was in 1993 - not sure if Jeff was out of short pants at that time!

That game is rather significant as on 3/7/1993 Uconn lost in the BE tournament to Providence, and ten days later they lost to Louisville on 3/17/1993 in the NCAA first round. That two game losing streak is the last time they lost back to back games. It is also their last first round exit from the NCAAs and their last first weekend exit from the NCAAs.
Just a note - if they had not lost one of those two games it would not appreciably change the streak of games without two losses in a row - they had lost three in a row from 2/20/93 - 2/27/93 so they were limping to the end of the year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Your post got me to thinking about Louisville, and their conference, the ACC, comprised of: Louisville, Syracuse, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Clemson, NC State, North Carolina, Duke, Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Wake Forest and Virginia.

I thought for just a moment how much more interesting and exciting their conference play would be if UConn was in the ACC. Match-ups against some of these schools would be more of a challenge and a welcomed change (for me) than against any team in the AAC, except ranked USF. Sixteen schools. Too many to play all of them twice. They would have to use the same format now being employed by the AAC.

It's hard to get excited about playing Cincinnati, Houston or any other "mid-major" AAC team that has yet to score a victory over UConn. That game against Notre Dame was exciting because there for a while, it looked like UConn was going to lose. When was the last time UConn was down double digits in the 4th quarter to anybody?

Games against Florida State, Notre Dame (twice) and Duke would give us plenty to talk and pontificate about before and after each game; each one being a possible challenge. Geno would not have to front load his OOC schedule with so many ranked opponents, and the travel distance to other conference team's campus would be much shorter (benefiting the girls) and less costly.

It will probably never happen, but it's nice to think what could be. Like it or not, in women's basketball, the AAC is perceived by others in division one to be a conference comprised of "mid-majors" with the exception of UConn. I completely understand that the women's basketball team's possibilities of moving to a P5 conference in the future lie solely with its football team, and right now, they aren't very attractive. Sometimes being in the AAC is like having a brand new "Super-Turbo" Ferrari capable of doing 200 mph on the autobahn, but it has a governor on it. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'd take the ACC but I think UCONN is a better fit in the B1G Conference!
Then again I'd even take the BIG 12!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Uconn is stuck in AAC because of football.
UConn is stuck in the AAC because it has aspirations of rejoining the P5. Probably because the failure to do so will render it irrelevant college athletics.

Think that is an overstatement? The P5 is where the money is. No money and our athletics program will contract. There will be less televised games. Nike will be less interested in us. Our IMG contract will shrink. That means that we won't be able to afford a to pay top in the sport money to the next WBB coach (and MBB coach, and of course football will be shut down.)

Whether we like it or not, football is the key to the P5 and the P5 is the key our survival as a relevant college athletic department.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Your post got me to thinking about Louisville, and their conference, the ACC, comprised of: Louisville, Syracuse, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Clemson, NC State, North Carolina, Duke, Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Wake Forest and Virginia.

I thought for just a moment how much more interesting and exciting their conference play would be if UConn was in the ACC. Match-ups against some of these schools would be more of a challenge and a welcomed change (for me) than against any team in the AAC, except ranked USF. Sixteen schools. Too many to play all of them twice. They would have to use the same format now being employed by the AAC.

It's hard to get excited about playing Cincinnati, Houston or any other "mid-major" AAC team that has yet to score a victory over UConn. But games against Florida State, Notre Dame (twice) and Duke would give us plenty to talk or pontificate about before and after each game; each one being a possible challenge. Geno would not have to front load his OOC schedule with so many ranked opponents, and the travel distance to other conference teams would be much shorter and less costly. It will probably never happen, but it's nice to think what could be. Sometimes being in the AAC is like have a new Ferrari on the autobahn, but with a governor on it. :confused:

upload_2017-12-8_9-55-51.png

Reaction Score
UConn is stuck in the AAC because it has aspirations of rejoining the P5. Probably because the failure to do so will render it irrelevant college athletics.

Think that is an overstatement? The P5 is where the money is. No money and our athletics program will contract. There will be less televised games. Nike will be less interested in us. Our IMG contract will shrink. That means that we won't be able to afford a to pay top in the sport money to the next WBB coach (and MBB coach, and of course football will be shut down.)

Whether we like it or not, football is the key to the P5 and the P5 is the key our survival as a relevant college athletic department.
P5 was established because the NCAA didnt want to loss the 5 Major Football Conferences. They wanted to break from the NCAA. Uconn Football is awful and right now very desperate! Of all the football coaches in Div.1 and Uconn hires a man who pretty much snuck out the back door the first time he was here and screwed them over!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
View attachment 26761

UConn plays four more games in December before the Holiday break. Those teams, DePaul, Oklahoma, Duquesne, and Memphis are a combined lifetime 0-33 against Geno's Huskies. That's right, not a single victory ever against Geno and his Huskies. :)

In January, Geno and the team play nine more games, against East Carolina, USF, UCF, Houston, Texas, Tulsa, Temple, Memphis (again) and Tulane. Of that group, Texas looks like quite a challenge. What is Geno's record against Texas? You guessed it, 9-0. How about the rest of the group? Well, 73-0. :rolleyes:

What about South Carolina in February? Geno is 5-0 against the Gamecocks. In fact, the only team left of the 22 games still to play, with a victory over Geno, is Louisville. Yes, the team with the coach who wears an Italian tablecloth for a shirt is 1-15 against Geno.

Obviously, previous performance means absolutely nothing when the Huskies play these remaining games. Still, you have to wonder if Geno isn't in the head of some of these other coaches when they meet... :cool:

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Full disclosure, I don't think Wichita State has ever played UConn. So, Geno and the Huskies have never beaten them. ;)

Well, not that it counts as a win over UConn, but USF did TIE @Uconn in regulation in 2004. That's probably as close as anybody else did on your list, with the exception of UL.

I happened to rewatch that complete game on YouTube the other day and found it quite compelling, at least up until OT when we were shut out. No excuse, but we did have three players foul out, including our star Jessica Dixon.

So at least our coach has that "close" loss to fall back on to relate to our team each year and, perhaps, that is why we generally play better against UConn than many other teams who never ever came close to winning.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Uconn is stuck in AAC because of football.
I don't believe this is true. Lots of Power 5 schools have bad football programs.

If football were the ticket into a power conference, Boise State would not be in the Mountain West.

Last edited:

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
I don't believe this is true. Lots of Power 5 teams have bad football programs.

If football were the ticket into a power conference, Boise State would not be in the Mountain West.

Wasn't it BC who prevented you from joining the ACC?

USF has a decent football program, but FSU and Miami would never let us join the ACC.

A lot of it is is just political.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wasn't it BC who prevented you from joining the ACC?

USF has a decent football program, but FSU and Miami would never let us join the ACC.

A lot of it is is just political.
Exactly. USF has had a strong football program for quite a few years now. Has it brought them any closer to a power conference? Doubtful.

Reaction Score
I don't believe this is true. Lots of Power 5 teams have bad football programs.

And those bad football programs make a lot more money than Uconn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
P5 was established because the NCAA didnt want to loss the 5 Major Football Conferences. They wanted to break from the NCAA. Uconn Football is awful and right now very desperate! Of all the football coaches in Div.1 and Uconn hires a man who pretty much snuck out the back door the first time he was here and screwed them over!
Not so much. It was a moniker adopted to justify the disenfranchising of the Big East. Prior to that pretty much the same group of institutions, were the BCS schools.

You are right though that those schools gave an edict to the NCAA about the 'autonomy' that they wanted and the NCAA said "yes, sir." The big time football schools is where the power currently resides in college sports. If UConn wants to remain relevant, they need to play to football.

Regarding Randy Edsall, he was a brilliant choice by the Athletic Director. Randy Edsall is paid 'only' a million dollars, a lot of money but relatively inexpensive by coaching standards. That allowed UConn to afford the buyout of the Bob "Red Pants" Diaco, who decimated the football program. It was a coup to bring an experienced competent coach for a 'bargain' price. I doubt Edsall would have left the NFL for any other program. The rebuild of the football program after two bad coaches will take some time, but progress was made this season and our offense had dramatic improvement.

College sports teams don't exist in a vacuum. There is an ever widening gap between the haves and the have nots. If you value sports at UConn, you should be rooting for UConn to find a P5 home.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Didn't UConn tick somebody off before the BIG East breakup, and they went subsequently went out of their way to write letters, and made phone calls, etc, to make sure the Huskies did not get into the ACC or SEC, which I believe if I remember reading a post here in the yard correctly, would have accepted UConn into the league at that time? I did not follow UConn, nor was I a BY regular when the B.E. broke up. I'm not familiar with all of the details, politics and particulars like those of you that were.

Reaction Score
Careful... Tulane gave us a serious scare last season. They almost did what Miss. State is famous for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom