UConn stats...good, bad & ugly from 1st two games... | The Boneyard

UConn stats...good, bad & ugly from 1st two games...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
LOWELL5_2.jpg

Much to the relief of the Boneyard, UConn is two games into the 2020-21 season. Those two games have given fans highlights and lowlights. Here are some of the good, bad and ugly stats:

The Good.
1. Paige Beuckers has scored 42 total points and is shooting 76% from the field (19-25).
2. Opponents, on the other hand, are shooting 25% from the field (31-124) and have coughed up 25 turnovers.
3. Fellow freshman Aaliyah Edwards is actually ahead of Paige in shooting, going 11 for 14 or 78.6% from the field.
4. UConn's 171 points gives the Huskies a 85.5 point average per game. Last season they averaged 78.7 per game.
5. The five freshman have scored 83 of UConn's 171 points. That's 48.5% of the team's total.
6. Olivia has 4 blocks already and is just 5 away from 10th place all-time at UConn.

The Bad.
1. The Huskies have missed 9 free throws and made just 14. That is 61%.
2. Christyn is 2nd in scoring at 31 points, but is only 3-12 from three-point range.
3. Anna has taken 10 of her 11 shots from 3 range, but made only 3.
4. Paige and Aaliyah lead the team with 6 turnovers each. Edwards has 0 assists.

The Ugly.
1. UConn is 9-35 from beyond the arc, or 25.7%.
2. Total turnovers of 38 gives the Huskies a 19 per game average. Last season they had an average of 13.7 per game.
3. The Huskies 32 personal fouls have given opponents 26 free throw attempts. And they have made 77% of them.
4. Olivia has 6 of UConn's 9 missed free throws. She is hitting just 40% of her charity tries.

Overall, UConn is 2-0, the season is still open, everyone has seen action and there is another game Thursday night. Life is good and Paige is great..!

Go Huskies..!!

P.S. - Some strange stats...
1. Mir is averaging a point every minute on the court..! (thanks to SueBird10fan.)
2. Liv is the leading rebounder (19), Paige is 2nd (13).
3. Anna leads the Huskies in assists with 12. Paige is 3rd with 10. (Evina has 11)
4. The only player without a turnover is Piath Gabriel. (She has 1 assist)
5. Three freshman (Paige, Aaliyah, and Mir) have 36 baskets and are shooting 75% from the field. (36-48) The rest of the team has 38 baskets and are shooting only 44%.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. Great run down.

Team is only going to get better each game and each practice. It is a joy watching them now. Just think what it is going to look like with more reps in game like tempo. Can't wait!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was going to start a thread, but I think I'll piggy-back on David's work. I like to see a team that executes well and is efficient. That includes making free throws and layups. I recall that one of the great Stewie-Moriah-Tuck teams (2015 or 2016) led the nation in free throw percentage at exactly .800. When I look at some of our agonizing losses (Mississippi State, Notre Dame, etc.), I see missed opportunities that would have turned defeat into victory. Before the UMass-Lowell and Seton Hall games, I thought, "Just make FTs and make layups." I watched the replay of the Seton Hall game last night and took notes on the missed layups. Keeping in mind that not all of these were "official" misses, because of referee calls, here are some notes:

In chronological order:

1. Liv misses after a nice pass from Paige, but gets fouled. The contact was light enough that scoring was possible. Liv shoots 1-2 on FTs and scores only 1 of 3 potential points, despite no "official" miss on the layup.

2. Evina short-arms an open layup on a fast drive. Not a simple shot, but makeable. Hall gets the rebound. 2 more points lost and another assist lost for Paige.

3. Nika misses a fairly open layup, left-handed, I believe. Also not simple, but makeable. 2 more points lost.

4. Paige misses an uncharacteristically wild layup. Hall gets the ball. 2 more points lost.

5. Christyn misses a layup at high speed that just spins out. Hall grabs the rebound. 2 more points lost.

HALFTIME. It gets worse.

6. Liv misses a layup, but gets called for a travel, so no official miss. 2 points lost.

7. Liv misses on a nice pass from Evina, but gets fouled from moderate contact. No "official" miss. Liv shoots 1-2 on FTs and leaves 2 potential points off the scoreboard.

8. Christyn misses (airball?) on a wild spinner. She did a nice job to get open, but didn't come close to converting. Hall gets the rebound. 2 more points lost.

9. Aaliyah misses an open shot, but converts on the 2nd attempt. 0 points lost on this possession.

10. Christyn misses on an alley-oop from Paige. It would have been a highlight, but was just another miss. Tough shot, but 2 more points lost.

11. Aaliyah misses but gets fouled. She makes either one or both free throws. At least another point lost.

12. Evina misses on a pass from Paige. Another 2 points lost and another assist lost for Paige.

13. Aaliyah gets stuffed on an attempt and Hall gets the ball. 2 points lost.

14. Aubrey makes a nice move, but is but of control and shoots what looks like an airball. 2 more points lost.

We lost about 25 potential points. Even if we had scored "only" 15 of those, we would have put up 107, the game would have looked crisper, and everyone would have felt better about it. I hope the team can convert more efficiently going forward.

Though I focused on the misses, the team definitely made a number of difficult layups, so kudos for that! Let's try to make more of them!

Edit: I did not include the play when Paige passed behind her back to Aubrey, who fumbled the ball out of bounds. Geno was unhappy, but I thought it was the right pass by Paige, because of where the ball was relative to the end line and where the defender was.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
View attachment 62548

Much to the relief of the Boneyard, UConn is two games into the 2020-21 season. Those two games have given fans highlights and lowlights. Here are some of the good, bad and ugly stats:

The Good.
1. Paige Beuckers has scored 42 total points and is shooting 76% from the field (19-25).
2. Opponents, on the other hand, are shooting 25% from the field (31-124) and have coughed up 25 turnovers.
3. Fellow freshman Aaliyah Edwards is actually ahead of Paige in shooting, going 11 for 14 or 78.6% from the field.
4. UConn's 171 points gives the Huskies a 85.5 point average per game. Last season they averaged 78.7 per game.
5. The five freshman have scored 83 of UConn's 171 points. That's 48.5% of the team's total.
6. Olivia has 4 blocks already and is just 5 away from 10th place all-time at UConn.

The Bad.
2. Christyn is 2nd in scoring at 31 points, but is only 3-12 from three-point range.
4. Paige and Aaliyah lead the team with 6 turnovers each. Edwards has 0 assists.

The Ugly.
2. Total turnovers of 38 gives the Huskies a 19 per game average. Last season they had an average of 13.7 per game.
3. The Huskies 32 personal fouls have given opponents 26 free throw attempts. And they have made 77% of them.
4. Olivia has 6 of UConn's 9 missed free throws. She is hitting just 40% of her charity tries.

Overall, UConn is 2-0, the season is still open, everyone has seen action and there is another game Thursday night. Life is good and Paige is great..!

Go Huskies..!!

1. Mir is averaging a point every minute on the court..! (thanks to SueBird10fan.)
3. Anna leads the Huskies in assists with 12. Paige is 3rd with 10. (Evina has 11)
5. Three freshman (Paige, Aaliyah, and Mir) are shooting 75% from the field. (36-48) The rest of the team is 38-87 or 44%.
Paige would have 10 more assists at a minimum if the players would make the easy shots or at least catch the ball when she tosses it to them.

Reaction Score
View attachment 62548

The Good.

The Bad.

The Ugly.

Go Huskies..!!

5. Three freshman (Paige, Aaliyah, and Mir) are shooting 75% from the field. (36-48) The rest of the team is 38-87 or 44%.
Thank you so much for adding some math to the conversation!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
While nobody likes the turnovers I can understand it. Between the number of Freshman and interruptions in practice time I'm not surprised or concerned about it. Geno talked about this even before the first game. I think he expected it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom