UConn stats...best 4th quarter ever..? | The Boneyard

UConn stats...best 4th quarter ever..?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UCOnn vs ND 2.jpeg

UConn entered the 4th quarter against Notre Dame down by 8 points. Within 26 seconds, the deficit was 11 points and the Huskies needed a miracle to pull out a win against the 2nd best team in the country. With two All Americans injured on the bench, it wasn't a miracle, but heart and effort that produced one of the finest 4th quarters of UConn basketball ever. Consider:

1. No substitutions - Geno played the best five he had left for the full 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. (Not counting the Katie Lou free throw sub with 15 seconds left. No time went off the clock.) No subs, no problem..! :cool:
2. No scoring for you - For the final 9:34 of the game, the Huskies outscored ND 26-6 and turned an 11 point deficit into a nine-point victory.
3. Cold, stone cold - The box score shows Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Shepard scored 21, 19 and 10 points respectively. But, 47 of those 50 points were before the 4th quarter. Only 3, all by Ogunbowale, came when it mattered most. Combined, those three were 1-10 in the final 10 minutes, with 3 turnovers and 4 fouls. Burrrrr...! ;)
4. No offensive rebounds - Notre Dame had 17 offensive rebounds for the whole game against the Huskies. Only 1 came in the 4th quarter and that was with 58 seconds left to play. Napheesa (4) and Megan (5) Walker had 9 combined defensive rebounds to limit the Irish to one and done for the whole 4th period.
5. Husky scoring - UConn scored 26 points in the 4th period without a basket from Katie Lou, Gabby or Napheesa..! :eek: No need, because they got 8 pts from Z, 7 from Kia and 2 each from Crystal and Megan. (Plus some free throws.)
6. Clutch free throws - Despite playing hard the whole game, the Huskies went 7-8 from the charity stripe in the final period. Azura was 2-2, Megan 1-2 and Pheesa a perfect 4-4 to put Notre Dame away.
7. Conditioning - Napheesa and Crystal played all 40 minutes of the game. Kia played 33, including virtually all the 2nd half. They dominated a tired ND squad. The camera showed Pheesa making 4 straight free throws during the last minute to play and she looked like she had just woken up from a nap. The result of the 4th quarter was all about conditioning. :)

Greatest 4th quarter ever..? Maybe, maybe not. Considering the opponent and the 11 point deficit, I'm putting it in the top 3. :D

Go Huskies..!!

HGN

Reaction Score
View attachment 26681

UConn entered the 4th quarter against Notre Dame down by 8 points. Within 26 seconds, the deficit was 11 points and the Huskies needed a miracle to pull out a win against the 2nd best team in the country. With two All Americans injured on the bench, it wasn't a miracle, but heart and effort that produced one of the finest 4th quarters of UConn basketball ever. Consider:

1. No substitutions - Geno played the best five he had left for the full 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. (Not counting the Katie Lou free throw sub with 15 seconds left. No time went off the clock.) No subs, no problem..! :cool:
2. No scoring for you - For the final 9:34 of the game, the Huskies outscored ND 26-6 and turned an 11 point deficit into a nine-point victory.
3. Cold, stone cold - The box score shows Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Shepard scored 21, 19 and 10 points respectively. But, 47 of those 50 points were before the 4th quarter. Only 3, all by Ogunbowale, came when it mattered most. Combined, those three were 1-10 in the final 10 minutes, with 3 turnovers and 4 fouls. Burrrrr...! ;)
4. No offensive rebounds - Notre Dame had 17 offensive rebounds for the whole game against the Huskies. Only 1 came in the 4th quarter and that was with 58 seconds left to play. Napheesa (4) and Megan (5) Walker had 9 combined defensive rebounds to limit the Irish to one and done for the whole 4th period.
5. Husky scoring - UConn scored 26 points in the 4th period without a basket from Katie Lou, Gabby or Napheesa..! :eek: No need, because they got 8 pts from Z, 7 from Kia and 2 each from Crystal and Megan. (Plus some free throws.)
6. Clutch free throws - Despite playing hard the whole game, the Huskies went 7-8 from the charity stripe in the final period. Azura was 2-2, Megan 1-2 and Pheesa a perfect 4-4 to put Notre Dame away.
7. Conditioning - Napheesa and Crystal played all 40 minutes of the game. Kia played 33, including virtually all the 2nd half. They dominated a tired ND squad. The camera showed Pheesa making 4 straight free throws during the last minute to play and she looked like she had just woken up from a nap. The result of the 4th quarter was all about conditioning. :)

Greatest 4th quarter ever..? Maybe, maybe not. Considering the opponent and the 11 point deficit, I'm putting it in the top 3. :D

Go Huskies..!!
The best 4th qtr in recent memory for sure. From a scoring , defense , and come back from a deficit, absolutely.

Reaction Score
They talk about how UConn got pounded on the glass; however, we held the edge in rebounds 41-39 thanks to a strong fourth quarter. I hope Katie Lou's ankle is okay, and as I said in a previous post, they have to figure out how Napheesa can't disappear on offense when Z's in the game.

Reaction Score
They talk about how UConn got pounded on the glass; however, we held the edge in rebounds 41-39 thanks to a strong fourth quarter. I hope Katie Lou's ankle is okay, and as I said in a previous post, they have to figure out how Napheesa can't disappear on offense when Z's in the game.
Pheesa DID NOT disappear. She was fouled twice hard which would have been two buckets without the fouls. - instead she got two buckets worth of points AND two more ND fouls.
Admittedly though (and Geno has said this too), when Z is on the court, it changes the spacing of EVERYBODY.

Reaction Score
1.It wasn't a miracle, but heart and effort that produced one of the finest 4th quarters of UConn basketball ever.
2. Napheesa (4) and Megan (5) Walker had 9 combined defensive rebounds to limit the Irish to one and done for the whole 4th period.
3. The result of the 4th quarter was all about conditioning.

Right Arm!

Reaction Score
View attachment 26681

Go Huskies..!!
Maybe the most exciting since we're usually 30 points ahead in the fourth quarter..

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
One additional noteworthy stat, while playing great defense UConn did not foul in the fourth until 37 seconds left and that was a semi- intentional non shooting foul by Crystal. Nurse picked up only other one with 15 seconds to go and that didn't matter, obviously.

Reaction Score
3. Cold, stone cold - The box score shows Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Shepard scored 21, 19 and 10 points respectively. But, 47 of those 50 points were before the 4th quarter. Only 3, all by Ogunbowale, came when it mattered most. Combined, those three were 1-10 in the final 10 minutes, with 3 turnovers and 4 fouls. Burrrrr...!

Thanks for highlighting the difference makers!
For me, the absence of scoring by the ND top three really stands out as the real big one. It amazes me how they just stopped as a group. It is hard for any team to win scoring in the single digits in the 4th quarter!

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Chris, I think part of the problem is getting Z to 'move' more as Geno stated. It's just a matter of getting Z to be more aware of
how to operate in the low-post with another (Napheesa) teammate. it's just something she's not use to.

Remember when Stephanie , Stokes , and Stewie would operate together in a game and never hinder the other? Pheesa and Z
have to get to that point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
View attachment 26681 The camera showed Pheesa making 4 straight free throws during the last minute to play and she looked like she had just woken up from a nap.
Great stuff as always David. I enjoy your posts and stats you put out there. But I LOVED your last sentence that I quoted above. The other thing I LOVED about Pheesa was her reaction when she snatched the ball away from Maybry (who should have gotten T'd up). She was holding onto the ball while the crowd went wild, smirking, and then started clapping. Had Maybry been near her, Pheesa would have clapped in her face. Angelic faces hiding stone cold killers! :D

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I can think of eleven fourth quarters that would rate ahead of this one...........................

Reaction Score
Look at Napheesa's stats when Z is in the game and when she's not in the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
DavidinNaples - Great post, thank you. The team will build off the this game for the rest of the year. EVERYBODY, including the bench players had their character and resolve tested yesterday. They ALL passed!!! :) Now they know what it takes to overcome adversity when it hits you right between the eyes, and doesn't blink or take a step back. This is a game you can re-watch over and over again, especially if you like happy endings. :p

During the their flight home, I'll bet the coaches and players could not help but wonder how they let that one get away. They had the game in their hand. All they had to do was close their fist. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom