UConn stats...a tale of 2 halves... | The Boneyard

UConn stats...a tale of 2 halves...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Geno & Crystal.jpeg

I understand it is difficult to enjoy a half of basketball when UConn gets outscored 39-29. It doesn't help when the play of the Huskies, in the two halves, was so different. Still, while much of the Stanford game was odd & weird statistically, there was much to lift the spirits of even the most pessimistic Husky fan.

Consider the odd & weird first:
1. The backcourt of Nurse and Dangerfield had 13 points in the 1st period. Crystal had them all.
2. Katie Lou did not even try a three point shot until mid 2nd period with UConn up by 16.
3. Kia had 40 points in two pre-season games and only 4 against Stanford.
4. Stanford went 5-31 or 16% shooting in the 1st half. They had 4 points total in the 2nd quarter. :eek:
5. For the game, UConn made 11 free throws and missed 7. That is 61% for the team. :rolleyes:
6. The UConn bench played 59 combined minutes, but only scored 10 pts. Z had 8, Walker 2.
7. The Huskies missed 8 of their last 9 shots in the last 4:41 of the game, including all 5 three point attempts.

Enough with the wierd stats. What went right. And, I mean really, really right..!;)
1. Crystal exploded for 24 points on 6-7 three point shooting. Sweet..!! :D
2. UConn had only 7 turnovers in the game, but created 22 from Stanford.
3. Gabby filled the stat sheet again w/ 11 pts, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 1 block. Her penetration on lay-ups looked unstoppable. :cool:
4. UConn was up by 35 points at the half & only gave up 14 points to #10 Stanford.
5. Defense blocked 6 shots and stole the ball 13 times. Stanford shot 32% for the game.
6. Katie Lou blocked a shot..!! :p
7. On a night when Kia made 0 threes, Napheesa had only 3 rebounds, Gabby had 0 offensive rebounds and the bench went 0-8 on threes, the Huskies won easily, leading by 30 with 2 minutes to play.

One game into the season, a new streak is born. One in a row. A good start, but plenty to work on.

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for one of the freshman to actually make a shot other than a layup (Walker). Even in the exhibitions I don't remember anyone other than Megan making an outside shot -- and her percentage was bad. As a matter of fact, I'm still waiting for Stevens to make a shot other than a layup.... I'm pretty sure she hasn't hit a 3 pt shot in all 3 games... and may not have hit a jump shot, either. Luckily, I remember how good she was at Duke, so I'm not really worried. The frosh are another story... :)

Having said all that, I LOVE our starting five!

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for one of the freshman to actually make a shot other than a layup (Walker). Even in the exhibitions I don't remember anyone other than Megan making an outside shot -- and her percentage was bad. As a matter of fact, I'm still waiting for Stevens to make a shot other than a layup.... I'm pretty sure she hasn't hit a 3 pt shot in all 3 games... and may not have hit a jump shot, either. Luckily, I remember how good she was at Duke, so I'm not really worried. The frosh are another story... :)

Having said all that, I LOVE our starting five!

Your memory is fairly accurate. ;) Azura is 0-10 from three including the two exhibition games, but 70% from inside the arc (19-27). Several were jumpers. However, against Ashland, Walker hit for 2 three point shots. She is 2-7 from three overall. and 6-14 from inside the arc. Baskets by the other freshman, in this game none, but in the two exhibitions, Kyla & Alexis had 1 each vs Ft. Hays and Alexis (1), Molly (1), Mikayla (1) and Andra (1) vs Ashland.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your memory is fairly accurate. ;) Azura is 0-10 from three including the two exhibition games, but 70% from inside the arc (19-27). Several were jumpers. However, against Ashland, Walker hit for 2 three point shots. She is 2-7 from three overall. and 6-14 from inside the arc. Baskets by the other freshman, in this game none, but in the two exhibitions, Kyla & Alexis had 1 each vs Ft. Hays and Alexis (1), Molly (1), Mikayla (1) and Andra (1) vs Ashland.
If memory serves, ALL the baskets by the Alexis, Molly, Mikayla and Andra were layups....(as were most of Megan's). Still waiting to see an actual jump shot fall or even a set shot... heaven forbid it will be a three pointer! lol Do you recall Azura hitting any jump shots? or have they all been around the basket?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 26149

I understand it is difficult to enjoy a half of basketball when UConn gets outscored 39-29. It doesn't help when the play of the Huskies, in the two halves, was so different. Still, while much of the Stanford game was odd & weird statistically, there was much to lift the spirits of even the most pessimistic Husky fan.

Consider the odd & weird first:
1. The backcourt of Nurse and Dangerfield had 13 points in the 1st period. Crystal had them all.
2. Katie Lou did not even try a three point shot until mid 2nd period with UConn up by 16.
3. Kia had 40 points in two pre-season games and only 4 against Stanford.
4. Stanford went 5-31 or 16% shooting in the 1st half. They had 4 points total in the 2nd quarter. :eek:
5. For the game, UConn made 11 free throws and missed 7. That is 61% for the team. :rolleyes:
6. The UConn bench played 59 combined minutes, but only scored 10 pts. Z had 8, Walker 2.
7. The Huskies missed 8 of their last 9 shots in the last 4:41 of the game, including all 5 three point attempts.

Enough with the wierd stats. What went right. And, I mean really, really right..!;)
1. Crystal exploded for 24 points on 6-7 three point shooting. Sweet..!! :D
2. UConn had only 7 turnovers in the game, but created 22 from Stanford.
3. Gabby filled the stat sheet again w/ 11 pts, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 1 block. Her penetration on lay-ups looked unstoppable. :cool:
4. UConn was up by 35 points at the half & only gave up 14 points to #10 Stanford.
5. Defense blocked 6 shots and stole the ball 13 times. Stanford shot 32% for the game.
6. Katie Lou blocked a shot..!! :p
7. On a night when Kia made 0 threes, Napheesa had only 3 rebounds, Gabby had 0 offensive rebounds and the bench went 0-8 on threes, the Huskies won easily, leading by 30 with 2 minutes to play.

One game into the season, a new streak is born. One in a row. A good start, but plenty to work on.

Go Huskies..!!

Thanks Dave. When we look at the game broken down as you have done, the second half doesn't look so bad. We must remember that the game was all but over at the half at 49-14 (UConn should have had 60 given the free throws and bunnies they missed). This gave Geno a lot of "wiggle room" to give the bench some minutes to measure their growth and development and their ability to execute his system the first day of the season. As another poster pointed out, the starters had their foot on Stanford's throat in the 1st half, and had the Cardinal gasping for air (4 points in the 2nd quarter).

As you have no doubt read there are a lot of posters here that are very concerned with the 2nd half play. Bottom line, Stanford really didn't begin to close the gap until Geno took some of the starters out. Also keep in mind that Collier only played 21 minutes due to early foul trouble. The starting unit is not the same when she's not in there. The overall "potency" of the starting unit declines a bit when she's not in there. Right now, there is no one else on the bench that can do the things she can do within the ebb and flow of the game. With the game no longer in question, and Geno having seen what he needed to, he began to clear the bench. Stanford exposed the fact that the "bench mob" remains a work in progress.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom