UCONN, Stanford, South Carolina and then... | The Boneyard

UCONN, Stanford, South Carolina and then...

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
everyone else. I think one of these three will win the next 3 or 4 titles. They are the most talented up and down the rosters, provided some bench players do not hit the transfer portal. I think an announcer said that South Carolina will have 10 McDonald All American's next year....geez....I am sure Stanford and UCONN can either match that or come close....but no one else for sure....Those are your elites for the time being.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
everyone else. I think one of these three will win the next 3 or 4 titles. They are the most talented up and down the rosters, provided some bench players do not hit the transfer portal. I think an announcer said that South Carolina will have 10 McDonald All American's next year....geez....I am sure Stanford and UCONN can either match that or come close....but no one else for sure....Those are your elites for the time being.
Don't forget about Baylor, in particular. I would also consider Oregon and UCLA.

Reaction Score
I agree with the top tier. But the top teams can lose to anyone at anytime.

Louisville just added Emily Engstler who is very good.
NC State is reported to have added Diamond Johnson and Madison Hayes. They are going to be really good the next few years.
Maryland is returning their entire senior class including Katie Benzan and Chloe Bibby. Add that to Diamond Miller, Ashley Owusu (Drysdale winner), Angel Reese and Mimi Collins and you have a great 6 player team. Plus they add a super talented international prospect in Emma Chardon.

With Baylor, you have your top 7 teams.

Reaction Score
All these teams are loaded and reloading. But Stanford continues to mine Colorado for players (Tara’s mom lives in Boulder) and will have three Colorado girls on roster next year, including a 6’ 7” post who could well insure Stanford dominates for four years. UConn has gone years without recruiting a dominant post. We keep trying to believe Liv could be our big girl, more time in weight room, etc., but after three years we have to accept she’s a Big East big, not a NC big. Sorry. Will Amari DeBerry be that post? UConn is stacked, perhaps overly stacked, at guard, creating potential playing time problems. UConn has relied on using only 6 or 7 players, Stanford uses its stronger bench. UConn is excited, as it should be, in adding Fudd, but Lauren Betts was the player to get. Fortunately, for UConn, Betts is a 2022 recruit.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
In terms of recruited rosters, that's absolutely right. I do think schools like Maryland, Louisville, and Baylor, all of which rely as much on transfers as HS recruits, have next-season prospects that are harder to measure the first week of April.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Too early to conclude that IMO, especially considering probably 30-40+% of recruits will end up transferring or wont stay all 4 years.

Maryland is right in that mix with Owusu, Reese and Miller for 2 more years and probably Collins too. They have everyone back next year.

Jeff always has Louisville in the mix and has a couple of good young freshman, a good recruit on board and he hits the transfer portal pretty hard.

Baylor is always a dominant program and isn't going anywhere.

NC State looks loaded next year with the addition of Johnson and major contributors all back.

Vic can work magic without a ton of talent and he's quickly building Texas up and may land some of the MSU transfers.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Too early to conclude that IMO, especially considering probably 30-40+% of recruits will end up transferring or wont stay all 4 years.

Maryland is right in that mix with Owusu, Reese and Miller for 2 more years and probably Collins too. They have everyone back next year.

Jeff always has Louisville in the mix and has a couple of good young freshman, a good recruit on board and he hits the transfer portal pretty hard.

Baylor is always a dominant program and isn't going anywhere.

NC State looks loaded next year with the addition of Johnson and major contributors all back.

Vic can work magic without a ton of talent and he's quickly building Texas up and may land some of the MSU transfers.
I did say if the transfer portal doesn't play into it...and I also said for the time being...I tried to cover my tracks....lol..

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Baylor, in particular. I would also consider Oregon and UCLA.
And Maryland. All their seniors are returning, and they always have great recruiting classes. Their loss to Texas was jaw dropping. I think they experienced what UCONN did, only Az. was better than Texas.

Reaction Score
All these teams are loaded and reloading. But Stanford continues to mine Colorado for players (Tara’s mom lives in Boulder) and will have three Colorado girls on roster next year, including a 6’ 7” post who could well insure Stanford dominates for four years. UConn has gone years without recruiting a dominant post. We keep trying to believe Liv could be our big girl, more time in weight room, etc., but after three years we have to accept she’s a Big East big, not a NC big. Sorry. Will Amari DeBerry be that post? UConn is stacked, perhaps overly stacked, at guard, creating potential playing time problems. UConn has relied on using only 6 or 7 players, Stanford uses its stronger bench. UConn is excited, as it should be, in adding Fudd, but Lauren Betts was the player to get. Fortunately, for UConn, Betts is a 2022 recruit.
We’ve heard this before. When Griner signed with Baylor, many simply conceded the next three to four championships to Kim Mulkey. Funny thing though, they only won once with the most dominant post in history. We will see but I certainly wouldn’t cede anything to Stanford except that they will be one of the favorites. Truth is, I’d much rather have Brady and Patterson than Betts.

Reaction Score
I agree with the top tier. But the top teams can lose to anyone at anytime.

Louisville just added Emily Engstler who is very good.
NC State is reported to have added Diamond Johnson and Madison Hayes. They are going to be really good the next few years.
Maryland is returning their entire senior class including Katie Benzan and Chloe Bibby. Add that to Diamond Miller, Ashley Owusu (Drysdale winner), Angel Reese and Mimi Collins and you have a great 6 player team. Plus they add a super talented international prospect in Emma Chardon.

With Baylor, you have your top 7 teams.
These are all good points. A few weeks ago I would have agreed with the conclusion that Uconn, Stanford and South Carolina would be a significant notch above the rest of the field. You knew for the most part the talent that was leaving and the new additions for the major programs. This unique season has thrown new variables into the mix.

We have transfers that don't have to wait, and seniors that can come back. That can change everything. So while I still think the top three teams will be the same, Louisville got not just Engster, but another pretty good transfer, and Maryland returning their seniors is a shockingly good development for them, raising the possibility of a powerhouse 4 or 5 not just 3. I don't think NC State has enough incoming and Baylor losing Richards and Carrington without a big incoming class, probably keeps them a notch below.

Reaction Score
So many teams have the potential to win some titles in the next couple of years. The key is going to be skill development, total team development, motivation, health, coaching, and a lot of luck thrown in there.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
We’ve heard this before. When Griner signed with Baylor, many simply conceded the next three to four championships to Kim Mulkey. Funny thing though, they only won once with the most dominant post in history. We will see but I certainly wouldn’t cede anything to Stanford except that they will be one of the favorites. Truth is, I’d much rather have Brady and Patterson than Betts.

Agree with the idea but this is pretty off base...I don't think anyone conceded titles to Baylor when Griner signed. UCONN was the heavy favorite going forward with Moore on board through 2011 and for a while EDD was projected to be on the roster through 2012. The only time people thought Baylor was a lock to win was in 2013 after they returned almost everyone from their undefeated team, but even then a lot of UCONN fans thought they could compete with Baylor due to their freshman class.

W

wolfe613

South Carolina I feel will be the favorite, especially the way they going to feel like on a mission on blowing the semifinals game. Could be wrong but they might be the #1 recruiting class coming in

Reaction Score
I saw on ESPN somewhere that Creme is putting out a way too early top-25 soon after the NC game ends.

I wonder who he will have. My top ten for next year, as of now, are:

1. UCONN
2. South Carolina
3. Stanford
4. Maryland
5. NC State
6. Baylor
7. Oregon
8. Iowa
9. Louisville
10. Texas A&M

This could see major changes with the transfer portal/extra year people

For instance:

*If Kianna Williams stays, Stanford might start the season #1.
*If Baylor lands a big time guard transfer, they could move up.
*Adding Engstler at Louisville is huge, but who plays PG?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For Baylor, it depends on transfers, Andrews's development, and PG play, but here are my top 5 for next season in approximate order:

UConn
Stanford
South Carolina
Baylor
Maryland

I think they are a cut above everyone else.

Reaction Score
Losing Onyenwere is huge, and nobody lined up to replace her at the moment. I can't see them being a Title contender.
UCLA women BB are usually good, with maybe one superstar, but not great. I live in LA and never hear of them getting a " to die for" recruiting class. Always her Stanfords name, in that regard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom