UConn/Stanford may be the top rivalry in the women's game | The Boneyard

UConn/Stanford may be the top rivalry in the women's game

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I wouldn't argue, but I'd say that's not a good thing. I've posted diatribes about what makes a great rivalry, and I'd be happy to rehash them here, but bottom line, UConn-Stanford lacks the necessary elements to be a great rivalry in the moment or predictably in the future. So yes, I'd say it's a the best rivalry, but it's not a great one...and that's bad news for WBB.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I like the rivalry as a WCBB fan, but the casual fan is going to turn on games to see Griner or Maya or Pat Summitt v Geno, etc. Stanford just doesn't have the names or the draw, IMO. Plus, the last national championship they won was in 1991! They are always contenders but haven't seemed to break through...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UConn/TN is still the greatest rivalry in WCBB. And they haven't played since 2007.

Both of those points are bad news for WCBB.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I agree. I bet most casual viewers don't even know it ended.

Man, I would love to see those teams match up again. Politics aside, it was always entertaining, to say the least. This year would be very interesting.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Stanford and UConn is the top Rivalry. Other then Stanford and UConn fans, the average WBB fan could care less who wins the game unless its for the National Championship. IMHO that's part of the problem for WBB, now that Tenn and UConn don't play the average sports fan could care less about WBB. I don't think there is a National Rivalry, only regional or conference rivalries that draw interest.

Baylor vs ND should be drawing national attention and its not. CBS could have rescheduled the game so that it could appear on CBS instead of their sports channel which has less viewership then ESPNU and they didn't. You can bet if the game was UConn vs Tenn, CBS would have rescheduled the game.

Reaction Score
I like the rivalry as a WCBB fan, but the casual fan is going to turn on games to see Griner or Maya or Pat Summitt v Geno, etc. Stanford just doesn't have the names or the draw, IMO. Plus, the last national championship they won was in 1991! They are always contenders but haven't seemed to break through...

1992 actually; The second of two. The other was in 1990.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Forget Tennessee. That rivalry is dead. History. Except for a possible post season tourney match up the teams will not play again as long as Summitt has anything to say about it. My only problem with that is I miss the butt whippings UConn used to administer, complete with Summitt and her assistants tearing their hair out.

If you don't like it, talk to Summitt.

UConn vs. Stanford is the top WCBB rivalry now.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
CBS has known about the (100%) chance of Baylor/ND WNIT Finals since they inked the contract. They were never going to move it. Good for them (in that it might draw people to the site) bad for the game, since no one will see this potentially fab game.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is the average Sports Fan could care less about a Stanford vs UConn game. Can't say the same about a Tenn vs UConn game. I know the Rivalry is dead and not to be renewed unless Geno retires. I suspect if Pat decides to retire, the series won't be renewed as the Tenn Athletic Department won't renew the series to honor Pat. There's not another WBB game that draws the average sports fan.

UConn/TN is still the greatest rivalry in WCBB. And they haven't played since 2007.

Both of those points are bad news for WCBB.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Stanford and UConn is the top Rivalry. Other then Stanford and UConn fans, the average WBB fan could care less who wins the game unless its for the National Championship. IMHO that's part of the problem for WBB, now that Tenn and UConn don't play the average sports fan could care less about WBB. I don't think there is a National Rivalry, only regional or conference rivalries that draw interest.

Baylor vs ND should be drawing national attention and its not. CBS could have rescheduled the game so that it could appear on CBS instead of their sports channel which has less viewership then ESPNU and they didn't. You can bet if the game was UConn vs Tenn, CBS would have rescheduled the game.

I'm not sure who this "average WBB fan" is. I don't think s/he exists. There are fans of specific teams, but that's about it.

And there was no way that CBS was going to put the Baylor game on its main channel during football season. I'm not even sure they have any available slots.

Reaction Score
I think the best rivalry is UCONN vs. Notre Dame at least until Diggins graduates and perhaps onward with Jewel Loyd. More games in one season in the same conference and in postseason. Intense defense. Two really good coaches. I love it!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So much of the Tennessee identity is wrapped up in them being the all time winningest program that zI really fear for them if, or more likely when Geno and UConn passes them in total titles.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So much of the Tennessee identity is wrapped up in them being the all time winningest program that I really fear for them if, or more likely when Geno and UConn passes them in total titles.
once Geno and UCONN pass them, they will then talk most about the 1,000+ wins that Pat has as the all time winningest coach.

as for the rivalry, to me, it's more than just two of the best programs over the past "___" years. it's about the fans and coaches dislike each other as well, and it's about the attention that a game between the two programs garners around the country.

Yankees-Red Sox, Duke-UNC, Dallas-Washington, Lakers-Celtics - those are rivalries that have lasted over the years. just because Pat won't play UCONN any more does not mean the teams aren't bitter rivals or that a game between the two programs wouldn't be much more watched than any other "top" game in WCBB.

i get the two programs don't play any more and outside the NCAA's, we won't see them match up. and i also agree there is very little consistency about the "average" WCBB fan. but i do think pick any two teams in WCBB, no matter how good you think the teams are and the interest will pale in comparison to a game between UCONN and Tennessee...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yankees-Red Sox, Duke-UNC, Dallas-Washington, Lakers-Celtics - those are rivalries that have lasted over the years. just because Pat won't play UCONN any more does not mean the teams aren't bitter rivals or that a game between the two programs wouldn't be much more watched than any other "top" game in WCBB.

Exactly. Rivalries are about the passion of the fan base, especially when opposing fan bases particularly dislike each other.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Forget Tennessee. That rivalry is dead. History. Except for a possible post season tourney match up the teams will not play again as long as Summitt has anything to say about it. My only problem with that is I miss the butt whippings UConn used to administer, complete with Summitt and her assistants tearing their hair out.

I agree they won't meet in the regular season, but the rivalry still exists in more ways than one. First and foremost the two fan bases don't really like each other in general. In fact, many people from each fan base cheer vehemently against the other team. UConn/TN are the two winningest programs, and are thus compared year in and year out. The continued acrimony between Pat and Geno helps feed the rivalry. The media plays it up.

If UConn/TN play again in the post season, we would witness that the rivalry is in fact alive and well. The anticipation and passion surrounding that game would be incredible. It would very likely be the most watch WCBB in history.

jmo

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
once Geno and UCONN pass them, they will then talk most about the 1,000+ wins that Pat has as the all time winningest coach.

as for the rivalry, to me, it's more than just two of the best programs over the past "___" years. it's about the fans and coaches dislike each other as well, and it's about the attention that a game between the two programs garners around the country.

i get the two programs don't play any more and outside the NCAA's, we won't see them match up. and i also agree there is very little consistency about the "average" WCBB fan. but i do think pick any two teams in WCBB, no matter how good you think the teams are and the interest will pale in comparison to a game between UCONN and Tennessee...
Exactly. UConn Stanford is not a rivalry by any stretch of the imagination. Just a game between two top ranked opponents.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Exactly. UConn Stanford is not a rivalry by any stretch of the imagination. Just a game between two top ranked opponents.

I agree. Rivalries are built on dislike and even hatred between either the teams, and or the fanbases. The ones that come to mind are Duke vs UNC, Duke vs Maryland, UCONN vs Rutgers, UCONN vs TENN.... and perhaps Stanford vs Cal, and TAMU vs Baylor.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree. Rivalries are built on dislike and even hatred between either the teams, and or the fanbases. The ones that come to mind are Duke vs UNC, Duke vs Maryland, UCONN vs Rutgers, UCONN vs TENN.... and perhaps Stanford vs Cal, and TAMU vs Baylor.
I agree. UConn vs. Rutgers was considered a rivalry until recently when UConn began dominating Rutgers in wins.

I would say UConn's current "rival" is ND.

Reaction Score
UConn - Tenn may be history but I don't see any other UConn match up surpassing it. A tournament match up would be great. Then next in order imo would be UConn - Rutgers, UConn - ND.... then UConn - Stanford.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree. UConn vs. Rutgers was considered a rivalry until recently when UConn began dominating Rutgers in wins.

I would say UConn's current "rival" is ND.

yeah... another thing in rivalries... it cant be one-sided. About ND..... I dont get the sense that the teams/fanbases dislike each other.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Here's the thing: mutual dislike involves there consistently being something at stake when the teams face up, and the feeling of having something taken from you as a result of losing. And the problem with WBB is that there are few programs that have stayed in the top 10 year over year.

In my view, there are five key elements of a rivalry, and you need four for a great one:

1. Geographical proximity
2. You play rarely but regularly. CFB is great for this because rivals play once a year, every year. Nothing like having bragging rights for 364 days.
3. History/duration of rivalry
4. Popularity on a regional level of the sport in question.
5. On a seasonal level, there being something consistently at stake when you play.

UConn-Tennessee had four of five of these elements.

UConn-Stanford only has #2 and #5, and those are only very recent. A ton has been at stake from 2008-11, but how strong will Stanford continue to be post-Ogwumike? Tara's a great coach, but she can't recruit everyone because of the academic restrictions. And will UConn and Stanford continue to play every season?

UConn-ND and UConn-Rutgers suffer from ND and Rutgers not being consistently strong. TAMU-Baylor was getting there, but it's going away.

Sorry, but UConn-Tennessee needs to come back, and it is a blemish on Pat's legacy that she was willing to hurt the sport she's done so much for by ending it.

Reaction Score
UCOON/ND isn't exactly trash either, but its just getting started. They play at least twice a year and last year 4 times.

Ynakees and Red Sox would be the best rivalry in sports except they can never play for the championship so the best rivalry in sports over the decades has to be Celtics/Lakers, no?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
UCOON/ND isn't exactly trash either, but its just getting started. They play at least twice a year and last year 4 times.

Ynakees and Red Sox would be the best rivalry in sports except they can never play for the championship so the best rivalry in sports over the decades has to be Celtics/Lakers, no?
Nah. Easy to remember the 60s, 80s, and recent memory, but the Cs haven't been consistently competitive the way the Lakers have. For my money, the best rivalries at are at the college level: Duke-UNC in MBB and a number of CFB rivalries: tOSU-Michigan, Iron Bowl, Texas-OU, etc. Even when one of the teams involved in those rivalries is down, a) they come back quickly, and b) the passion is there in a way it's not with a lot of pro sports.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

I don't think they even sold out the game. You can't expect a national media outlet like CBS or ESPN to dump football or men's bball for a WCBB game that no one will watch.
There is no rivalry, A big part of the UConn/UTenn rivalry was the jousting (mostly one way :0)) between the coaches. The legend vs the upstart thing. Outside of that - nobody cares. That will never happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom